OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
Sujoy what do you think about this deal??
New Nikon DSLR Camera D5100 Black + 18-55mm VR Kit Lens+4GB+Carry Case | eBay

Though the buyer has good feedback but in the last 1 month he has got several complaints and mostly for D5100 and 600D...

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Like Sujoy already mentioned at the same price I'd recommend a 600D over the D5100 :D

Not kidding, the magic lantern firmware for 600D makes it pretty damn awesome - how about focus highlight, intervalometer, Exposure bracketing (with options), custom motion detection sound ?

Yes, I am shamelessly hyping the Canon with fancy terms, but believe me the 600D and the D5100 both are great cameras. I personally feel the Nikon has the better grip and the Canon having better IQ. Then there is magic lantern and that helps substantially swing the balance into the Canon's side. :)

I had seen offers for the 600D with the 18-55 lens in flipkart for just under 29k.

sujoyp

Grand Master
pranav you forgot the ultimate quality test the dxo mark ...in which D5100 beats canon 600d in every test...and its internationally recognised :D

DxOMark - Nikon D5100 vs Canon EOS 600D, the dxomark comparison

Also everyone knows that D5100 have better low light capabilities then 600D

dheeraj if the seller got complaints look elsewhere :)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Never liked Dxo mark results, I have had a lot of experience in some products that suggests those technical numbers dont quite do justice to the real sensors, a case in point being my late 920 which got one of the worst numbers in that test, but still stood up more than well to anything else. I get the feeling like those numbers describe a batsmans average and strike rate - which often bear no resemblance to how he is going to bat on a given day :p

In any case the magic lantern use cases for me beat some technical scores any day :)

And dpreview sample shots are surely better focused on the 600D :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
huh those software enhancements have no competition to the real sensor in nikon :D joking ....magic lantern is really useful

Ooh pranav now stop it...or else I will start reading reviews and comparison to find faults in 600D ;)

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
Thank you Pranav and Sujoy...

I would be now delving into the 'technical terms', features and ergonomics more and see which I find more suitable for my needs :) .

One more question are the lenses of both brands almost the same price??(I mean some basic ones).

What I had got till now(hadn't read much on comparison of both) that Canon has good movie making capabilities but the raw images of Nikon are better. Will post some questions if I am not able to understand something and I have still to read about this 'magic lantern' :D ...

Thanks guys

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Lenses are pretty similarly prices except for the the 50mm prime I think. Sujoy knows it better.

Essentially, all of EF-S lenses from Canon come with focus motors whereas some from Nikon dont. Hence, got to be a wee bit careful in comparing. Since I dont have a Nikon, dont know about their prices.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes almost all lenses are similar in prices...look you can not compare the prices one on one...but you can just say that for begineers they are same

yes nikon AFS lenses have focus motors ...and while reading the specification you have to see that it should be AFS only...but in last 10 years nikon have made almost 99% lenses AFS...soo no worries ;)

if u compare canon 50mm costing 6k to nikon AFS 50mm costing 13k .....then we can also compare canon 70-300 IS USM costing 45k to nikon 70-300 AFS VR costing 30k ....both similar performer :)

raja manuel

In the zone
Hello Raja,

I have seen the pics that my friends had taken with their DSLR camera's and they are amazing and the pics on Sujoy's and other's flickr account are also great.

As far as CHDK goes I had planned to use it but then dropped the idea because it was the only camera that we had and didn't wanted to fiddle with it.

Thanks

I would recommend you try it out to see how far you can push your existing camera and yourself. The straight out of camera JPGs I get from my 600D are nothing special (if I use the standard picture styles). The transformation once I put the raw files through a developer is stunning.

Two of my colleagues are trying to go pro and have D7000s with a bunch of lenses, and have even opened a studio. One of them recently won a contest and had his photo featured in an exhibition. It all sounded like the magic of a serious enthusiast with a semi-pro DSLR until the other let out that the photo that won the contest was actually taken with a point and shoot.

Remember we live in a world where more and more pro level work that used to be the domain of DSLRs is now being done with mobile phone cameras. An entire fashion shoot was done with an iPhone, and the New York Times put a photo taken with an iPhone and processed with Instagram on its front page. Yesterday's toys are today's serious business.

But why stop at comparing mobile phones with DSLRs? How about an advanced compact vs. medium format? It has been several years since a very famous photographer (one of the guys who pioneered the concept of ETTR) conducted an experiment with a Canon G10 vs. Hasselblad with results that gave sleepless nights to those who like to impress chicks with their expensive cameras.

Bottom line: great photos come from great photographers, not great cameras.

Also do not ever choose a DSLR without having ever held it in real life. The grip is one of the most important aspects of buying a DSLR.

when selecting a body , handling is very important...

This is certainly conventional wisdom but here is someone who argues against going by how a DSLR feels in your hand, particularly when you are new to DSLRs. I agree with him.

Do not buy a Non IS lens above 100mm if you are not going to have a tripod with you.
Unless you are going to be freezing a fast moving object where the high shutter speed would compensate for the lack of IS. And let us not forget a feature known as burst mode.

One of my friend has a Sony NEX 5R, and he is suggesting me to buy it or at-least try it before making a purchase.

The one sentence guide to buying a mirrorless : If you can live with the bulk of a DSLR, ALWAYS buy a regular DRSLR over a mirrorless at any specific price point.
Here is the wisest advice I have heard about cameras: The best camera for taking a photograph is the one you have in your hand. I remember one of the members of this forum bought a mirrorless camera because he was tired of hearing people say 'I have a DSLR, it is at home'. Now that is a sign of a person who knew why he wanted what he wanted and went for it.

lm2k

Journeyman
Regarding CHDK, i have used it since about a year. Firstly in my friends canon A3200is and my own sx150. It does give some functionalities like RAW mode, AV,Tv,iso overrides, scripts and much more but still i think it is not fair to make a comparison between a DSLR and a CHDK loaded point and shoot, it is like comparing a car with a main battle tank(each have their own advantages). So it all boils down to the requirements(shooting conditions) of the OP.
Image quality is just 2% of what we see, first thing is composition . We dont appreciate a painting for its IQ, do we?

One of my cousin is a photojournalist , when he brought his first DSLR the first thing he did after reading the manuals was to *learn to carry it around* with himself(this went for some 4 months or so).

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
Thank you all,

The 5100 has "Sophisticated AF system for this price" this is the main diff. that I fell that concerns me right now, so what do you have to say is this such a big issue that it can worth breaking a deal with 600D??

sujoyp

Grand Master
we have told you from start that there is very minor difference between D5100 and 600D while using them...u wont feel any difference when using them....pick any of it which is giving you a better deal :)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thank you all,

The 5100 has "Sophisticated AF system for this price" this is the main diff. that I fell that concerns me right now, so what do you have to say is this such a big issue that it can worth breaking a deal with 600D??

There is no deal breaker like Sujoy already pointed out. If there were - look at my signature - I wouldnt have bought a 600D myself over the D5100 paying about 3k extra. From my hands on experience 600D actually betters the 5100D in focus accuracy, expecially in low light. I have seen the D5100 fail to lock focus when the 600D was able to albeit after a bit of hunting. The Nikon has a faster Live view though and a slightly better grip, but the 600D counters with better button placement and DOF button (though I never use it anyways) :D

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
Hi,

Thank you all for your support I have decided to go for 600D, though day before yesterday I had almost ordered the 5100 ;) .

I have got 2 offers on flipkart :
1) 32248/- Camera + 4GB SD Card + Camera Bag.
2) 33945/- Camera + 4GB+16GB card + 58mm UV Filter + lens cleaning kit + Bag.

The only hitch with the 2nd seller is that he is a new one and dosen't has any reviews.

If you know of any better deals please do tell :) .
So, what you say??

Thanks

sujoyp

Grand Master
flipkart is overpriced nowdays...check local shops too...that card and bag is free from canon soo its not part of deal...uv filter is useless...just the Rs.450 cleaning kit is useful if they are giving lenspen :)

And we have seen 600D prices as low as 29k...32k is high

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Why not get it for cheaper on Ebay:
New Canon EOS 600D DSLR Camera Kit EF 18-55mm IS II Lens+4GB+Carry Case | eBay

Also, what are your reasons for preferring the 600D over the D5100 ?

Buying UV filters is pointless (nearly) unless your intention is just to preotect the front element of the lens rather than actual UV protection.

Or if you dont like Ebay for some reason buy from FK themselves (not any other FK seller, since in that case you are better off using ebay) and try to use the 5% cashback and EMI option:
Flipkart

Last edited:
OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
flipkart is overpriced nowdays...check local shops too...that card and bag is free from canon soo its not part of deal...uv filter is useless...just the Rs.450 cleaning kit is useful if they are giving lenspen :)

And we have seen 600D prices as low as 29k...32k is high

Thanks Sujoy ~@29k only 600D body is avaliable(I have searched: ebay, flipkart and amazon)...

Why not get it for cheaper on Ebay:
New Canon EOS 600D DSLR Camera Kit EF 18-55mm IS II Lens+4GB+Carry Case | eBay

Also, what are your reasons for preferring the 600D over the D5100 ?

Buying UV filters is pointless (nearly) unless your intention is just to preotect the front element of the lens rather than actual UV protection.

Or if you dont like Ebay for some reason buy from FK themselves (not any other FK seller, since in that case you are better off using ebay) and try to use the 5% cashback and EMI option:
Flipkart

Thanks Pranav, but the link you have provided, I have already visited that seller he has got 99.3% positive review but for the past 1 month and specially for 5100D and D600 he has got some negatives(mainly late delivery and no correspondence) ...

And the price I quoted 32248/- is after the 5% discount ;) :D.
The major diff that I felt after reading several reviews and comparison of the two cameras were 5100 AF and Low light capabilities, for which you have already given answers that they are not deal breakers...And I liked the punchy images produced by Canon(though many prefer the neutral ones Nickon produces...) And by the way do 600 has HDR just asking...

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
600D doesnt do HDR all by itself, although there is support for bracketing (then use some software to auto-HDR). But there are options under magic lantern (again a bit manual, but fun to tinker with nevertheless), which is what I use :D

If I were you, I'd buy from that seller. But whatever you are comfortable with.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, it seems like 17/20 -ive comments are from the last one month. There is sure some issues... Contact that ebay seller and whether he can make it without any fuss...

Checkout snapdeal... it costs about 29k after coupon...

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
Thanks nac,
Just ordered my 600D from SnapDeal...

Amount: 30795/- After copoun: 29795/-(There was another seller who was selling it for about 800/- cheaper but his feedback was bad 2.3/5 so decided to go with this one lets see :D)

Will let you know when I receive it.

Thank you all for all you support :).

Top Bottom