1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

EFS Recovery in WinXP?

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by maverickrohan, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverickrohan

maverickrohan SABER RIDER

Hey All...

I have WinXPSP2...

I had had encrypted my "My Documents" folder in my C:

Then I copied the files in "My Documents" to a folder in my E: as Backup as I wanted to Clean format C: and reinstall WinXPSP2 on C:

The mistake I made was, I forgot to unencrypt my backup.

Now I cannot access these files which r on my E:

Here's what has happened till now:

I can view the file size and properties and also view the Encryption Certificate.........but it says that it cannot find the Private key.

I have tried EFS recovery softwares, but these did not work as they just search for deleted encryption certificates, & since I clean formatted n reinstalled XP, none are found matching the ones applied on those files.......

The thing is, my compname & account name & even the password are exactly the same as my earlier installation........hence it at least allows me to view the certificate on the files.........

BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY ADVANCED METHOD TO RECOVER MY DATA.....

2. itsnepal

itsnepal New Member

Hi maverickrohan,
    Did you find the solution for your for Problem, i got the same problem. Please send me the solution if you got.

Regards

3. kalpik

kalpik In Pursuit of "Happyness"

No way to recover those files.. NEVER use EFS in future..

4. champ_rock

champ_rock champ_rock

Somewhere on the earth , near the equator
    it cannot be recovereed.... a different installation (by a same cd key) will create a different encryption key... :(

5. OP
    OP
    maverickrohan

maverickrohan SABER RIDER

naah........i did not find the solution..........but i know there has to be one because it allows u to see the certificates, but u cannot recover the files as u cant get the right root certificates.......but there has got to be some solution .....

hey all u windows experts in DIGIT.........try n give this one a shot.......its a tough one to crack...but i know it can be

PS:
    Caution.........seriously........no one should ever use EFS.....it sux......it's too tightly coupled to ur User account, on a particular machine of a particular installation.......

Use other softwares.....at least u can use them between installs....in EFS...even if u know ur username password, u cant recover anything :(

6. kalpik

EFS used tripple DES, even the fastest computers today would take over a million years to break the code.. So in other words, forget your data..

7. kalpik

8. mynajib

mynajib New Member

I had tried Advanced EFS Recovery Pro recently.
    Conditions to make it works: (either)
    1. You must have its original certificate in other medium. (meant, you have save it either on floppy or other medium when you first time encyrpted it)
    2. You must use the same hard-drive that you use EFS as this software will search for cert and key (forget the attempt if your original harddrive corrupted)

If your issue is none of the above, just forget it & just dont buy that software.

Stay cheerful. 8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.