"Does a Porsche outsell Honda?" - Apple Year-End Report Card: A

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/12/apple-grade.jpg

Somewhere between 2006 and today, I stopped considering Apple an underdog. And I'm not just talking about their iPod numbers nor am I talking about their nowhere-close-to-Windows marketshare. I mean, screw marketshare, really: Does Porsche outsell Honda? Apple busted out some serious products like the iPhone and iPods and made aggressive growth in their notebook lines. That's not to say they had it easy. But I think all in all, Apple deserves a solid A for their products and excellent damage control.

Continue Reading

Does Porsche outsell Honda?
Does Mac outsell Windows?

Apple - The Perfect Package

drgrudge said:
*gizmodo.com/335912/
Does Porsche outsell Honda?
Does Mac outsell Windows?
Just wanted to add:
Does Linux outnumber Windows?

Anyway, jokes apart, there is one main reason apple can never become a leader or get widely accepted, along with linux, solaris and BSD: Microsoft literally tries to control the market here. They, with a huge market share, try to blackmail, bribe, and force people into accepting windows. Also, now that they are popular, they are sensing danger, because while they controlled the X-Generation(today's 19 year old guy's parents), they are trying dirty tricks when the Y generation(the 19 year old's peers) is moving away from windows, rediscovering Mac, Linux, etc.

And another reason why apple is NOT accepted widely is because of their habbit of cashing in from every opportunity. Look at the world: a PC keyboard + mouse costs under Rs. 650. But with Mac, the cost factor is like over 4K.

Yes, Mac is truely an over-priced Porsche here, and Microsoft is like an Ambassador.

We can only hope, that soon people can start to learn how to use the Reva(linux) for regular use and use the Porsche for its classy value.

Apple derives its success from the following tools:

1. Embrace the ACE Technique

Their idea of adopting those standards that are better than others is paying off. They chose to adopt AAC as the default sound codec, instead of using mp3, or trying to create an own standard like microsoft. They also choose to adopt the UNIX architecture instead of windows.

2. Cash in on the already existing

They see already existing stuff, take them, and just put their efforts in customising them, and lo, they have a new candy. Konqueror becomes Safari. MP4 audio becomes m4a AAC. FreeBSD becomes Darwin. This is just a small example of how they don't waste time to create new stuff, but build on existing ones to make it better, atleast to their preception.

3. Do nothing new, but rather, whats not there but wanted

They made the iPod: it was not something like a novel idea, but its need was already felt, and they just fullfilled it. The iPhone is another example. They heard people asking for the perfect PDA, and they made it.

4. The Eye creates a want for things

All their stuff is just plain eye-candy. Atleast when it comes to n00bs, they may even go for something just because of the visual factor, instead of the functionality. Many n00bs exist, and so the richer among them become extra customers for apple.

5. Organise stuff in your domain

everything in apple intergrates just too well. all their software look similar and have similar defaults, the hardware matches with the software, etc. They also name their stuff properly so as to go with one another.

6. Package stuff well

everything they create is just very well packaged. Take the iLife for example. It comes with the MacMini, clearly something that casual users first buy. They are shown a piece of brilliant but easy to use and good for casuals software, and they immidiately get hoocked up to apple.

Conclution:

Steve Jobs needs to be seriously congratulated, for he used plain common sence, and brilliant thinking combined together, to produce the ultimate package. These clever and cunning ideas may be simple, but it took a newton to question the fall of the Apple(pun intended). Three chears for steve jobs.

Extra Comment:

The way he standardised the machines apple manufactured with a regular release interval as well as an upgrade interval ensured that the Macs behaved just like Gaming Consoles - with standards that software and game designers could follow expecting perfection in their product. Another good thing about Jobs.

PS: some parts intentionally made difficult to read to help reduce offenciveness to some people.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Re: "Does a Porche outsell Honda?" - Apple Year-End Report Card: A

Yep Apple deserves a pat on the back.

@Gautham, Reva for Linux? WTF dude?!:confused:

I was thinking more in terms of a rocket ship :p

Hitboxx said:
@Gautham, Reva for Linux? WTF dude?!:confused:

I was thinking more in terms of a rocket ship :p
clean, cheap, effitient, for enthusiasts. couldn't think somehting better;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/37.gif Apple : अंगूर खट्टे हैं

Voldy

The Dark lord

Yeah Apple deserves credit after the IPod touch release its one of the apples marvelous creation who has revolutionize the portable music player era by bringing Web applications into its ipod update.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

gizmodo is a bunch of apple fans nothing else... Engadget is the best (even they were diehard apple fans but are now changing )

_

Vicky333 said:
Yeah Apple deserves credit after the IPod touch release its one of the apples marvelous creation who has revolutionize the portable music player era by bringing Web applications into its ipod update.
revolutionary? I guess you didn't read my post.., or Mr. Jobs did a rather good job on you too. bless him :p

goobimama

 Macboy

Apple may not be the ruler of the market share. I don't think it ever will as well. But there are more and more 'switchers' these days. And switchers generally don't switch back. So what I'm trying to say is, corporates and businesses may still have PCs as their preferred choice (Not necessarily Windows, but PCs) due to tech support and cheap machines, but professionals and businessmen, home users increasingly going in for the Mac platform...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Apple - The Perfect Package

MetalheadGautham said:
Just wanted to add:
Does Linux outnumber Windows?

