Electric shock from cabinet?

doomgiver

Warframe
I'm getting mild electric shock while touching a rough/pointed surface on the body/chasis of my cabinet (eg, the corners/edges).

What could be wrong? Is this dangerous?

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Seems like your surge protector got faulty.Connect the power cord directly to switch and see what happens.

mitraark

Decrepit
Had this problem with a Frontech PSU. When replaced it with a Corsair VS450, it didn't persist anymore.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm getting mild electric shock while touching a rough/pointed surface on the body/chasis of my cabinet (eg, the corners/edges).

What could be wrong? Is this dangerous?

It's dangerous indeed for the components.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
And how could I fix it?
Frankly, I have no idea what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be earth problems.
Try plugging in from other plugs.
hmm, its the same from 2 other plugs
Seems like your surge protector got faulty.Connect the power cord directly to switch and see what happens.
will try this.
Had this problem with a Frontech PSU. When replaced it with a Corsair VS450, it didn't persist anymore.
im using a corsair VX 450 atm :D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
earthing issue .. seek help of an electrician. Bad / Cheap Generic Branded surge protector - get something good like Belkin.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
earthing issue .. seek help of an electrician. Bad / Cheap Generic Branded surge protector - get something good like Belkin.
Get something like this...

Belkin Essential Series 6-Socket Surge Protector-1,010.

Link:Belkin Essential Series 6-Socket Surge Protector (Gray) - Buy Online at Rs. | Snapdeal.com

slashragnarok

In the zone
Sounds like there is no earth connection in your room. If you have a spare bulb and a couple of wires, try this. Connect one wire to live and the other to neutral. The bulb should light up. Now remove the wire in the neutral and connect it to ground. If your ground is OK then the bulb should light up. If this is the case then you got another problem. But mostly the earth connection isn't made at all in some sockets.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
Ok, since I've made this thread anyway, I suffer from an additional problem :

whenever the electricity comes back, (as in, when we get mains light again) my computer restarts.

I've currently chained 2 (yes thats right, i've put TWO UPS in series) UPS together, but my PC STILL restarts.

This is a typical sequence :
1. powercut
2. UPS takes over load (but it keeps switching modes as if its getting mains power for a second then goes back to battery... it happens very fast and it makes a very fast clicking sound, like, the sound of battery load > sound of going to mains power > battery mode).
3. genset comes on, and I continue work
4. mains power comes back
5. (genset is still on)
6. PC loses power for a milisecond, and restarts.
7. genset is turned on.

steps 4, 5, 6 happen extremely fast, and i think there's some kind of problem with the electricity supply too in our colony.

I'll call an electrician ofcourse, but what do you guys think?

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Ok, since I've made this thread anyway, I suffer from an additional problem :

whenever the electricity comes back, (as in, when we get mains light again) my computer restarts.

I've currently chained 2 (yes thats right, i've put TWO UPS in series) UPS together, but my PC STILL restarts.

This is a typical sequence :
1. powercut
2. UPS takes over load (but it keeps switching modes as if its getting mains power for a second then goes back to battery... it happens very fast and it makes a very fast clicking sound, like, the sound of battery load > sound of going to mains power > battery mode).
3. genset comes on, and I continue work
4. mains power comes back
5. (genset is still on)
6. PC loses power for a milisecond, and restarts.
7. genset is turned on.

steps 4, 5, 6 happen extremely fast, and i think there's some kind of problem with the electricity supply too in our colony.

I'll call an electrician ofcourse, but what do you guys think?

UPS'S DO NOT like to be chained, it is useless unless they are sinewave. reason for chaining? more backup?
for example there are 2 ups'es A and B..
Plug--->A--->B--->PC
when power cut occurs, a goes to battery mode. immediately b will also go to battery mode as it will not accept the square-wave from ups A. even if A and B are APC ups'es.
What is the brand of the ups? your system config?

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
UPS'S DO NOT like to be chained, it is useless unless they are sinewave. reason for chaining? more backup?
for example there are 2 ups'es A and B..
Plug--->A--->B--->PC
when power cut occurs, a goes to battery mode. immediately b will also go to battery mode as it will not accept the square-wave from ups A. even if A and B are APC ups'es.
What is the brand of the ups? your system config?

the UPS A is generic one, B is microtek (not mine, i borrowed it, will get details later).

amd 955 BE stock
HD6770 stock
2x HDD
2x fans
dell S2240L monitor

using a corsair vx450 430W (its a gold star product, and according to reviews it should be able to handle upto 530-550W)

thats all.

i will try to get a psu from somewhere to test whether its psu problem.

Shocking thread, guys.

haha :D

acepro71

Broken In
well this happens also if ur psu does not have earthing or ur home does not have earthing >.> just check these before also did u use standoffs ?

Top Bottom