Doordarshan kendra caught in superstition

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
*www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/01049/HY11DDSAPTAGIRI_1049709f.jpg

Untimely demise of four staffers has officials adhering to vastu to ward off evil

It is almost palpable. In fact, it is so strong that you can lean against it. The moment you enter the Doordarshan kendra here, you can feel the undercurrent of fear and anxiety. On Monday, staffers as also visitors were surprised to find the main entrance locked. An arrow mark indicated the shifting of the main entrance to the other gate.

What's happening? “It's vastu problem sir,” said the security guard in a hushed tone. When pressed further, he added in a confidential manner “authorities are upset by the recent deaths”. Yes, the untimely demise of four staffers in less than two months has left everyone shell-shocked in the Doordarshan office here.

Fear bug

The fear bug has bitten the employees and some senior officers have let it get the better of them. Hence, the decision to close down the main entrance. Of course, this move has not gone down well with the saner elements. Some of them are openly questioning the wisdom in succumbing to superstition. “There is no reason or evidence for such belief,” said a news reader.

Tragedy has been striking the Doordarshan kendra with an unflinching regularity. First, it was the death of Uma Rani, a production assistant that shocked everyone. Then it was followed by the sudden demise of Gyatri, a Hindi Officer and Gopal Krishna, another production assistant. On Saturday, Imtiaz Ali Taj, Assistant Director, passed away all of a sudden. This was the proverbial last straw.

The authorities felt enough was enough and decided to change the entry gate to ward off the evil.

This was not the first, but third time that the main entrance was closed on the basis of mere superstition.

Interestingly, Doordarshan has been given elaborate guidelines to present programmes against superstitious beliefs.

But that seems to be only for public consumption. When it comes to practice, the mandarins here are as irrational as anyone else.
:lol:

*www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/article3300560.ece

Alok

Adventurer
:lol:...vastu:rofl: wtf. People who have responsibility to remove such superstitions are himself the victim.... :-|

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
LOL. They are stuck in such superstitions, while we expect them to provide information to create awareness against such things.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Nothing to laugh at, it's a matter of belief. People believe these things, and so does the employees of BSNL may. VASTU is an ancient science, just like Astrology. They have believers, they have haters, and there are people who totally regard them as fraudulant. Whatever the case maybe, it all depends on what we believe. No one has the authority to question on your belief.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^huh its a hysteria epidemic, if ur afraid of something it can go from person to person, sort of like yawning spreads frm person to person, ppl get sick even i f there is nothing its like a thing

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
^huh its a hysteria epidemic, if ur afraid of something it can go from person to person, sort of like yawning spreads frm person to person, ppl get sick even i f there is nothing its like a thing

???? Didn't get a single thing about what you just said.

Reread it, lol don't use SMS language in forums please, for god's sake you are a MOD! :p I read it around 4 times before i could get what you meant to say.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

:agreed:
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing to laugh at, it's a matter of belief. People believe these things, and so does the employees of BSNL may. VASTU is an ancient science, just like Astrology. They have believers, they have haters, and there are people who totally regard them as fraudulant. Whatever the case maybe, it all depends on what we believe. No one has the authority to question on your belief.

There is no scientific proof that it even exists, let alone work. I don't think these things have a place in a progressive society. No one has the authority to question your faith, it is upto you to question your own faith.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajaybc

Youngling
^ I am not a religious guy or anything, but I really hate it whenever someone brings 'science' into this kind of discussion. Science told us earth was flat and atom is the smallest particle on the universe long ago. I still think there are still stuff beyond our comprehension in this planet and we should keep an open mind to anything.

BTW expecting a lot of bashing on the above para :wink:

But I still think it is a bit too stupid and immature for the authorities to make such a change in a Government owned building based on vasthu

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^ I am not a religious guy or anything, but I really hate it whenever someone brings 'science' into this kind of discussion.

How else would you prove whether whether vastu, feng shui and other blind-a**-faith exists or not? :-|

Science told us earth was flat and atom is the smallest particle on the universe long ago. I still think there are still stuff beyond our comprehension in this planet and we should keep an open mind to anything.

In earlier times, believing the earth to be flat was blind faith as well. Besides, the theory for a round earth existed since around 300BC. While the belief of a flat earth was postulated around the 1800s.

As far as atoms are concerned, there were no means to determine its contents until the 1960s. That's when quarks were discovered.

But I still think it is a bit too stupid and immature for the authorities to make such a change in a Government owned building based on vasthu
:agreed:

lol WTF is that :mrgreen: ??

Flat Earth Society

ajaymailed

In the zone
former ISRO Chairman feels the ancient science is damaging the modern Indian scientific culture.

Believe in astronomy, not astrology: UR Rao - South India - Bangalore - ibnlive
BANGALORE: Announcing that a Mars programme at the Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium would come up by the end of the year as an addition to the Venus and Moon programmes currently running, Prof UR Rao, former ISRO Chairman on Tuesday said that people in the country need to put their faith in science instead of fields like astrology.

“Despite major contributions by Indians in space science, even today radio and TV channels broadcast hour long programmes on astrology,”said Prof Rao while lamenting the lack of interest in science amongst the masses who would rather pin their hopes on astrology. “We can never become a great scientific nation this way,” he said. Prof Rao was speaking at the launch of a new programme at the planetarium called ‘Venus Transit- a Small Eclipse’.

Top Bottom