Anyway, jokes apart, there is one main reason apple can never become a leader or get widely accepted, along with linux, solaris and BSD: Microsoft literally tries to control the market here. They, with a huge market share, try to blackmail, bribe, and force people into accepting windows. Also, now that they are popular, they are sensing danger, because while they controlled the X-Generation(today's 19 year old guy's parents), they are trying dirty tricks when the Y generation(the 19 year old's peers) is moving away from windows, rediscovering Mac, Linux, etc.

And another reason why apple is NOT accepted widely is because of their habbit of cashing in from every opportunity. Look at the world: a PC keyboard + mouse costs under Rs. 650. But with Mac, the cost factor is like over 4K.

Yes, Mac is truely an over-priced Porsche here, and Microsoft is like an Ambassador.

We can only hope, that soon people can start to learn how to use the Reva(linux) for regular use and use the Porsche for its classy value.

Apple derives its success from the following tools:

1. Embrace the ACE Technique

Their idea of adopting those standards that are better than others is paying off. They chose to adopt AAC as the default sound codec, instead of using mp3, or trying to create an own standard like microsoft. They also choose to adopt the UNIX architecture instead of windows.

2. Cash in on the already existing

They see already existing stuff, take them, and just put their efforts in customising them, and lo, they have a new candy. Konqueror becomes Safari. MP4 audio becomes m4a AAC. FreeBSD becomes Darwin. This is just a small example of how they don't waste time to create new stuff, but build on existing ones to make it better, atleast to their preception.

3. Do nothing new, but rather, whats not there but wanted

They made the iPod: it was not something like a novel idea, but its need was already felt, and they just fullfilled it. The iPhone is another example. They heard people asking for the perfect PDA, and they made it.

4. The Eye creates a want for things

All their stuff is just plain eye-candy. Atleast when it comes to n00bs, they may even go for something just because of the visual factor, instead of the functionality. Many n00bs exist, and so the richer among them become extra customers for apple.

5. Organise stuff in your domain

everything in apple intergrates just too well. all their software look similar and have similar defaults, the hardware matches with the software, etc. They also name their stuff properly so as to go with one another.

6. Package stuff well

everything they create is just very well packaged. Take the iLife for example. It comes with the MacMini, clearly something that casual users first buy. They are shown a piece of brilliant but easy to use and good for casuals software, and they immidiately get hoocked up to apple.

Conclution:

Steve Jobs needs to be seriously congratulated, for he used plain common sence, and brilliant thinking combined together, to produce the ultimate package. These clever and cunning ideas may be simple, but it took a newton to question the fall of the Apple(pun intended). Three chears for steve jobs.

Extra Comment:

The way he standardised the machines apple manufactured with a regular release interval as well as an upgrade interval ensured that the Macs behaved just like Gaming Consoles - with standards that software and game designers could follow expecting perfection in their product. Another good thing about Jobs.

PS: some parts intentionally made difficult to read to help reduce offenciveness to some people.
Dude, I can understand the poor English but Comic Sans? Honestly! Please spare us the agony! :p

And don't be offended, for God's sake.

praka123

left this forum longback

but one nice analogy the author got "porsche vs honda's" :D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Here's an awesome JobsQuote™:
Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?
:D

Re: Apple - The Perfect Package

aryayush said:
Dude, I can understand the poor English but Comic Sans? Honestly! Please spare us the agony! :p

And don't be offended, for God's sake.
time pass. I feel apple follows trends that are often slightly out of the "normal" stuff we PC users are sued to. Thus, I just made it a joke, by using Comic Sans for the article, hilighting apple's difference from PCs.

This is cheap humour, none you can follow.

And yes, the grammer is bad, because I need to type blazingly fast, and think less, as I need to manage 3 forums at the same time, not something all can do.

Remember: Thou can never offend MetalheadGautham without Brinjal Curry. Yuck.

runeet

Broken In

Apple really makes some awsome stuff, they give good quality products that look amazing & also charge a premium amt of money for it, so that not really everyone can afford it.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl

goobimama said:
Apple may not be the ruler of the market share. I don't think it ever will as well. But there are more and more 'switchers' these days. And switchers generally don't switch back. So what I'm trying to say is, corporates and businesses may still have PCs as their preferred choice (Not necessarily Windows, but PCs) due to tech support and cheap machines, but professionals and businessmen, home users increasingly going in for the Mac platform...
*abbforums.net/forums/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif
right.*abbforums.net/forums/images/smilies/Cheers.gif

mac is good platform and will rule someday

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!

If i am not wrong..the reference the author or Job uses,is what i understand is quality...am i right?

If so.. I have heard many say that ipod is the best seller ,things like that..

So now my question is.. does zune outsells ipod?
Hope yöü all get the point...
Whole reply is based on my assumption of QUALITY which the author describes..
Sorry again if my assumption is wrong..

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ

Apple. Porsche?

:x

you can say Apple is TVS & Windows is Bajaj/Hero Honda:p

Apple ~ Hyundai :p
Windows (MS) ~ Toyota/Honda

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.