Does seperate domain name help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
hi to all
i am running a forum namely www.funisland.co.nr

as u can see .. i have been using the free .co.nr to redirect to my forum which is in 110mb.com
if i go for say a new domain with .com or .net or .us...something like that..will it increase the traffic to my site...
i tried a lot to increase but cant..can anyone help me??

and another thing is when i change to newdomain wht should i do to redirect thenew domain name to yy old one..

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Yep.. It will definitely help t increase traffic. The same effort if you apply for a .com,.net domain that it will boost traffic. Also Search engines consider .com,.net domains than .co.nr domains.

Yes, you can redirect new domain to the existing <username>.110mb.com...
Since you have are using 110mb.com, they support domain hosting. So after getting a new domain, you will get a control panel where you have to change the nameservers to ns1.110mb.com. Or another method is set a DOMAIN FORWARDING to your URL. :)

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
thnks hard_rock for the reply..can u explain on the second part ..or any article where i can learn about domains..
are u using 110mb??
thnks for the reply agin..
*funisland.110mb.com/phpBB2/index.php

this is my forum address..
if i buy a domain name..
i just want have a address like say *www.funisland.us/forum/index.php
can this be done...
and does phpbb will have any difficulty in loacting the address..should i have to change anything in the phpbb files??
thnk in advance....

hard_rock

Salieri Family
No I once used 110mb.com but got fed up with their slow ftp and no sendmail facility...

What u said can be done in two ways:
1) Set nameservers to ns1.110mb.com and in phpBB admin panel change the parameters like these (As given in phpbb2 support)
3.2.2.1: General Board Settings

Domain Name - Your domain name, as the end user will see it. For example, if your Forum Index is located at *www.cheese.com/wheel/log/phpBB2/index.php, the domain name you should enter is www.cheese.com.

Server Port - This setting should be 80 unless you are sure it should be something else.

Script path - The path from your domain to main phpBB 2.0 files. For example, if your Forum Index is located at *www.cheese.com/wheel/log/phpBB2/index.php, the script path you should enter is /wheel/log/phpBB2/.

2) Or set a domain forwarder to *funisland.110mb.com/phpBB2/index.php so that when you enter funisland.us it will be
redirected to this url directly opening the above page.

No, phpbb files need not be edited to serve the purpose.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I can provide you a subdomain, if you want. You can PM me. But it will take time as i don't manage the domain. My Webmaster does that work. Also according to our discussion, are you ready with that? ;)

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
hard_rock said:
No I once used 110mb.com but got fed up with their slow ftp and no sendmail facility...

What u said can be done in two ways:
1) Set nameservers to ns1.110mb.com and in phpBB admin panel change the parameters like these (As given in phpbb2 support)

2) Or set a domain forwarder to *funisland.110mb.com/phpBB2/index.php so that when you enter funisland.us it will be
redirected to this url directly opening the above page.

No, phpbb files need not be edited to serve the purpose.

THNKS MATE..REAALY USEFUL..
i will try this out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom