Education system in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

icehot

Broken In
I feel that the education system in India is outdated and needs a change. Students must enjoy education and it must be meaningful and useful to life. How can we change it? I welcome views of this super-intelligent forum members. Also, you can post your views here
--a site I stumbled upon recently

*hsonline.wordpress.com/2006/07/31/we-need-a-revolution-in-the-education-system-in-india/

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
Remove the current reservation system for higher studies
(and jobs)..make reseravtion based on
the financial strength of the student provided he/she is a deserving
candidate as per the norms including the priority in
rank list (which should be same for all)

Even the quality of institutes like IIT is coming down due to this current
stupid reservation system..And currently India is the only country in
world where deserving students gets sidelined due to stupid policies implemented for political gains. The same applies for jobs too..

Last edited:

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
I'm currently a student, and I'm saying, they should stop lowering standards of important subjects, like Maths and Science. What I'm learning now in class 8 was learnt by my brother in class 5 or 6. Lowering standards like this must be stopped. This may make our studies easier, but it will also lower our thinking abilities. And they should raise the salaries of teachers so that teaching becomes a good job as well. We need better, more educated teachers. I've seen some teachers who don't even know proper English. And my computer sir doesn't know a lot of things he should be knowing.

OP
I

icehot

Broken In
So, what is the solution? I think heavy syllabus is the root cause. Who decides this syllabus? The person responsible for deciding on this syllabus should be contacted to reduce the syllabus. Does anyone know who is the contact person? Is it the education minister or is it some bureaucrat or a team of professors? They must first understand that a change is required in the syllabus so that students get enough time to understand and learn. Respondents of this forum can unite together to send a memorandum or meet the persons concerned to reduce the load on the students.

More here
*hsonline.wordpress.com/2006/07/31/we-need-a-revolution-in-the-education-system-in-india/

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
I don't think anyone is really that enthusiastic about this topic of yours.
And personally, I don't think the syllabus is that heavy.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Students are loosing interest,creativity and innovation by the traditonal education and parental pressure of competition in the society.

the attitude of student is important..........what education teaches today is get more marks n be clever......and nothing of application of knowledge,creativity,innovation that the education has to impart in student ......exept how to behave in society and ppl.....i know many students today are brilliant and clever but not many are intellectual....
this is my opinion based on my observation till today with many freinds ,students including myself sometimes.........sometimes felt like education just ruined me......

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
^^
Seriously. There should be this subject where you interact with opposite sex and should be graded. Sure it would help many people to live more comfortably in today's world.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^+infinity. That was what i was planning to say. Do you know what load rests on a student's shoulders this days. I am a class 8th ICSE student and studies is the worst thing for me. Not because I dont like learning. I am a topper and proud to be one but the studies are over-burdening. I can find my path to success but 60-70% of students in my standard dont because of the heavy-workload. This year, we got our Terminal Exam time-table before than the Unit Test-2 result :|. Now this is the height. Exams are there every 1 or 2 months. If there is no exam, then probably, there are 3-4 projects and 3 journals for Science. School hardly gives improtant to activities like gaming, sports, music, etc. **** THE EDUCATION SYSTEM IMO!

I'm currently a student, and I'm saying, they should stop lowering standards of important subjects, like Maths and Science. What I'm learning now in class 8 was learnt by my brother in class 5 or 6. Lowering standards like this must be stopped. This may make our studies easier, but it will also lower our thinking abilities. And they should raise the salaries of teachers so that teaching becomes a good job as well. We need better, more educated teachers. I've seen some teachers who don't even know proper English. And my computer sir doesn't know a lot of things he should be knowing.

+1. What I studied in 4th standard, my sis is currently studying in 2nd. WTH!

So, what is the solution? I think heavy syllabus is the root cause. Who decides this syllabus? The person responsible for deciding on this syllabus should be contacted to reduce the syllabus. Does anyone know who is the contact person? Is it the education minister or is it some bureaucrat or a team of professors? They must first understand that a change is required in the syllabus so that students get enough time to understand and learn. Respondents of this forum can unite together to send a memorandum or meet the persons concerned to reduce the load on the students.

More here

Look around you buddy. This kinda discussions are everywhere. No one is gonna act unless extreme prohibition is sensed. Unless and until you go to the Education Minister's office, beat him up and shove an un-pinned grenade up his ass, no-one is gonna take an action. Thats India ! I wonder why people are so proud of being an Indian :|.

I don't think anyone is really that enthusiastic about this topic of yours.
And personally, I don't think the syllabus is that heavy.

Cant agree with you here.

Students are loosing interest,creativity and innovation by the traditonal education and parental pressure of competition in the society.

the attitude of student is important..........what education teaches today is get more marks n be clever......and nothing of application of knowledge,creativity,innovation that the education has to impart in student ......exept how to behave in society and ppl.....i know many students today are brilliant and clever but not many are intellectual....
this is my opinion based on my observation till today with many freinds ,students including myself sometimes.........sometimes felt like education just ruined me......

My school is kinda anti-social. Boys and girls are kept apart as much as possible except combined classes where teachers are standing on our head :|. The only time when boys and girls can interact is recess/short recess and leaving time. Great, isn't it? This is what we get for being a worthy student.

Last edited:

chicha

High without substance...
^^ this is one of the worst things that happen in our so called schools and colleges.
a school/college should be a place where there are no stupid stuff like this. really pathetic. i dont understand the idiotic logic behind this outrageous stupidity. i will never put my childern in that kind of hell hole. please pardon my language, but this point makes me go MAD

to change we need to start at the roots.
the attitude of the teachers towards the students needs to be changed, in my FINAL BCA our teachers used to treat us like kids. this is not acceptable.
the teachers need to be more broadminded.
And schools/colleges are the places where students pick up most of their habits.so extra care needs to be taken like seminars should be held to talk about the smoking and drug use and safe sex. some might say this is off topic but it is not every thing counts in those years of a student life. the young ppl need to be broadminded and these things help.

And universities need to open up to allow international standard syllabus and not stick to what our fore fathers have studied.

In most of the colleges and schools the teachers are not well qualified and the qualified ones don't teach as the pay is quite less.
teachers are very imp part of a student's life and for the same reason very strict interviews need to be conducted to choose a proper teacher.
classes need to be more interactive, this should start as early as 5th std.

As for the syllabus great deal of research needs to be done to see what new things can be taught.

all this will take time and if not done now it will never be done.

OP
I

icehot

Broken In
I am surprised that one person here has mentioned that syllabus is not heavy!!! The weight of baggage a student carries is a clear indication of the syllabus.
Who decides this syllabus? The person responsible for deciding on this syllabus should be contacted to reduce the syllabus. Does anyone know who is the contact person? Is it the education minister or is it some bureaucrat or a team of dumb professors? They must first understand that a change is required in the syllabus so that students get enough time to understand and learn

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
There are three types of teachers :-

1) Well qualified and determined.
2) Had nothing to do so became a teacher
3) Sons/Daughters of very rich people who have nothing better to do.

Out of this, in India, the 1st kind is only 25-30%. Second is around 40% and the last is around 30%. :|

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Even those who are qualified and determined, gets frustrated after a year or two seeing the corruption among others.

I remember my bag was full of HW, CW and all that sh!t. That heavy stuff could even put a shame to US marine baggage :p

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
I am surprised that one person here has mentioned that syllabus is not heavy!!! The weight of baggage a student carries is a clear indication of the syllabus.
Who decides this syllabus? The person responsible for deciding on this syllabus should be contacted to reduce the syllabus. Does anyone know who is the contact person? Is it the education minister or is it some bureaucrat or a team of dumb professors? They must first understand that a change is required in the syllabus so that students get enough time to understand and learn

That would be me. I'm saying the syllabus is not heavy for me. The weight of the baggage doesn't show the weight of the syllabus. Most kids just dump their books in their bags and don't even care to check if some of the books are really necessary. And many kids bring unwanted stuff to school.

In fact, the CBSE syllabus is damn damn less.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
That would be me. I'm saying the syllabus is not heavy for me. The weight of the baggage doesn't show the weight of the syllabus. Most kids just dump their books in their bags and don't even care to check if some of the books are really necessary. And many kids bring unwanted stuff to school.

In fact, the CBSE syllabus is damn damn less.

Try shifting to ICSE. Life sux.

OP
I

icehot

Broken In
May be Australian system is simple. They encourage exams with open book system. Their logic is that students need not carry so much stuff in their brains. They should only know things and can refer books and find the answer, which saves time of mugging . Some of the questions are so twisted in our system so that even if you have the text book, you will not be able to answer them. Teachers dont prepare the students for twisted questions, which are unwanted, in my view.

If someone can throw more light on US/Australian system, it would be more helpful

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Came back after my Maths exam. Actually I was back @11AM but posting now. Ok so, the paper was set by 12th standard teacher. I am in 8th. They say that we are preparing for you boards. Boards, WTF! The paper was damn hard! Not expecting more than 65. I mean why the **** does 12th standard teacher need to set our paper. Everyone's paper was horrible and we are expecting 30% failure from our class. :|:(. All in all, no one is concerned about a student in the Indian education system.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Shift to IB. Its all research and applications. No derivations, no theorems, no need to prove what already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom