ebay... trustworthy?

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
I was check out prices of sony phones on ebay and to my shock the sell it at throwaway prices..
SE xperia mini pro @ 8990
Sony Xperia Sola @ 17k
SE LWW @ 10k

my noob question is despite being such a big brand is ebay that trustwothy or is flipkart better??
what are the risks regarding ordering from ebay??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Ebay:TrustworthY???

The right question should be:

"Is <name> seller on eBay trustworthy?"

eBay doesn't sell you stuff. The sellers on eBay do. And feedback for them is right there on their profiles.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
eBay is trustworthy.

Yes, even if you buy products from a third party vendor, you get buyer's protection and good customer support.

I've first hand experience of that. My expense was refunded as the product was not delivered to me. eBay put a conference call with me and the vendor where they outright thrashed the vendor for poor service.

Please follow these points b4 buying from eBay,

1> Always try to choose a vendor based in your city. So that its easy to follow him up.
2> Check out his positive feedback %, and comments about him.
3> Always call the seller before buying the product about....availability, any hidden price, how they plan to ship, how long it would take etc.

My eBay history:
Bought, 1 500GB external HDD
1 2TB HDD
1 3TB HDD
KIS for continuous 4 years

Encouraged my room-mates to buy from eBay, who also had never faced any issue.

raj_55555

Journeyman
Yeah! I have also bought a motorola defy from ebay. I was expecting a free gift micromax q2+, which never arrived. However when I complained they gave me a coupon code worth rs 1600. :D
I had the freedom to buy whatever I want.

@rhitwick
How much storage do you need man? That's almost 6TB space. :O

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^lol, I forgot to mention another 1TB HDD :p

Ya, eBay customer Care is good.

b/w, I too bought a HDD at the same offer time. I received the free Micromax phone after 2 months! My dad is using it now :D

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Depends on the seller. You won't lose money in any case if you deal within the eBay environment.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Some ebay *sellers* are faster than even good'ol flipkart. I recieved most of the items within 2 days, and 1 under 24hrs. CC is too good. When buying expensive items, do look out for count of the items the seller has already sold. Greater the no, safer he is (in most cases).

Flash

Lost in speed
As ico told, what matters is the SELLER on ebay.
Comparing to online shopping of a seller, selling via ebay is hassle free. Here, the seller should be bound by ebay rules in order to gain +ve reviews.

If i buy via a seller's online shop (i mean not the reputed one), chances are there that seller may not give proper reply in case of refunds. You've to continuosly followup to get your refund.

But if you buy the same with ebay's paisapay, you are way safe. If you dint get your ordered product within some period (7-days i guess), ebay's paisapay system will automatically initiate a refund to your account. Either you will get your product or your money for sure, without any hassles.

Its all about seller's ratings and the way one is behaving online.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Keep the conversation and exchange of message within paypal. Use paisapay to pay. That should be good enough to protect the buyer.

shashankm

I reign hell..
eBay is great! Have personally bought stuff worth over a lakh from them and each time top notch, with few glitches in rare cases!

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^^ Ebay is absolutely trustworthy. Trustworthy, even though it's not selling anything, it's still a platform for buyers and sellers to interact and buy/sell products.
There are people who sign up as sellers and list their products on Ebay. Ebay just promotes their stuff for a small fee (aka. commission) from the sellers, which is usually a small part of their stuff's selling cost.
As far as buying from ebay is concerned, you need to be extremely cautious. There are different sellers selling same stuff and the prices may vary extremely from seller to seller. You need to have knowledge of the current market prices before buying stuff from there.
Also, you need to be cautious about some specific terms used in selling stuff there. terms like like new, * company * OEM, etc. Apart from that, you can keep a screenshot/print of the listing of a product you've purchased or are planning to purchase, as sellers have the right to change product description.
Before buying, a check, of the seller's ratings (aka DSR-Detailed Seller Ratings in ebay terms), buyers' reviews(available on his shop), is a very helpful thing.
As far as Ebay's payment policies are concerned, they use PaisaPay for transactions for below Rs. 10000. In this payment method, the seller wouldn't get the money, till the time you haven't confirmed receipt of the item. Moreover, ebay maintains a strict item delivery time, within which, the seller is required to ship the item to you, else, you get a full refund and the seller will incur losses in terms of shipping charges+ebay's penalty.

OP
cacklebolt

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ Ebay is absolutely trustworthy. Trustworthy, even though it's not selling anything, it's still a platform for buyers and sellers to interact and buy/sell products.
There are people who sign up as sellers and list their products on Ebay. Ebay just promotes their stuff for a small fee (aka. commission) from the sellers, which is usually a small part of their stuff's selling cost.
As far as buying from ebay is concerned, you need to be extremely cautious. There are different sellers selling same stuff and the prices may vary extremely from seller to seller. You need to have knowledge of the current market prices before buying stuff from there.
Also, you need to be cautious about some specific terms used in selling stuff there. terms like like new, * company * OEM, etc. Apart from that, you can keep a screenshot/print of the listing of a product you've purchased or are planning to purchase, as sellers have the right to change product description.
Before buying, a check, of the seller's ratings (aka DSR-Detailed Seller Ratings in ebay terms), buyers' reviews(available on his shop), is a very helpful thing.
As far as Ebay's payment policies are concerned, they use PaisaPay for transactions for below Rs. 10000. In this payment method, the seller wouldn't get the money, till the time you haven't confirmed receipt of the item. Moreover, ebay maintains a strict item delivery time, within which, the seller is required to ship the item to you, else, you get a full refund and the seller will incur losses in terms of shipping charges+ebay's penalty.

serious enlightenment:-D
so if i find a seller selling a sony ericsson xperia mini pro for 8.9 k is it a good deal???
NEW SONY ERICSSON XPERIA MINI PRO SK17i BLACK "ANDROID 4.0 UPGRADABLE"3G MOBILE | eBay

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Sorry to say, NO. This device is imported and is not covered by Sony India warranty, the dealer is offering warranty (which depends on the dealer-and in any case it'll not be better than an MNC), so, you may not be able to get it serviced in case the device breaks up.

mrintech

Technomancer
serious enlightenment:-D
so if i find a seller selling a sony ericsson xperia mini pro for 8.9 k is it a good deal???
NEW SONY ERICSSON XPERIA MINI PRO SK17i BLACK "ANDROID 4.0 UPGRADABLE"3G MOBILE | eBay

I see whole ebay in Yellow! WTF!

*i.imgur.com/OzJy8.png

*imgur.com/i2Law

:|

OP
cacklebolt

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry to say, NO. This device is imported and is not covered by Sony India warranty, the dealer is offering warranty (which depends on the dealer-and in any case it'll not be better than an MNC), so, you may not be able to get it serviced in case the device breaks up.

how did u know its imported???

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
It's there in the item description. We need to read each and every word in the product description very carefully, and that's the reason I stated in my first post that if possible, we should take a printout of item description at the time of purchase. Though the item heading says 1 year warranty, but in the item description, it's clearly mentioned that the phone is an imported one and thus a 1 year dealer warranty is provided.

Top Bottom