DSLR Dilemma......

digik

Journeyman
How does it clean when it doesnot have liquids??

LENSPEN

[URL=*s953.photobucket.com/user/vvvinashhh/media/IMG_20131121_172146_zps41f73514.jpg.html][IMG]*i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/vvvinashhh/IMG_20131121_172146_zps41f73514.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Arrived on Friday,End of days for Lens cleaning with a cloth.

How does it clean when it doesnot have liquids??

siddharthx64

A Droid in a Tux
This thread has been one hell of an informative post!

I ought to thank all of you guys (novices and "Sir"s alike) :p . A lot of the doubts that I had got cleared just by going through this thread (I went through all 13 pages of it).

Now here's my noob question:

What lens would I need to get for my 600D to get the same optical zoom range that a p'n's bridge camera (like coolpix L520) would provide? (say 30x as they say in P'n's category)

Before going for a Dslr, I was very much focused on this bridge (I know "Bridge" is a misnomer, but still) camera, but then decided that it was too costly to go for a cam in this price range and still not have all the manual controls.

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok lets see the official specs

Nikon L520 = 24-1000mm (42x)

my kit have 18-55+55-200+150-500 thats 18-500 range that is equal to 24-750mm on my D3100 or D7000 and lens will cost me 76k minimum

but the advantage is I can crop my pic to 1/4 and still get the same quality pic ...but on a superzoom on full zoom shot if u try to crop it...u will get a much degraded image

If I add the new Tamron 150-600 worth 80k I may reach 900mm in total but then total cost would be 96k

siddharthx64

A Droid in a Tux
Oh! That was very enlightening, Sujoyp . . . .

Do you mean to say that I would have to pay over three times the amount for the same amount of zoom (grated the quality degradation)?

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@siddharth: Believe you me that was the first question I asked when I bought a DSLR (sorry an MILC). So here is how it works, a zoom rating is basically the max focal length divided by the min focal length. So for a canon SX120 its 60mm divided by 6mm (10X zoom). But to be hones this zoom figure is mostly useless for a DSLR. For example a kit lens will be 18mm - 50mm is a 2.7X zoom so is a 150mm - 400mm, but a 400mm will give you magnifications that your bridge cam can't even dream of giving.

Basis this if you wanted a lens that gave you the same focal length range that your bridge gives then you should look at something like a 18-200mm lens. But these are monsters to carry and very expensive.

But life is not that simple, so you also have what people call the crop factor. This simply means that since a bridge cam has a smaller sensor it will capture a smaller part of the image seen. Since increasing focal length (zooming in) also reduces the part of the image captured the crop factor is usually given as a multiplication factor of the focal length. Sorry if I lost you there, but in simple words that means that if I had a film camera (full frame camera) and your APSC sensory 600d (which has a crop factor of 1.5X) then at 50mm the APSC would capture an image with the same field of view as the film camera at 1.5X50mm ie 75mm.

A bridge camera usually has a crop factor of 6X (got from some random site for my Canon Sx120), so a 6mm-60mm lens acts like a 36mm-360mm lens on a film/full frame camera. Or like a (36/1.5mm to 360/1.5mm) 24mm-240mm lens on your 600D. You can do the same calculation for the bridge camera that you had in mind, but trust me it makes more sense to buy separate lenses. Sense in terms of better visual quality, less money and less bulk.

whew....

@sujoy: cropping on superzoom gives a low quality image? this is pure optical zoom only, I guess it won't matter

Last edited:

siddharthx64

A Droid in a Tux
That clears it up.

:)
Thanks a lot for that info, both of you guys :)
:)

- - - Updated - - -

This makes so much sense!
Will begin practising this weekend. :)
Thanks guys

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am very sorry to read this amlan...but u are still confused about crop factor

lets see one by one -
400mm is always a 400mm...and its counted on Full frame DSLR basis
APSC crop factor makes it looks like 400*1.5 = 600mm
m4/3 have 2x = 400*2 = 800mm
1" (nikon 1 series, sony rx100)sensor have 2.7*
1/1.7" (canon s100, Nikon P7100) sensor have 4.2
1/2.3" most point and shoot and superzooms 5.2

Nikon P520 have 4.3 - 180 mm (35 mm Equivalent to 24 - 1000 mm)

when we say Nikon P520 have a 24-1000mm lens thats on full frame range ...and funnily its just the opposite of how we calculate focal length on APSC sensor cameras
thats coz its a marketing gimmik ...and I too got confused

now P520 reached 1000mm on full frame range and to get that much focal length I need to spend what I told before at least 96k

this 1000mm will actually zoom more than my 150-500 (280-750 on apsc) ...but since the lens is soo small it wont be able to keep up with the quality what a proper lens will make.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yesterday, I was looking for longest focal length lens for consumer use. Today, you guys are talking about it...

Canon have made a 5200mm lens (only three were made till date. If I remember correct, they are not making it now. Price is not available, but there was an ebay listing for some five digit figure (USD).
Nikon have made a 2000mm lens (I think it's F mount, Sujoy you can add this in your wishlist ;)
Canon made a 1200mm USM (EF mount) but discontinued. Price of the lens was $120000 (yes, its hundred and twenty grand). They were making just two lens per year. Yeah, it took one year to grow fluorite for this lens. (don't ask me what is fluorite :))).

- - - Updated - - -

but a 400mm will give you magnifications that your bridge cam can't even dream of giving.
What?:shock: Actually, it's other way... 400mm is nowhere close to today's 1200mm, 1440mm and 1550mm of bridge cam's.

@sujoy: cropping on superzoom gives a low quality image? this is pure optical zoom only, I guess it won't matter
Yes, IQ will drop. Even DSLR's (at least entry level)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Got it.. so the crop factor of this cam is about 5.6 (that's quite a lot). So for an APSC to give similar images we need to have a (24/1.5 to 1000/1.5) 16mm-650mm lens. Or am I still messing up the calculations somehow?

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac right now the best consumer combo would be Nikon V2 + Nikon 800mm f5.6 VR = 2160mm at $18000 and its readily available
and if you can use TC then Nikon V2+Nikon 800mm f5.6 VR+1.4x TC = 3024 (max aperture of F8 supported)

:D:D

amlan this time u are right :)

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
nac right now the best consumer combo would be Nikon V2 + Nikon 800mm f5.6 VR = 2160mm at $18000 and its readily available
and if you can use TC then Nikon V2+Nikon 800mm f5.6 VR+1.4x TC = 3024 (max aperture of F8 supported)
Yeah, even FZ70 with tele converter can't reach this range. But 18 grand... oops!!! That's not something I would even think of... :)

tkin

Back to school!!
@siddharth: Believe you me that was the first question I asked when I bought a DSLR (sorry an MILC). So here is how it works, a zoom rating is basically the max focal length divided by the min focal length. So for a canon SX120 its 60mm divided by 6mm (10X zoom). But to be hones this zoom figure is mostly useless for a DSLR. For example a kit lens will be 18mm - 50mm is a 2.7X zoom so is a 150mm - 400mm, but a 400mm will give you magnifications that your bridge cam can't even dream of giving.

Basis this if you wanted a lens that gave you the same focal length range that your bridge gives then you should look at something like a 18-200mm lens. But these are monsters to carry and very expensive.

But life is not that simple, so you also have what people call the crop factor. This simply means that since a bridge cam has a smaller sensor it will capture a smaller part of the image seen. Since increasing focal length (zooming in) also reduces the part of the image captured the crop factor is usually given as a multiplication factor of the focal length. Sorry if I lost you there, but in simple words that means that if I had a film camera (full frame camera) and your APSC sensory 600d (which has a crop factor of 1.5X) then at 50mm the APSC would capture an image with the same field of view as the film camera at 1.5X50mm ie 75mm.

A bridge camera usually has a crop factor of 6X (got from some random site for my Canon Sx120), so a 6mm-60mm lens acts like a 36mm-360mm lens on a film/full frame camera. Or like a (36/1.5mm to 360/1.5mm) 24mm-240mm lens on your 600D. You can do the same calculation for the bridge camera that you had in mind, but trust me it makes more sense to buy separate lenses. Sense in terms of better visual quality, less money and less bulk.

whew....

Yes, but the resolution of the image will decrease, so there's a limit to how much you can effectively crop.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ :D
I can dream about anything. But if practically something is possible, that can be... A DSLR with a prime lens.

Top Bottom