Electric shock on touching the cabinet

janitha

Wise Old Owl
It is found that there is electric shock when I touch any metal part of the cabinet. Over the last several years I never had such an issue. What may be the reason and solution? The first thing I did on finding the issue was to check the mains earthing using a multimeter and it seems alright. AFAIK, SMPS is the only part where AC mains is present and hence the only possible culprit.

monkey

Padawan
I too had this problem. My Corsair PSU was brand new and hence it was difficult to blame it. The culprit, surprisingly, was monitor cable. There was some internal problem with the monitor circuitry and the current, somehow, managed to travel through VGA cable to the back of the cabinet. There it touches metal parts of the MoBo backplate and from there to the whole cabinet body.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Good to know you had the sense and the knowledge to check the mains earth with a multimeter.

Did you check the earthing between the mains socket and an actual earth like a water pipe, or did you check between your computer and earth?

If you checked only the earthing of your wall socket, then the fault may be in the earth path from the computer to the mains plug. It could be in the spike guard, UPS or the power cord.

With everything turned off and the mains plug disconnected from the wall socket, check for continuity of the earth line from the computer cabinet body to the earth pin of the mains plug. There may be a break in the earth line, or it could simply be that the earth pin of the power cord is not making proper contact where it's plugged in to the PSU.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Thanks to all of you for the quick replies and suggestions.

Initially I had tested the mains socket using a multimeter. The voltage between left and right (neutral and phase) was normal. (~ 220V) Between earth and phase, it was near to the mains voltage. (~ 217-218V) and between earth and neutral it was about 2-3V. Hence I assumed everything was alright with the mains. Yesterday called a local electrician and he checked it using a bulb between earth and phase and seeing it lit he said that earthing is alright and I may get the PC checked and if necessary, he will install separate earthing for the particular room but being in a rented house, I postponed the option. (I know these tests are not perfect but we do not have access to things like impedance testers!)

All the while, the the connection was from mains to a Belkin Spike guard and from it to an APC 650VA which supplied to the PC, monitor and modem while the laser printer was fed by the spike guard itself. Today made the connections to PC and monitor through the UPS, avoiding the spike guard and the problem disappeared. Then connected the spike guard to the mains and measured the voltages and it is seen that the phase and neutral are reversed, the right side terminal being neutral and left one phase. So my provisional diagnosis is that the Belkin spike guard was the culprit.

acewin

Point Blanc
seems you may have got the solution. I always like pimpom's approach for solution to these HW issues :D.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
My friend has the same problem. I always thought it was the cabinet's design (cheap iBall cabby). But now I see that there can be quite a few reasons. Will ask him to check the earthing etc.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Friends,I am also facing this peculiar problem of electric shock to my new cabinet from Cooler Master Elite 311.
Actually after getting my motherboard repaired ,which I posted at *forum.digit.in/hardware-q/197389-motherboard-problem-display-post-bios-not-booting-up.html,I purchased a CoolerMaster Elite 311 and a CoolerMaster Thunder 500W SMPS.

Problem started when I replaced my ancient/ageing/dated Cabinet from iBall the i221,and replaced that with the Cooler Master Elite 311.
I got mild (but still felt the jolt) electric shocks while touching the metallic part of the cabinet.

THE PC DESKTOP IS NOT AT ALL STARTING, WHEREAS ELECTRIC CURRENT IS FLOWING THROUGH THE ENTIRE METALLIC PORTION OF NEW CABINET.

But when I am attaching the same PSU(Cooler Master Thunder 500W) along with the same configured setup in my iBall case; THE DESKTOP IS STARTING AT EASE WITH NO ELECTRIC CURRENT AT ANY METALLIC POINT OR SURFACE.

Since I bought this cabinet from Vedant Computer Systems Pvt. Ltd. Kolkata,they had changed the cabinet and provided me with another new cabinet of same Cooler Master Elite 311. THE PROBLEM HAS COME BACK and it persists.

All my other components,PSU,motherboard,HDD,GPU,etc. are functioning well. Our House Electric circuit is grounded very well,and there is no leakage on current.
With the old iBall cabinet case setup,NO PROBLEMS/ISSUES are present. But with Cooler Master Elite 311,the electric shock is present and also the PC Desktop turning dead after switching on the power.
@whitestar_999, @avichandana20000, [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION], [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION], [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION] , @thetechfreak and our friend @topgear are all invited to save me from this cr@psh!t.

I do welcome suggestions and advice from any friend members of our @TDF.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Friends,I am also facing this peculiar problem of electric shock to my new cabinet from Cooler Master Elite 311.
Actually after getting my motherboard repaired ,which I posted at *forum.digit.in/hardware-q/197389-motherboard-problem-display-post-bios-not-booting-up.html,I purchased a CoolerMaster Elite 311 and a CoolerMaster Thunder 500W SMPS.

Problem started when I replaced my ancient/ageing/dated Cabinet from iBall the i221,and replaced that with the Cooler Master Elite 311.
I got mild (but still felt the jolt) electric shocks while touching the metallic part of the cabinet.

THE PC DESKTOP IS NOT AT ALL STARTING, WHEREAS ELECTRIC CURRENT IS FLOWING THROUGH THE ENTIRE METALLIC PORTION OF NEW CABINET.

But when I am attaching the same PSU(Cooler Master Thunder 500W) along with the same configured setup in my iBall case; THE DESKTOP IS STARTING AT EASE WITH NO ELECTRIC CURRENT AT ANY METALLIC POINT OR SURFACE.

Since I bought this cabinet from Vedant Computer Systems Pvt. Ltd. Kolkata,they had changed the cabinet and provided me with another new cabinet of same Cooler Master Elite 311. THE PROBLEM HAS COME BACK and it persists.

All my other components,PSU,motherboard,HDD,GPU,etc. are functioning well. Our House Electric circuit is grounded very well,and there is no leakage on current.
With the old iBall cabinet case setup,NO PROBLEMS/ISSUES are present. But with Cooler Master Elite 311,the electric shock is present and also the PC Desktop turning dead after switching on the power.
@whitestar_999, @avichandana20000, [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION], [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION], [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION] , @thetechfreak and our friend @topgear are all invited to save me from this cr@psh!t.

I do welcome suggestions and advice from any friend members of our @TDF.

motherboard shorting to case? standoffs, check them(might be at a place where there is actually no hole for it on the mobo and instead shorting the circuitry,). install mobo,psu,ram,proccy+proccy fan and boot, without front power/usb/led etc, use a screw driver and carefully short the pins of power of front panel header and check. I have a elite 311 too, no issues like that.

kg11sgbg

motherboard shorting to case? standoffs, check them(might be at a place where there is actually no hole for it on the mobo and instead shorting the circuitry,). install mobo,psu,ram,proccy+proccy fan and boot, without front power/usb/led etc, use a screw driver and carefully short the pins of power of front panel header and check. I have a elite 311 too, no issues like that.
Can't understand this. Please clarify a bit more.

madhu

Broken In
It seems, the issue is more related to ground!!! Ensure your earthing is proper with multimeter or Connect any other device like charger to the same socket and use a tester on the exposed charger pin(micro usb); if the earthing is good, tester should fail to glow!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg11sgbg

^ I did exactly with one of my mobile's charger bearing an exposed charger pin(micro-usb),through an electric tester. NO GLOWING OF ANY SORT OF LIGHT.
I again reiterate that this problem is not found on my ageing and very old iBall i221 Cabinet.

It is only happening on the Cooler Master Elite 311 cabinet( 2nd NEW REPLACEMENT)!!!!!

madhu

Broken In
^ I did exactly with one of my mobile's charger bearing an exposed charger pin(micro-usb),through an electric tester. NO GLOWING OF ANY SORT OF LIGHT.
I again reiterate that this problem is not found on my ageing and very old iBall i221 Cabinet.

It is only happening on the Cooler Master Elite 311 cabinet( 2nd NEW REPLACEMENT)!!!!!

Ok, to debug , just connect your SMPS to your cabinet and switch on & test with the tester with any output connector ( don't connect any connector to MB or hdd) this will help to identify the issue with MB or cabinet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
like [MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION] mentioned,it seems like some part of your mobo/some other component is touching inside metallic portion of Elite 311.Watch carefully & compare with your old iball cabinet insides to figure out which area might be the culprit.

kg11sgbg

like @kARTechnology mentioned,it seems like some part of your mobo/some other component is touching inside metallic portion of Elite 311.Watch carefully & compare with your old iball cabinet insides to figure out which area might be the culprit.
Admitting the case might be, but why isn't the PC not booting up,I mean showing any signs of life???

kg11sgbg

Shall be doing the test within a couple of hours. I shall report the activity/phenomenon.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Shall be doing the test within a couple of hours. I shall report the activity/phenomenon.

I meant the cabinet front panel LED,power,reset connectors, and usb , audio connectors to the mobo, do not connect them.
start the system by using a screw driver and carefully touch/short the two connectors on the motherboard(whee u plug the cabinet power switch).

and do check that those stand-offs(golden color fixed to the cabinet, back of motherboard) are present at only required holes for the mobo, anything excess it will be causing a short DEFINITELY.

kg11sgbg

To [MENTION=120531]madhu[/MENTION] [MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION] and respective others (observation of tests):--->

I just attached the PSU(Cooler Master Thunder 500W SMPS) onto the Cooler Master Elite 311.

None of the other components(mobo,HDD,fans,etc.) were attached.

Simply put the Empty Cabinet Elite 311 + PSU setup.

I switched on the power button which is present with the SMPS(Thunder 500W) after connecting the power cord of the smps.

The whole cabinet (metallic surface/portion) is experiencing a flow of electricity.

I also tested the various output connectors with the tester. Line/Electricity is present there.

Seems like some ground issue with the cabinet.

HOW TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE? PLEASE HELP ME @TDF FRIENDS.

Top Bottom