DVD drives and Writers capable to read scratched discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
AlienTech said:
Well I just take out the DVD reader from my desktop player and hook it up to my PC. It seems to work the best. Haven't had much luck reading scratched DVD's on any PC ROM drives. Or maybe I do but I am impatient and give up after its been running for 5 hours. But those DVD players, they have turned off error correction and since after 2 tries you cant read the data back properly anyway, it just sends the data it got. PC drives will keep trying for ever to fix the bad data. The only drive you can turn it off on is the Plextors.

I feel that may be the exact reson for the diffrence between drives and players in reading scratched discs. Thank you for the information. BTW how did you connect the player to the computer.

V.Prem Kumar.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
drgrudge said:
Samsung Drives, no matter how bad their tray is, is the best of reading scratched discs.

U r really right bout thier trays, my friend has a tray that is broken and swivels 180 deg. and comes out,

But thier quality is very good...

AlienTech

In the zone
janitha said:
I feel that may be the exact reson for the diffrence between drives and players in reading scratched discs. Thank you for the information. BTW how did you connect the player to the computer.

V.Prem Kumar.

They use identical IDE drives. You can actually install a PC DVD reader onto the desktop with some slight adjustments to the tray and get a huge boost in seek, scan and 8X play etc. The desktop drives are really cheap drives. You have to hook them to a PC anyway to flash the drive BIOS. Although the destop device bios can be flashed by using a self boot CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom