Status
Not open for further replies.

karmanya

Journeyman
hey
can someone give me some tips in drifting in games like Colin Mcrae and Carbon? plus is it possible to drift during a regular race in most wanted? right now all i can do in most wanted is switch on speedbraker, tap turn key once or twice turn off speedbraker accelerate and follow through the turn. Plus is it neccessary to have a manual transmission to have great drifts or can u do it in auto?

pritzdj

LIFE Overclocked!!
You can feel the thrill of drifting........
When the turning comes, use the hand brake and the direction keys at the same time... after that again accelerate ur car......... Now u'll drift.... but u've to practice for become a professional in drifting......
You can drift with "auto" but i recommend that use the manual transmission to drift and as well as for race, manual transmission really boost the performance of the driver and the car......

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Drifting & Manual Transmission go hand in hand 8)

for Most Wanted, do some car set-up, make the car Slide more by changing "Steering" settings & decrease the "Aerodynamics" (higher ride height = lesser grip).

but in MW its difficult to drift, anyways the best car to drift in wud be "Dodge Viper", also try it in Lancer EVO VIII 8).

To initiate Drift, give minute Handbrake input ( tap the handbake key ONCE) & then on hold the car in lower gear (2nd) & drift your way thru the turns :D

Drifting in CMR-
same as above, but here you need to put some hardwork in holding the car "in line" & in "drift".

just when you are about to enter a corner,

lift off from throttle-> brake hard (to entry speed), -> pull (press :))) the handbrake & turn the car simultaneously (flicking the back-end of car - weight shift), now when the car is "sideways" leave the handbrake -> Full THROTTLE in 2nd gear-> counter steer. (you have to do all this under 2 seconds).

Manual in CMR will need aa steering wheel, so better select the Semi-Auto gearbox== -automatic gear shift but you can over-ride gears any-time, downshift or upshift.
so you can keep the car in 2nd gear in a "3rd gear corner/turn", just for fun in Drifting:D

NOTE: brake hard (to entry speed) [coz higher momentum= easy flickin of rear end]

read more here - Racing Games Discussion - some useful Tips for CMR05

Last edited:
OP
K

karmanya

Journeyman
isnt it slower to handbrake drift? someone told me that i should downshift into 2nd gear, then pop the clutch as soon as i pop it i should start turning and should alternate between accelerating and turning according to the position of the car and the length of the drift. however i loose around 50kmph in speed during the drift so i was wondering if theres a faster way to do it.
I use the above method for drifting in carbon.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
dude, drifting = speed loss, but faster way to clear a corner (not considering race tracks).

downshift = engine braking, so its obvious you'll lose speed.

you HAVE to keep on accelerating while drifting, if you dont, you lose speed & control.

btw no "clutch" in CMR as well as NFS MW.

OP
K

karmanya

Journeyman
i havnt played CMR really want to. what would be the fastest way to clear a 90 degree corner while loosing minimum speed?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
it works like charm on my onboard GMA900:p, then i think it wud work on ur gfx. card too.

---

enter the corner while "drifting", that is just before the turn, get the car sideways (facing corner exit), but make sure the car is under corner entry speed.8)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
its all estimation dude, drive normally (without drifting) & see whats the maximum speed you can enter that corner at (for NFS = even 150kmph:D, but for CMR its always below 100kmph, i manage ~50kmph max while taking a hairpin)

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
First of all never fear to accerlate,attain good speed before you enter the corner then as soon as you are about to enter the corner steer with full force that is your finger literally pressed to the right or left arrow key if the turn is not too sharp however for comparatively big turns you can use any of the two techniques apply handbrake as you enter the corner or slightly taking your finger off the accerlate button with simultaneous application of the brakes.As soon you approach the corner exit(at this moment your car should be in control with its nose in the intended direction and not about to hit the wall again) accerlate fully as normal.Hope this helps.

OP
K

karmanya

Journeyman
ive discovered that in NFS MW the easiest way to drift any corner no matter what the angle is to oped speedbreaker tap the arrow key a couple of times close speedbreaker and accelerate through the turn. u loose a lot of speed maybe 50-55kmph but its easy and faster than braking and taking a turn regularly without drifting.
BTW- maybe im doing something wrong but ive nvr found that it makes that much difference which gear u drift in- in real life u drift in 2nd cuz it avoides damage to the car.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
well to begin with MW is a HARDCORE Arcade racer, so gear ratios dont seriously matter:D.

& u really dont hav to brake in MW to take turns:D, i take 90 degree turns at 250kmph+ :D (on M3 GTR) - wat i do -> full speed->Speed Breaker-> turn the car around-> speed off again. (i do loose speed), but NO need for brake:D

the same cant be said for CMR04/05.

if u put the car in 2nd gear, what happens is the wheels starts to spin (wheel-spin), while in motion, so "wheel spin in turn translates to drift".

control on accelerator is key to perfect drift. (real life or game life :D)

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

In Most Wanted you can't go full speed in corner, use Speedbreaker, turn the car and expect to be on all four wheels. Whenever i've tried that my car started rolling sideways in the direction opposite to the corner as soon as i switched off Speedbreaker. And i landed on the roof, watching upside down my opponents get ahead of me (or the cops surround me). I had to reduce the speed before entering the corner, even if i used speedbreaker to avoid spilling all over the road. Never used Speedbreaker in Carbon so no idea what happens there.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
krazyfrog said:
In Most Wanted you can't go full speed in corner, use Speedbreaker, turn the car and expect to be on all four wheels. Whenever i've tried that my car started rolling sideways in the direction opposite to the corner as soon as i switched off Speedbreaker. And i landed on the roof, watching upside down my opponents get ahead of me (or the cops surround me). I had to reduce the speed before entering the corner, even if i used speedbreaker to avoid spilling all over the road. Never used Speedbreaker in Carbon so no idea what happens there.

Try it in a Gallardo ;)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
yup try in Gallardo or if u hav BMW M3 GTR, then try with it.

these cars stick to road like if they're glued to it.

OP
K

karmanya

Journeyman
if u notice in MW in speedbraker mode- the front end of the car dips on the turn- this is indicative of a handbrake turn.
also less the time in speedbreaker more the speed u keep after the corner
*edit* plus i find the m3 GTR is almost crap. i prefer carera gt or merciealago

K

krazyfrog

Ya even i don't find M3 much special. Its only because of the engine sound that i use it sometimes. Sounds fantastic. Otherwise i mostly prefer McLaren SLR. The Lamborghinis don't drive very well either. Fort GT is another car i like to drive in the game.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
the very first guys who DONT prefer M3 GTR :p

well in the game, its the fastest Stock car (race engineered 8) ), no extra settings needed.

Carrera GT has razor sharp handling, McLaren, hmm nothing special.

other than M3, i prefer Evo VIII & Gallardo, both fast & slick. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom