Status
Not open for further replies.

vmp_vivek

In the zone
I am playing Doom 3 in lowest quality settings: 640X480X32 without any shadows and special effects enabled and I think that's the only wayto get flexible FPSon my sys, so can please anyone suggest me to increase frame rates in high resolutions like 1024X768? My sys is 2.8, 512, 128 MB Ati 9000 with latest drivers.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
You mean a way to increase it apart from the Graphics card upgrade.Thats very much a contradictory thought for now considering the 9000 based card that you currently posses.If you crank up the resolutions the Memory required to draw more textures is used and hence this is where your graphic cards main core memory comes into part and since its possibly a very big bottleneck in your case there's not much of a choice but to settle on low reolutions for now.The tweaking guide posted above my post will be of very little use as the guide sets its focus mainly on to the optimised benchmark settings for a 6800Ultra.Btw what frame rates do you currently achieve?Is it perfectly playable?Did you try cranking the resolution to 1024x768 and if yes then what was the frame rate that you achieved thereafter?

OP
V

vmp_vivek

In the zone
I currently achieve playable frame rates. But, I have tried to play in the ultra mode, having 1024X768 resolution; the only thing I came to know is that the system is giving very low rates at this resolution may be because it needs more RAM. Thus, I have planned to upgrade the sys for 1 gig, so I will add another 512 DDR and I am sure that I will be able to play nice even at ultra resolutions with 1 gig RAM. :? :)

raj14

In Deniel
Dude, You cna't play Doom 3@Ultra Quality on a ATI 9000 Whether you use 8GBs Of Ram or Not, Doom 3 has the most advanced graphical engine to date, in Ultra QUality the texels are uncompressed Thus they require a massive 512MBs of Video Ram, and Doom3 also requires atleast 6Pixel and 2 Vertex shaders to work without jerking :D if you want to play Doom 3 at Ultra quality you cna either buy a ATI X850XT which has 3Dc a technology in which textures are compressed to work load off the main Memory Chips, so hey don't overheat 8) on the other hand get a nVIDIA 6800GT or Ultra, or even better a 6600GT, it offers superb performance with tasty price :p at 11.5k you with be able to play D3@High Quality with AA and AF and ge a smooth Frame Rate :shock:

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
BTW, I hv seen that Doom 3 Performs very well on a 128 MB 6600 GT (XFX model priced around 10K) even in Ultra Quality, gives FPS > 50. The system RAM needs to be >=768 MB .

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
vmp_vivek said:
I currently achieve playable frame rates. But, I have tried to play in the ultra mode, having 1024X768 resolution; the only thing I came to know is that the system is giving very low rates at this resolution may be because it needs more RAM. Thus, I have planned to upgrade the sys for 1 gig, so I will add another 512 DDR and I am sure that I will be able to play nice even at ultra resolutions with 1 gig RAM. :? :)
Believe me thats not the problem in this case.The physical memory add-on will only mean faster load times and somewhat a smooth level of gameplay.Increasing the resolution would mean increasing a lot of load on your Graphic card and not that much on the Physical ram.Believe me if you invest in for a graphic card it will really work wonders for you.A 6600Gt would be a splendid choice which retails now for around 10k.This card can handle resolutions even above 1600x1200 with very high Detail and still achieving playable frame rates easily.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
BTW, I hv seen that Doom 3 Performs very well on a 128 MB 6600 GT (XFX model priced around 10K) even in Ultra Quality, gives FPS > 50. The system RAM needs to be >=768 MB .

but u'll face a few stutterings at 1280*1024 ..... u need atleast 1gb to play it smoothly at ultra high settings ...

raj14

In Deniel
6600GT is the perfect choice for Doom3, in actual Specs the 6600GT is more powerful than GeForce 5950Ultra which sells for 23k!! :shock:

raj14

In Deniel
Ah, glad we were able to help :D and hey, be sure to post some nice shiney screenies of Games, for us to oggle at :D

godzi_85

In the zone
hmm i got a 6600gt ..
played doom3 at 1280*1024*60 .. ultra settings..
AA - 2x , As - at 4x ... never got above 30 .. but never below 20 either :D

raj14

In Deniel
LOL! i tried to play Doom 3 at ultra Quality (AT)1024x768 with 16x AA! My card doesn't een support that! :lol: i got a super jerky frame rate of 2! :(
Oh well, IMO The Game is lackluster anyway! :roll:

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
got d3 to play at Ultra Qual @ 1024x768 .. got a frame rate of 15..... but the graphics and lighting was awesum!!!!!!

raj14

In Deniel
yes, 5950U sells for 23k, mind you that was the rpice in late 2004, maybe it has gotten cheaper, technically, 6600GT goes head to head with 5950, since both have 8 Pixel pipeline and 4 Vertex Shaders :D nad plus, the 6600GT looks cooller than 5950U :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom