dheerajpant

Journeyman
Hi all,

I want to buy a new camera, I already have a Canon IXUS 100 IS, but I want a more powerful camera.
I have always thought of buying a DSLR, but would always postpone it. Finally I have decided to buy one anyways(was waiting for a good increment in salary but it appears increment is a myth :( ).

So, I have few questions before we narrow down a model(I am in no hurry to buy one, I want to be sure before investing :D ) :

1) How different(disadvantages, advatages) is a Advance Point and Shoot when compared to a DSLR of the same price range(my budget is around 30k)?

2) Is it better to go for a mirrorless camera or a DSLR? Though mirrorless cameras are slim but with the huge lens they look awkward to me

I am attracted towards DSLR because of the images they produce.

More questions will come as I do more research.

Thanks

sujoyp

Grand Master
I would put some questions regarding ur questions :D

1. DSLR's are for quality and cost ...Long zoom cams are for ease of use and compromises ....which one do you choose? Ask yourself if you are passionate enough to spend regularly on DSLR or its a one time expenditure.

2. Now mirrorless cams are quit small in size ...you can avoide those huge lenses if u are not a bird photographer ....they have very good quality and very easy to carry....but thing is it dont have viewfinder in most and no grip in most of them...where a dslr have optical viewfinder, much better grip but its heavy and had to carry in a bag...what do you say about this??

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
Thanks Sujoy for the quick reply I was counting on you :D :) .

Here comes the answers ;) :
1) I like clicking photograps and I am quite fasinated when I see pics clicked by others.
As far as expenditure goes I think for regular use, 2-3 lenses are enough(this is what I got reading threads that are here.) and I required I can spend in the future though not a humongous amount... or are there any othere expenditures that are incurred from time to time?
2) Though they are small but what I have seen if you are carrying 2 lenses than also you would have to carry a bag. So, size is not a 'big' concern for me :D ... So, according to you viewfinder and grip are the only negatives that we have when are talking about mirrorless camera.

Thanks

sujoyp

Grand Master
one more thing I would like to tell you before even selecting a dslr ;)

you have to take care of your lenses and dslr...you have to regularly clean them ...and keep them using....if u keep a dslr and lenses without use for even 1 month then most probably u will be getting fungus on them...which in turn never goes away and damage the photo quality of lens and camera....soo prepare to use it every week :D

ok now...next step is go to a nearby camera shop and handle the dslrs....and tell us if canon, sony or nikon you liked...then we will take it forward :) every manufacturers have different grips, different body and button placements...you have to feel it to know

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
one more thing I would like to tell you before even selecting a dslr ;)

you have to take care of your lenses and dslr...you have to regularly clean them ...and keep them using....if u keep a dslr and lenses without use for even 1 month then most probably u will be getting fungus on them...which in turn never goes away and damage the photo quality of lens and camera....soo prepare to use it every week :D

ok now...next step is go to a nearby camera shop and handle the dslrs....and tell us if canon, sony or nikon you liked...then we will take it forward :) every manufacturers have different grips, different body and button placements...you have to feel it to know

Hello Sujoy,

I had read this advice(fungus one) in some other thread that you gave to a new DSLR buyer, I will make it a point to atleast regularly clean the lens and camera if I am not able to use it(can I know why it is that DSLR's are prone to fungus?). I have already handled the DSLR's of Cannon and Nikon and found that mostly it depends on the amount you are willing to pay there isn't a standard feel to all the camera's of the same company...

Thanks

sujoyp

Grand Master
if u are not able to use the cam and lens the simplest thing to avoide fungus is to keep it in light such that it passes through the lens and cam....like keeping it in well lighted room with both caps of lens open...or keep it in sunlight but see that dust do not enter the lens :)
Yaah dslr and lenses are fungus prone coz of the attachment part...the lenses are open from back and camera from front...the moisture have ample room to enter :) its something like that ..not scientific through ;)

in ur budget u will get D5100 and canon 600D both are very nice DSLR and there isnt much to choose about...people say D5100 have better ISO and 600D have definitely better video controls ....
also as a system canon lenses are somewhat costlier then nikon ones ...but then we have third party lenses to compensate.

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
if u are not able to use the cam and lens the simplest thing to avoide fungus is to keep it in light such that it passes through the lens and cam....like keeping it in well lighted room with both caps of lens open...or keep it in sunlight but see that dust do not enter the lens :)
Yaah dslr and lenses are fungus prone coz of the attachment part...the lenses are open from back and camera from front...the moisture have ample room to enter :) its something like that ..not scientific through ;)

in ur budget u will get D5100 and canon 600D both are very nice DSLR and there isnt much to choose about...people say D5100 have better ISO and 600D have definitely better video controls ....
also as a system canon lenses are somewhat costlier then nikon ones ...but then we have third party lenses to compensate.

Somedays back I had seen on flipkart that they were giving D1100 at 31k with two lenses but the review for 1100D weren't that great(plasticky feel etc...).
So, D5100 and 600D both are around 30k and that is the price of the body only naa??
How much would some basic lenses which can take landscape pics or for zoom would cost?

And please also elaborate earlier you had said investing in future, was it for lenses only or are there any other things that one has to buy??
And in general how many lens are generally used in normal usage(I know its too subjective but like some some outdoors, family pics etc)??

And one more question with regular practice and reading about photography, is it possible to get basic knowledge about the working of the camera in about 1-2 months?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
1100D is good start if u are comming from point and shoot...but D3100 have better reviews then 1100D ...but that offer is awesome..
the nikon combination of D3100+18-55+55-200 will cost you around 34k

the price of D5100 and 600D at around 28-29k is with 18-55 kit lens :)

a simple zoom lens will cost you from 7k to 28k .....there are choices in both canon and nikon

the cheapest is tamron 70-300 di ld around 7-8k for both canon and nikon

then you have canon 55-250 and nikon 55-200 around 12-13k

then nikon 55-300 for around 18k

then tamron 70-300VC USD and nikon 70-300 for around 26-28k

for landscape and group shots 18-55 is enough

investing in lens is more than camera itself....other than that camera bag, clening kit, tripod, filters, flash etc

in general 3 lens is enough to cover most things ...a macro lens , zoom lens and a wide angle ....18-55 is good enough for family, holidays and party shots....but for indoors u will also need an external flash

yaahh just keep clicking and read...you will know all in 2 months :) ...but after clicking see what is wrong with ur pic...be critic of urself :D

raja manuel

In the zone
I am attracted towards DSLR because of the images they produce.
Can you elaborate on this? I ask because I have seen too many people look at photographs taken with very expensive lenses, assistants to hold reflectors, and extensively post processed from which they conclude that the DSLR takes better pictures than the point and shoot.

Have you done a comparison where you are sure that an entry level DSLR with a cheap lens provides significantly better photographs in identical shooting and processing conditions? Have you installed CHDK for your IXUS 100 IS, or seen photographs from others who have done so and still been left wanting in terms of photo quality? Have you learnt to push RAW files from your camera to the maximum in post?

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
1100D is good start if u are comming from point and shoot...but D3100 have better reviews then 1100D ...but that offer is awesome..
the nikon combination of D3100+18-55+55-200 will cost you around 34k

the price of D5100 and 600D at around 28-29k is with 18-55 kit lens :)

a simple zoom lens will cost you from 7k to 28k .....there are choices in both canon and nikon

the cheapest is tamron 70-300 di ld around 7-8k for both canon and nikon

then you have canon 55-250 and nikon 55-200 around 12-13k

then nikon 55-300 for around 18k

then tamron 70-300VC USD and nikon 70-300 for around 26-28k

for landscape and group shots 18-55 is enough

investing in lens is more than camera itself....other than that camera bag, clening kit, tripod, filters, flash etc

in general 3 lens is enough to cover most things ...a macro lens , zoom lens and a wide angle ....18-55 is good enough for family, holidays and party shots....but for indoors u will also need an external flash

yaahh just keep clicking and read...you will know all in 2 months :) ...but after clicking see what is wrong with ur pic...be critic of urself :D

Thank you Sujoy, for your reply. I read about D3100 and the thing that concerned me that it didn't had a AF motor so the lenses that are there for D3100 are more expensive... Do the Tamron lenses you mentioned have the AF motors in them?

Can you elaborate on this? I ask because I have seen too many people look at photographs taken with very expensive lenses, assistants to hold reflectors, and extensively post processed from which they conclude that the DSLR takes better pictures than the point and shoot.

Have you done a comparison where you are sure that an entry level DSLR with a cheap lens provides significantly better photographs in identical shooting and processing conditions? Have you installed CHDK for your IXUS 100 IS, or seen photographs from others who have done so and still been left wanting in terms of photo quality? Have you learnt to push RAW files from your camera to the maximum in post?

Hello Raja,

I have seen the pics that my friends had taken with their DSLR camera's and they are amazing and the pics on Sujoy's and other's flickr account are also great.

As far as CHDK goes I had planned to use it but then dropped the idea because it was the only camera that we had and didn't wanted to fiddle with it.

Thanks

sujoyp

Grand Master
@dheeraj thats a misconception that D3100 dont have motor soo its a problem ....for people like us who are newbies with no old lens it makes no difference...
And canon too have no motor inside...
the only difference is the cheap 50mm lens which canon cost 6k and nikon 12k ....remaining it dosnt matter about inbody focus motor

yaah Tamron have motor inside...the cheap one have slower focus motor and costly one have faster and better focus motor

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ You wont find Sujoy or me recommending the ALT series over the 3100/5100/550D/600D at the 30k price range. If anything higher, then the D7000 (Sujoy again)

I'd advise you to spend some time with the electronic viewfinder of the Sony models. I tried them and they werent to my taste - cue the lag and te unnatural feel. Also personally i feel that the limited resolution hampers manual focussing a tiny bit. But they do have crazy fast focus in Live view mode (the mode where you use the DSLR like a regular point and shoot, when the display shows the live stream from the lens like in point and shoots), the Canon and Nikon models at this price point are positivly slow-mo in this regard, but then Live view is of a pretty low importance to most people.

Also do not ever choose a DSLR without having ever held it in real life. The grip is one of the most important aspects of buying a DSLR.

Also note that I had recently seen the 1100D sell for 21k with the 18-55 + 55-250mm lens => The lenses alone are worth over 15k. Very very good deal, but make sure you handle the body firsthand. The build is plastic and while not a dealbreaker, when you have money to spend, it makes sense to buy a body that you truly liked. :)

And to dispel the myth of a good DSLR needed to get good pictures, every single pic that Sujoy took using his 3100, he'd have been able to take on a 110oD as well. the lenses and accessories are far more important to the final image quality, where the build contributes to comfort of holding the camera.

sujoyp

Grand Master
eeh pranav too many sujoy in ur comment :D

yes the optical viewfinders are much more useful then electronic viewfinder....the electronic viewfinder in sony's higher models like A99 are much better..
and D7000 body @43k is like amazing deal ;)

when selecting a body , handling is very important...some people like D5100's grip some 600D ....its a matter of personal choice...and between D3100 and 1100D, D3100 have definitely better body :)

dont be hurry for lenses...even I had got zoom lens only after 3 months of using 18-55 kit ...you have to learn the basics first...then see what is ur liking ....there are soo many types of photography genres ....each may require different set of accessories ...
will give u my example ...after getting dslr I got crazzy about macro photography of insects ....soo the cheapest way was to get a 50mm lens and use extension tubes with that...got both for 3500 ...now after trying a lot i found that without external flash its not just possible...got a cheap chineese youngnuo flash for 3500 more ....then got to know that flash light is harsh soo need a diffuser...got a diffuser for flash for 350 ....and then when I was good in macro bought a macro lens :)

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
^ You wont find Sujoy or me recommending the ALT series over the 3100/5100/550D/600D at the 30k price range. If anything higher, then the D7000 (Sujoy again)

I'd advise you to spend some time with the electronic viewfinder of the Sony models. I tried them and they werent to my taste - cue the lag and te unnatural feel. Also personally i feel that the limited resolution hampers manual focussing a tiny bit. But they do have crazy fast focus in Live view mode (the mode where you use the DSLR like a regular point and shoot, when the display shows the live stream from the lens like in point and shoots), the Canon and Nikon models at this price point are positivly slow-mo in this regard, but then Live view is of a pretty low importance to most people.

Also do not ever choose a DSLR without having ever held it in real life. The grip is one of the most important aspects of buying a DSLR.

Also note that I had recently seen the 1100D sell for 21k with the 18-55 + 55-250mm lens => The lenses alone are worth over 15k. Very very good deal, but make sure you handle the body firsthand. The build is plastic and while not a dealbreaker, when you have money to spend, it makes sense to buy a body that you truly liked. :)

And to dispel the myth of a good DSLR needed to get good pictures, every single pic that Sujoy took using his 3100, he'd have been able to take on a 110oD as well. the lenses and accessories are far more important to the final image quality, where the build contributes to comfort of holding the camera.

Thanks Pranav,
I was planning to get a 'handson' today but it is raining here so waiting for it to stop. And will definitely try them before buying.

eeh pranav too many sujoy in ur comment :D

yes the optical viewfinders are much more useful then electronic viewfinder....the electronic viewfinder in sony's higher models like A99 are much better..
and D7000 body @43k is like amazing deal ;)

when selecting a body , handling is very important...some people like D5100's grip some 600D ....its a matter of personal choice...and between D3100 and 1100D, D3100 have definitely better body :)

dont be hurry for lenses...even I had got zoom lens only after 3 months of using 18-55 kit ...you have to learn the basics first...then see what is ur liking ....there are soo many types of photography genres ....each may require different set of accessories ...
will give u my example ...after getting dslr I got crazzy about macro photography of insects ....soo the cheapest way was to get a 50mm lens and use extension tubes with that...got both for 3500 ...now after trying a lot i found that without external flash its not just possible...got a cheap chineese youngnuo flash for 3500 more ....then got to know that flash light is harsh soo need a diffuser...got a diffuser for flash for 350 ....and then when I was good in macro bought a macro lens :)

@Sujoy Thanks Sujoy for sharing your experience, frankly it was kind of funny but I suppose this is how beginners learn :) ;) :D ,
One of my friend has a Sony NEX 5R, and he is suggesting me to buy it or at-least try it before making a purchase. Truly, I didn't wanted a mirrorless but it truly has got some great reviews, what say??

It is some good money that is going to be invested into this so I want to make sure that I get a bang for my buck(So, I am trying to suppress my though of buying instantly)

Thanks

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The one sentence guide to buying a mirrorless : If you can live with the bulk of a DSLR, ALWAYS buy a regular DRSLR over a mirrorless at any specific price point.

The reasoning is that every camera is a compromise : A compromise of cost, features and bulk. Mirrorless cameras trade bulk for price. Not saying they are bad (they arent) but at any given price point, you can always find a regular DSLR that does better as a camera than a mirrorless version. You are free to choose a mirrorless even if you are more than just a casual photographer, but that should be only because you decide that a regular DSLR is too much bulk for you to carry around and no other reason.

Now back to what you wish to get from your purchase - bang for the buck. Then go with a regular DSLR. They are considerably bulkier than a mirrorless (I can only fit my 600D with the default bag inside my laptop bag and nothing else except a jacket squashed on the sides) but you now have a comfortable grip that you can hold for long periods of time at a significantly lower price.

The other thing I'd like you to know is that newer doesnt always mean better - I still prefer the D3100 and D5100 as a whole over their replacements D3200 and D5200 both of which cost 4-9k more than their predeccessors. Dont let someone fool you into believing that you are making a wrong choice by going for anything except the latest model, it doesnt work that way in cameras. Also, dont let the presence or absence of 'guide modes' fool you - within your first 1000 pictures, you will have developed the feel for photography's intricacies - exposure, focus and composition.

Rregarding the looks of the mirrorless cameras - even Dslrs looks pretty 'unbalanced' when you ewuip them with a lens thats set to 250mm or so (the body looks timy compared to the lonf tubular lens) but thats the choice you make. You choose to not let the looks deter you from taking a good looking photograph. At the end of the day nobody remembers how your camera looked, but they may remember the resulting photograph. :)

Go to chroma or ezone or any other shop where they let you try cameras. Dont feel awkward trying the cameras with no intention of buying them, just look at their face and tell em you are trying to find a grip and layout that suits you. Most of the salespersons there have no clue of the intricacies of buying a DSLR - they keep harping about megapixels and brand names - you probably already know better than them. I had probably spent something 10 or more visits to different stores spending some 10-20 minutes each time, focused only on the models I had narrowed down as potential purchases, before buying it from ebay :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nex5R is good....but its upto you..if u are fine with small lenses and unusual grip and no viewfnder then you are good to go ...I think anirban in our forum has bought a Nex6 ...you can take feedback from him about handling (check photography thread and you will find him)

As I told you it takes quit a long time to learn...and also you have to study a bit ...just get a D5100 or a 600D for now..play with it ...see the setting...try to mock the pics of experts...use photoshop....make blunders :D :D and you will learn soon...then get 2nd lens

BTW I have to tell you that winter is the time for birding...if you remotely like birding then Nikon 55-300 or canon 55-250 are the cheap options you have.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
BTW I have to tell you that winter is the time for birding...if you remotely like birding then Nikon 55-300 or canon 55-250 are the cheap options you have.

Adding this little bit : Do not buy a Non IS lens above 100mm if you are not going to have a tripod with you. :)

OP
D

dheerajpant

Journeyman
The one sentence guide to buying a mirrorless : If you can live with the bulk of a DSLR, ALWAYS buy a regular DRSLR over a mirrorless at any specific price point.

The reasoning is that every camera is a compromise : A compromise of cost, features and bulk. Mirrorless cameras trade bulk for price. Not saying they are bad (they arent) but at any given price point, you can always find a regular DSLR that does better as a camera than a mirrorless version. You are free to choose a mirrorless even if you are more than just a casual photographer, but that should be only because you decide that a regular DSLR is too much bulk for you to carry around and no other reason.

Now back to what you wish to get from your purchase - bang for the buck. Then go with a regular DSLR. They are considerably bulkier than a mirrorless (I can only fit my 600D with the default bag inside my laptop bag and nothing else except a jacket squashed on the sides) but you now have a comfortable grip that you can hold for long periods of time at a significantly lower price.

The other thing I'd like you to know is that newer doesnt always mean better - I still prefer the D3100 and D5100 as a whole over their replacements D3200 and D5200 both of which cost 4-9k more than their predeccessors. Dont let someone fool you into believing that you are making a wrong choice by going for anything except the latest model, it doesnt work that way in cameras. Also, dont let the presence or absence of 'guide modes' fool you - within your first 1000 pictures, you will have developed the feel for photography's intricacies - exposure, focus and composition.

Rregarding the looks of the mirrorless cameras - even Dslrs looks pretty 'unbalanced' when you ewuip them with a lens thats set to 250mm or so (the body looks timy compared to the lonf tubular lens) but thats the choice you make. You choose to not let the looks deter you from taking a good looking photograph. At the end of the day nobody remembers how your camera looked, but they may remember the resulting photograph. :)

Go to chroma or ezone or any other shop where they let you try cameras. Dont feel awkward trying the cameras with no intention of buying them, just look at their face and tell em you are trying to find a grip and layout that suits you. Most of the salespersons there have no clue of the intricacies of buying a DSLR - they keep harping about megapixels and brand names - you probably already know better than them. I had probably spent something 10 or more visits to different stores spending some 10-20 minutes each time, focused only on the models I had narrowed down as potential purchases, before buying it from ebay :D

Hi, as soon as the rain stopped I went to a mall nearby, it had a Sony and Cannon store no Croma or eZone... So, went to Cannon tried 600D it had a good grip but didn't had anything to compare it against so, next time would try to find a mall with some electronic store so that it have models to compare... And what do you think whether ebay has better offers than flipkart etc?

Nex5R is good....but its upto you..if u are fine with small lenses and unusual grip and no viewfnder then you are good to go ...I think anirban in our forum has bought a Nex6 ...you can take feedback from him about handling (check photography thread and you will find him)

As I told you it takes quit a long time to learn...and also you have to study a bit ...just get a D5100 or a 600D for now..play with it ...see the setting...try to mock the pics of experts...use photoshop....make blunders :D :D and you will learn soon...then get 2nd lens

'Birding' sounds good ;) .

According to you which is better D5100, D3100 or 600D(I would be reading the reviews but as you guys are 'initiated' and have hands on so it helps :D )??

And why is 3100 considered to be more begineer friendly than 5100??

Thanks

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nooooo this is a impossible question which dslr is better :D Me(nikonian with D3100) and pranav(cononite with 600D) will fight to death and u wont be able to decide anything :D :D

Short answer D5100 and 600D are equal ...just feel them in hand and select which u like

D3100 may be a begineer friendly dslr coz its cheap, its lightweight, it have less features ...it have that noob mode (which i never used) ...and its pic quality is still great
but comon I have been using it from last 3 years in various condition...its not that bad ;) yes but now I want to upgrade to D7100 :)

Top Bottom