Dual booting SUse and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Guysi hav a total 40 GB HDD with Win XP with 30 GB NTFS partitions and Suse on another 10 GB.
Now i want to install UBuntu too.
1. Wud i b able to??
2. Also wud i b able to use same swap i had created for SUse??
3. Will i hav to create a new Ext3 partition to install Ubuntu on that.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

get any partition managing app (Partition Magic, Acronis Partition Expert, Qparted, Gparted etc) and resize the 30 gb ntfs partition so as to get 3-5 gb (8-10 gb recommended) free space and you're all done, create the partition itself from ubuntu cd and install it, ubuntu grub will most probably detect both of the other oses and you'll have a triple boot :p

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
you can install it, its 150MB+ download.

get the normal repos configured, then
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

eddie

El mooooo
Manshahia said:
Guysi hav a total 40 GB HDD with Win XP with 30 GB NTFS partitions and Suse on another 10 GB.
Now i want to install UBuntu too.
1. Wud i b able to??
2. Also wud i b able to use same swap i had created for SUse??
3. Will i hav to create a new Ext3 partition to install Ubuntu on that.
1. If you can make a new partition of at least >6-7GB out of your Windows partition then you can surely install Ubuntu too. You can use partition editor like gparted to resize your NTFS partition. If you don't have that much of space and just want to feel how Ubuntu performs then you can try using it in Live CD mode.
2. Yes you can use same swap partition with any number of distros.
3. To install a new operating system, you must create a new partition so the same is true for Ubuntu too. You will have to create a new partition.

[EDIT]Oops...I didn't see so many replies had already been posted. I had old version of the page in cache. Sorry for repeating what everyone had already said.[/EDIT]

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Chester said:
you can install it, its 150MB+ download.

get the normal repos configured, then
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Wat if i hav a DVD of some other distro which has KDE ??
CAn i install KDE from that??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Cos it's optimised for that particular distro. Chances are that you may break quite a lot of packages. Also, no security updates and stuff.
It may also cause dependancy errors. If you install from say, SUSE KDE to ubuntu, you will have to convert all rpm's to deb's. That's not just about it. There are quite a lot of differences between debian style and suse's style. You may break a few things.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
I m also having Knoppix which is debian based.
Will that do the job??
Coz it will take weeks to download 150 MB here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom