DVD Writer - Not Ejecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I have a Lite-On LH20A1P DVD writer. Off-late it fails to eject out when the button is pressed. I have to turn off the PC & then insert a pin in the pinhole to eject it. Can the drive be repaired or does it needs to be replaced?

Krow

Crowman
right click on the CD drive icon and click eject and load from there. If not present, then DVD Decrypter has this option. I suggest you keep an old useless CD in the Drive always and then press the button. It should open as the same happened with my old Samsung DVD/RW. :)

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@krow - I used to use a damaged CD earlier but the drive doesn't ejects now. Right-clicking doesn't works either.

@hell_storm2006 - Around 1.5 yrs old.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Can the drive be repaired or does it needs to be replaced?
Yup. But we warned, there aren't many repairguy who can repair dvd writer properly. As far I have seen, people who have got their drive repaired eventually got burn in problem and then the tray acts up. Change the drive IMO, preferably an IDE dvd drive.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I think its time to get a new drive. If it's under warranty get it replaced. Repairing a drive doesn't works either.

harishgayatri

Broken In
There is a Simple fix for That Cool G5

Before I put my answer.
Does your drive's eject mechanism work?

1.That is open your drive using a pin and catch hold of the tray

then press the eject button on the drive.

If you hear a whirring sound then it is the conveyor belt which is giving you the problem.

Now follow the below steps
1.Switch off the system with the Tray open.
2.Now look inside the drive through the opened tray, you will see a Black Rubberband connecting 2 wheels.
3.Now If you have a small finger try removing the rubberband slowly from the one of wheels.
4. Take the rubberband to a electronic hardware store and show it to the shopkeeper. He will give you a smaller rubberband in comparison to the one you have.
5. Take the new rubberband and slowly align them in one of the small wheels and then use a screwdriver and pull the other end and align it to the bigger wheels.

if you completed the above steps.

Reboot The system.

the tray should go inside automatically.

That's it Enjoy.

PS: I have been doing this for my drives for the past 3 years

Harishgayatri

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
yes Gaurav,I have the very same problem with my Moser bayer Lite-on DH20A4P.That old cd method suggested by krow works and I've been doing that for some weeks now. Also I've opened the drive and cleaned the tray teeth which had dust accumulated,It helped but the tray problem is not completely solved,it still happens sometimes,replacing the belt might help as said by Harish . I'll try to change that belt tomorrow and let you know the result.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@harishgayatri - When I press the eject button on the drive, the drive makes a whirring sound while the LED glows up but after a few seconds the sound dies & so does the LED. I'll open up the drive once my exams are over which will take another week.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Risky! Its better to get a new drive rather than getting this repaired! The costs are so low that repairing absolutely makes no point unless the expense is less than 0.4k

layzee

■■■■■■
Check the 4-pin power cable.
That was the culprit when I had the same problem with my (now dead) Samsung DVD/CD-RW combo.
Moreover you'd be better off with a new drive than repairing it.

dreams

Gracias Senor
I had the same issue with both my samsung and sony drives. After much hiatus, removed the drive frm cpu, removed the plates, replaced the belt. Now it works fine. I have bought this belt pac for 5rupees some 4 years bac. Comin in handy only now. This pack has all the available sizes of the belt.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@sriharsha_madineni - Did you open up the drive?

I don't think pulling out the rubber band is possible via the small gap between the tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom