Does my vendor cheat me????

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax_tt

Broken In
i bought a new 512MB DDR2 DDR2 RAM 667Mhz. there is a label 512MB DDR2 667 DIMM 5-5-5 on the ram. but when i insert the ram and check it wit CPU-Z, it displayed as 333Mhz. my mothrbrd is MSI K9N NeoF with AMD ATHLON64 X2 3600+. does my vendor cheat me or does the displayed CPU-Z is incorrect???

*img248.imageshack.us/img248/9183/ramdd7.th.jpg

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Hey madmax. Nope your vendor didn't cheat you.

Your RAM is dual channel.

333.5MHz per channel. total 667 Mhz.

I think dual channel is enabled only if you have two RAM's, not sure though.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
okay. Yes. I have checked mine. It's a 400MHz RAM and CPU-Z shows that as 200MHz with dual channel on.

you can relax, your RAM is perfectly running at 667Mhz. If you are not sure, follow BIOS messages during boot up.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
No ur vendor didnt cheat u....

DDR2 cells transfer data both on the rising and falling edge of the clock a technique called double pumping.

for ur ram
Standard name--Memory clock--I/O Bus clock--Data transfers/sec
DDR2-667----------166 MHz--------333 MHz--------667 Million

to achieve dual channel mode, DDR2 SDRAM memory modules must be installed into matching banks, which are usually color coded on the motherboard. if u have only 1 ram stick u cannot run it in dual channel mode...for that u need another ram stick....recommended a ram stick with same speed....

OP
madmax_tt

madmax_tt

Broken In
i have 2 ram sticks of the same speed. there are four slots on my board. two with green and two with orange. in which of the two slots will i put my ram's??

sakumar79

Technomancer
@madmax, check the motherboard manual (if you dont have one, you should check the manufacturers website and download it)... Usually, if the mobo supports dual channel, the manual will have info on how to utilise it...

Arun

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Put both of them either in orange slots or in green slots.

Madmax, download sisoft sandra, go to Hardware -> Mainboard. There look for the information on memory banks.

My laptop has DDR2-533 RAM. in CPU-Z, it's shown as 266 but in Sandra, it shows 4x133 (532Mhz) Datarate.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
ambandla said:
Put both of them either in orange slots or in green slots.

Madmax, download sisoft sandra, go to Hardware -> Mainboard. There look for the information on memory banks.

My laptop has DDR2-533 RAM. in CPU-Z, it's shown as 266 but in Sandra, it shows 4x133 (532Mhz) Datarate.

No buddy...he has to put one ram in orange slot and another in green slot and not both in same colored slot.....

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
FYI, RAM modules should be placed in same colored slots. Just now I tested this and putting two modules in different colored slots resulted in boot failure. Even BIOS didn't come up. Placed both in orange slots and I see 128 bit dual channel RAM running at 400MHz.

Last edited:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
ambandla said:
FYI, RAM modules should be placed in same colored slots. Just not I tested this and putting two modules in two different colored slots resulted in boot failures. Even BIOS didn't come up. Placed both in orange slots and I see 128 bit dual channel RAM running at 400MHz.

this time i must say my mistake...i also realised that later..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom