Doubts on Linux Root account..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
I am new to Linux World and now i have started to learn Linux from basically.
Lot of professional tech guys says that linux is more secure than windows in lot of ways,such as file system, process architecture, core component of OS, execution of root account, etc.. Digit has also an article regarding this, in their early issues. Apart from that i have following doubts regarding Root Account.

1. what is the main difference between Root account in Linux and Administrator account in Windows. Both are controlled the important settings of OS mostly in the same way..
2. recently I read the method of resetting the root password without entering old password..This is published in QnA section in Digit.. So how can we tell linux is safe.. as far as windows, resetting administrator password is possible only by providing password..(i agree that there are no .of third party tools have done this but only as illegal.)
3. By logically, as the source code of Linux distribution is available freely to all, Is there any way to change the password of root account by a veteran programmer?
(I am not a professional programmer, so i could not specify exactly)
4. Is there any limitation to Root account to control entire OS?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
2. recently I read the method of resetting the root password without entering old password..This is published in QnA section in Digit.. So how can we tell linux is safe.. as far as windows, resetting administrator password is possible only by providing password..(i agree that there are no .of third party tools have done this but only as illegal.)
I won't give the answer but just inform you that there are ways to avoid this. As to how, I leave it for you to figure out yourself.
3. By logically, as the source code of Linux distribution is available freely to all, Is there any way to change the password of root account by a veteran programmer?
No, it's doesn't work that way. The password is provided by the user, it's encrypted then stored in specific file, which can only be read by root. Even if it's obtained, if you have a strong password it'd be huge waste of time, if not impossible to reverse it and find the actual password.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
i cant make any sense of query three
four, no, there is NO limitation, if ur using root, its just like your siggy :p
just get back with the first two queries

I won't give the answer but just inform you that there are ways to avoid this. As to how, I leave it for you to figure out yourself.

hmm, bios password?

1. what is the main difference between Root account in Linux and Administrator account in Windows. Both are controlled the important settings of OS mostly in the same way..

MOST why-linux-is-better or use-linux sites have the answer

Last edited:

adi007

Youngling
2. I think u are talking about single user mode which can be avoided by editing the grub menu and adding the password..Google it and u will find it

3.It is impossible all the root passwords are encrypted in md5 encryption along with md5 salt..
With the combination of salt only the md5 gets decrypted..
No one in the world can decrypt it..
I know all these coz i tried to decrypt my college computer lab's root password but in vain...
If it was just ordinary md5 encrypted then it could be possible to decrypt it by the help of collisions

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
md5 encryption along with md5 salt..
With the combination of salt only the md5 gets decrypted..
lets make is spicy...lolz

those salts are timestamp generated, so you will never know the combination:!:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom