Droid versus Ios efficiency.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
about the xda was going a. bit too far but I never mentioned multitasking in efficiency.. and the guy using n9 ... your phone has a 1ghz cortex a8 which is powerful even by todays standards

R2K

In the Zone
I have no idea about the technical details but who ever have used both droid and iOS atleast a single time will definitely agree that iOS is definitely the faster one.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Need to make a few points here
NoasArcAngel said:
by Droid I mean android only I
thought it sounded more macho
No it doesnt. Atleast not on the thread title
NoasArcAngel said:
so I guess that settles this then .....
android ftw apple ios-noob
too immature of a comment
R2K said:
I have no idea about the technical details but who ever have used both droid and iOS atleast a single time will definitely agree that iOS is definitely the faster one.
Correct. There are many reasons here which already have been shouted on many other threads. To start with a particular iOS has very limited devices to be compatible with. So the coding will be direct to meet that specific type of hardware. Secondly it also doesnt have a proper filesystem. All song names are some random charecters. Applications are directly stored in .IPA form.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Secondly it also doesnt have a proper filesystem. All song names are some random charecters.

That's completely false. there's a perfectly fine *nix style filesystem that's protected by a jail. Song names as random characters is the way iTunes does protect-using-obscurity.

Applications are directly stored in .IPA form.

which is nothing but an archive, much like an apk. Please research before posting.

oval_man

Journeyman
The very advantage of Android is even a common man buy and use it,

But,iOS is meant for only 'Wealthy People'

Be happy with what you have!

OP
AndroidFan

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
That's completely false. there's a perfectly fine *nix style filesystem that's protected by a jail. Song names as random characters is the way iTunes does protect-using-obscurity.

1. What is the meaning of "protect-using-obscurity"? That's totally rubbish talk...

2. Which file manager do you use on your jailbroken iPhone?

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
1. What is the meaning of "protect-using-obscurity"? That's totally rubbish talk...

2. Which file manager do you use on your jailbroken iPhone?

1. Security through obscurity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Don't have an iPhone now, when I did used to ssh into the device. Didn't use file managers.

OP
AndroidFan

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
1. Security through obscurity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't want a wikipedia link... I want to know what it means with regards to iOS... What kind of security does it provide by hiding mp3 files and videos and PDF files in obscure formats?

2. Don't have an iPhone now, when I did used to ssh into the device. Didn't use file managers.

If iOS has a file system, why can't you name a couple of good file managers? I can list a dozen file managers in Android...

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
iOS ecosystem full of el cheapos
you would expect some great and awesome apps at the $2.99 price point or the $5.99 pricepoint... but nope what you do get is everything from Asphalt to World of Goo dropping prices to $0.99
some like lane splitter, star dunk, canon cat, tiny tower use a freemium model where basically you get the game for free
there are price drops and sales and new releases every hour and fans have to watch NZ, Canada and US stores apart from the Store of the country they are in

so you would expect people with premium phones to demand a lot of premium apps... but nope this isnt the case, everyone votes with their wallets irrespective of how fat it is

all of this reeeks of cheapness

Apple is not for the rich. thats very unfair. Its not a luxury phone maker like vertu, nor does it charge extra just to slap on its logo, like a ferrari or gucci phone
they just offer products that are genuinely ahead of the market
every time there is an iOS update, it brings new stuff to the table, many iOS users do not like this, and just keep using the version they are comfortable with
every time there is an Android update, they fix bugs, make performance improvements, and cover all the holes they left when they pushed it out... you feel you are finally getting what your phone deserves with every subsequent update... but its never really there... all this should have come with the phone in the first place tho

when you get an iPhone, the compelete package is in your hands, now, no matter which droid in the world you pick up, the phone will be completed only on the next update

so basically droids are not democratic, they are cheap because they are incomplete phones pushed to the market, you still pay about 2/3 the price and more and get only 1/3 the functionality or less less when compared to an iPhone.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
I don't want a wikipedia link... I want to know what it means with regards to iOS... What kind of security does it provide by hiding mp3 files and videos and PDF files in obscure formats?

eh, where does it hide in "obscure formats"? It's just the filenames are obscured, not the content itself. I never claimed it provided "security" - go back and read my original comment:

Song names as random characters is the way iTunes does protect-using-obscurity.

In plain English: it hides the filenames by assigning a hash to each file. Why? I don't know. That's how they've written iTunes. To verify: Open the the iTunes XML file & corresponding SQLite files which holds the mapping.

If iOS has a file system, why can't you name a couple of good file managers? I can list a dozen file managers in Android...

What part of "filesystem is hidden to a casual user" is hard to understand? And so you can list dozen file managers for Android. OK. So what?

Last edited:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
you would expect some great and awesome apps at the $2.99 price point or the $5.99 pricepoint... but nope what you do get is everything from Asphalt to World of Goo dropping prices to $0.99
some like lane splitter, star dunk, canon cat, tiny tower use a freemium model where basically you get the game for free
there are price drops and sales and new releases every hour and fans have to watch NZ, Canada and US stores apart from the Store of the country they are in
What are trying to convey?
Apple is not for the rich. thats very unfair. Its not a luxury phone maker like vertu, nor does it charge extra just to slap on its logo, like a ferrari or gucci phone.
Phones which are Branded as LUXURY PHONES are not the only phones meant for Rich.
Though your point is correct.

every time there is an iOS update, it brings new stuff to the table, many iOS users do not like this, and just keep using the version they are comfortable with
Though you are talking about Ios.
I should mention that speaking of now Apple is more inclined to "Evolution and Improvement rather than Innovation".
Reiterating same product with some extra features Like in case of Iphone 4S or New Ipad 2012 is nothing sort of Groundbreaking which is what they were known for in the past.
Every successful brand is more or less stuck with the very same PHENOMENON.
I wont say much about this.There has been an Editorial By Raabo over the very same thing in recent issue of Digit.It was very nicely put up.

every time there is an Android update, they fix bugs, make performance improvements, and cover all the holes they left when they pushed it out... you feel you are finally getting what your phone deserves with every subsequent update... but its never really there... all this should have come with the phone in the first place tho

when you get an iPhone, the complete package is in your hands, now, no matter which droid in the world you pick up, the phone will be completed only on the next update
No OS is Perfect.No One is Perfect.
Everything is meant to evolve with Time.
And mind that nor IOS neither Android can ever be claimed to be free of every possible bug in any of the Update whatsoever.
so basically droids are not democratic, they are cheap because they are incomplete phones pushed to the market, you still pay about 2/3 the price and more and get only 1/3 the functionality or less less when compared to an iPhone.
Android is Cheap Because so is the Will Of Google.
It is licensed in same way.
It is flexible.

Ios is not because Apple is stuck with their Sick Mentality of restricting every work environment by their constraints.

You cant even develop Apps for IOS without owning a MAC.Anything more????

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^yeah Apple is crippled by the patent mechanism, so is every other company out there
Droids are a walled desert... the options are easy piracy and google checkout. The former is the difference.

Apple works because the publishers/developers and the consumers have enough respect for each other so as not to con each other. or both used macs. something like that, in any case, everything.. every single form of content from music, to apps, to e-books are getting financially viable at the 0.99 price point, isnt this great? Also the connection is very direct. You post a bug on twitter, its pushed out in an update, sometimes a delta update hours later. This is all possible on droids ofc, but there are a handful doing it there.

red dragon

Master troll

1.iOS has a perfectly fine file system
2.iFile is a decent file manager.
3.Show some respect to cpg,he is one of the very few knowledgable people around here.
4.Having a million file managers does not mean anything,a single manager like RE is usually enough.

ritvij

rated R

so you would expect people with premium phones to demand a lot of premium apps... but nope this isnt the case, everyone votes with their wallets irrespective of how fat it is

all of this reeeks of cheapness

Apple is not for the rich. thats very unfair. Its not a luxury phone maker like vertu, nor does it charge extra just to slap on its logo, like a ferrari or gucci phone

when you get an iPhone, the compelete package is in your hands, now, no matter which droid in the world you pick up, the phone will be completed only on the next update

very well said.. :+1: after reading all the posts, i just couldn't get one thing the true multitasking thing.. can anyone give me a real life "practical" example of any app that takes advantage of true multitasking on android..

OP
AndroidFan

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
1.iOS has a perfectly fine file system
2.iFile is a decent file manager.
3.Show some respect to cpg,he is one of the very few knowledgable people around here.
4.Having a million file managers does not mean anything,a single manager like RE is usually enough.

Android is better than iOS in many ways. That was the whole point of the arguement. Every Operating system has a file system, everyone knows that. The point is, it is not user accessible. An ordinary non-geek iPhone user cannot transfer files to the phone without iTunes.

Its a lot simpler, easier, better on an Android device. Existence of many file managers prove how much better and robust Android OS is...

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
fire up the browser, youtube, facebook, twitter, gmail, switch to NFS Undercover, change audio settings to play only sounds, and continue playing, go back to the browser, create a couple of new tabs, open up an e-book reader, select a book, flip through a few pages, switch to twitter, check gmail, open up G+, play vector runner for a couple of seconds, switch to facebook, fire up Saavn, start playing vector runner again

... you can keep doing that on iOS forever, droids would fry up pretty fast, the game would definitely begin to frame and hang at this point

Droids have a task manager, or free task managing apps, or custom shells that handle part of the tasks, or the manufacturer may bundle in some kind applications to handle the mail and social networking... plus the latest version takes away control from everybody, so its really not fair to compare, they are just two very different ways to use the device. Droids dont really support multi-tasking either. you cant write an app to unfold proteins and keep it running in the bg, while you do other stuff

ritvij

rated R
fire up the browser, youtube, facebook, twitter, gmail, switch to NFS Undercover, change audio settings to play only sounds, and continue playing, go back to the browser, create a couple of new tabs, open up an e-book reader, select a book, flip through a few pages, switch to twitter, check gmail, open up G+, play vector runner for a couple of seconds, switch to facebook, fire up Saavn, start playing vector runner again

... you can keep doing that on iOS forever, droids would fry up pretty fast, the game would definitely begin to frame and hang at this point

damn right you can.. i can do this all on my 3 year old 3gs running on iOS 5.1 without breaking a sweat!:cool:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
There is NO competition. iOS is more efficient than Android, undoubtedly, more stable and more polished too.

Top Bottom