DOS HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxisayshi

Broken In
hey i want to cut a folder from one hard disk partition (say c:) to paste in another partition(say d:).
since the folder size is big enough so it takes lot of time by simple cut-paste method.
i think dat through DOS i can easily do dis job of moving files from one partition to another.but the problem is dat i do not know the command in dos.
i m using windows xp
so plz help me out

pupudada

Broken In
Doing it the roundabout way.. lets assume you've got a folder `aaa' in partition `e' and want to move it to `d'. Create a blank folder named `aaa' in `d'. Now from dos go to `e' and type:

copy e:\aaa\*.* d:\aaa

that is all

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
thax for reply
but the command which u mentioned above is not working 100%.
suppose there is a folder and inside it many sub folders and files.
so thru the command mentioned above only files are getting copied but sub folders remains.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I dont think doing it in DOS will reduce time taken by much, if any. In fact, WinXP doesnt have DOS actually, it only emulates it. Therefore, I very much doubt if time taken will be less...

Given that, the command specified by pupupdada will not copy subdirectories and their contents. To do that, you should use xcopy

xcopy e:\aaa\. d:\aaa /e /c /h will help you achieve your task. /e forces subdirectory copy, /c will continue even if u have error, /h will copy hidden/system files also.

xcopy /? will give help on xcopy and list more modifiers to use...

Hope that helps,
Arun

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
thax for the help Arun
i get it.but u were right it takes equal time to copy through DOS emulator as well.

so is their any s/w available which can do dis task in
less time.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I dont think there is any software that can do this faster...

Perhaps u can start the move command at night and go to sleep, in the morning, u will have it ready...

Arun

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
it will take as much time it want ..
there is nothing you can do about it.

just tell me one thing .. are your source (c:) and destination (d:) drives in same harddisk ?
if yes then there is nothing you can do.
if no .. then read on

usually such data transfer is slow b'coz data is transferred from same IDE cable ( the cable connecting your harddisk to motherboard, the flat one ) in both directions, as your source and destination drives are in same harddisk.
if they are in different harddisks, then you can connect both of them using separate IDE cables. that way one cable will tranfer data from one drive to motherboard and other from motherboard to drive. this way its much faster than previous case.

-----
alibi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom