DSL on Pen Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
I recently bought a new pen drive and tried installing DSL (Damn Small Linux) on it. I used this guide to intsall it. Everything was perfect. But DSL does not work. When I boot from my USB drive, I get the main DSL screen, where I press enter. After that it checks my USB device, tries to load the Knoppix Filesystem, but is unable to do so. i get an error message saying, "Unable to read Knoppix filesystem. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."

After the step, where it shows "Scanning for USB devices", my motherboard stops reading my USB drive, and the Light in the drive turns off.

When I tried this on another computer, it was working absolutely fine.. Any ideas? Some BIOS conflict?? Do I have to set some other properties in my BIOS, apart from the boot priority?? I have enabled the "Boot from USB drive support" from the BIOS.

eddie

El mooooo
What Motherboard model do you have and what model was it on which DSL worked. Also, do you have some other USB device connected on your system or more specifically on same USB controller / pair.

OP
ApoorvKhatreja

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
@eddie

Intel D101Ggc Motherboard

what model was it on which DSL worked

I don't know. It's a HP Pavillion at my school.

do you have some other USB device connected on your system or more specifically on same USB controller / pair.

What do you mean by the same USB Pair?? Anyway, no other USB device attached to my computer.

@mediator

256 MB DDR 400 Mhz RAM.

OP
ApoorvKhatreja

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
Knoppix working fine, there is some compatibility problem with DSL. My friend has ASUS A8NE motherboard, not working on his computer too. Though the problem was different there. The system hangs on the step "automounting devices".

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It seems DSL uses 2.4.x kernel, well there could be something missing. But, it's difficult to ascertain for me atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom