DVD writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumarn_2004

In the zone
Hi,

This question below might have been answered. Technologies changes even day by day and hence for your reply.

What is the cheap and best DVD writer?

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
First of all, you've posted this in the wrong section.
You should have posted this in the "Hardware Troubleshooting" section. :)
Go for Lite On Super Allwrite LH201AP which should cost around Rs 1,200.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I have the above drive. It sucks. Am waiting for it to give up it's ghost so that I can justify the purchase of a new one.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
^^That's surprising. I've read many positive reviews about it.
Anyway, the Samsung SH 203 is another option.

Raccoon

Journeyman
Are LiteOn drives even available in the market? I tried many places (in Pune), but could not get it. Finally found a Moser Baer LiteOn... got fed up looking and waiting and bought it. Seems to be ok till now... but its hardly 2 weeks old. Model is DH-20A4P23C.

As for Samsung, they had the worst reputation in optical drives... but I'v heard they have improved. I wouldn't bet on them though.

OP
K

kumarn_2004

In the zone
Hi Guys,

I have got Intel DG965RY original motherboard. I would to buy a SATA SONY DVD WRITER. Will my motherboard support this? What is the latest and best model of SONY DVD WRITER available in the market? Any other comments on DVD writer?

Dont go for samsung as the drive seems to know when it's warranty ends. :|
and it has the worst reputation among other writers...

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I had a samsung cd-writer 4-5 years old.. it sucked.

But I heard that Samsung has mended its ways , so I got a nice samsung dvd-writer . its working sweet...hope it it doesn't know when the warranty ends :D

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Go for samsung sata 22x dvd writer.

Samsung has improved a lot. Ur motherboard has sata ports & therefore u can buy a sata dvd writer.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
it was unable to read/write DVD. sent it to service center and never got it back. they would say that "you should call after 2 days" and if I call after 4 days, they would say "we gave it to someone else, you have to call again after 2 days". call after 2 days and the answer will be "not yet ready. call after 2 days".

I gave them my number and asked them to inform me when it's ready but the reply was "you have to call us and we cannot call you".

It was a service center in Jayanagar, Bangalore.

Last edited:

Raccoon

Journeyman
it was unable to read/write DVD. sent it to service center and never got it back. they would say that "you should call after 2 days" and if I call after 4 days, they would say "we gave it to someone else, you have to call again after 2 days". call after 2 days and the answer will be "not yet ready. call after 2 days".

I gave them my number and asked them to inform me when it's ready but the reply was "you have to call us and we cannot call you".

It was a service center in Jayanagar, Bangalore.

Thats sick! Did you try complaining to LiteOn? Is it a Moser Baer LiteOn? Try their toll free number and lodge a complaint. Or better still try to get phone number or email of someone higher up. Dont put up with it... make LOTSA noise!!!

Liteon is a very noisy writer. My sis has it. It makes a lot of noise.

Well, I got a new Moser Baer LiteOn couple weeks back, and was a little peeved to find the drive make a pecular kinda noise at a certain mid range RPM. But the noise isnt loud enough to be irritating or anything. I'm was just concerned if it was a defect or something. But now, after using the drive for a bit, the noise has almost vanished. Cant say noisy as such, as of now.

But yes, it does not have that "plush" feel that my 4 year old LG CD writer has (tray mechanism, motor, etc). But otherwise, no problems till now...

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Samsung SH 203
+1. Samsung amended their ways with this one. :)

As for me, I am completely satisfied with my MoserBaer DVD Writer.

kumar_n2004 said:
My motherboard supports both IDE and Sata based LG DVD writer. Sata based writer not available here. May I buy IDE based writer,I mean, any quality or performance difference between IDE and Sata?
Go fo SATA at all costs. SATA should be available almost everywhere unless you are somewhere near Mt. Everest. :lol:
If you go for SATA you have less cable clutter; and future proof as any new motherboard which you may buy later will probably not have an IDE header at all. :neutral:

Raccoon

Journeyman
^^^
Ironman, how old is your Moser Baer LiteOn drive?

I dont think SATA interface will make a huge difference in the drive's performance... so if its not available, it wont be a significant disadvantage. Though it is quite likely that SATA will replace PATA, I dont think it will happen that fast. It also depends how long you will use the drive and motherboard, to worry about it...

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Racoon said:
^^^
Ironman, how old is your Moser Baer LiteOn drive?

I dont think SATA interface will make a huge difference in the drive's performance... so if its not available, it wont be a significant disadvantage. Though it is quite likely that SATA will replace PATA, I dont think it will happen that fast. It also depends how long you will use the drive and motherboard, to worry about it...
Moser Baer (Lite-ON?) 8 Months used. No problems. Though I am surprised that people are facing problems. Tray mechanism; writing is flush. Though its not the fastest writer available. Its fast enough for my purposes and I dont think one would need to have a faster drive.

If you are not comfortable; buy Samsung SH 203. Though yeah, that is SATA too. BTW which city are you from? I mean SATA drives have almost replaced PATA drives. So it should be available.

Reagrding SATA being faster than PATA. Not anytime soon for all Optical Drives. Also; most HardDisks will also perform similar when using PATA. Though for Hard Disks I highly recommend SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom