Do you support HIV test before the marriage?

Do you support the test for HIV before the marriage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

virus_killer

Journeyman
Guys,

I have been thinking to start a new thread on this topic for a while. The thread title says it all i guess. I want your opinion guys that weather The Government should introduce a new law that every man and woman has to test their blood before the marriage to make sure that either of them is not infected with HIV virus. This would help those people who are not infected with this virus or any other harmful diseases.

Let me tell you guys a short story.

There was a beautiful girl. she could have got the man she wants. but her parents forced her to marry a man who was living in a big city and having a good job. She begged her parents but they didn't listen to her. and finally, that girl had to marry that boy. after couple of years the boy died. and the reason was that he was infected with this HIV virus. now, it was confirmed that this girl will die anytime. she knew that she might die anytime. and after few years she died as well.

You can say that I knew this girl. My point is, this girl could not have died if there had been a law to test your blood before the marriage. and this innocent girl could have saved her life.

If the government does not pass this law then I know that many girls or boys family might not get agree with this test. because they might think that boy or girl's family has doubt on their family's characters. and that's why they are asking for this blood test. and they might not allow their marriage even if boy and girl is ready for the test.

I would be happy to test my blood if my partner or her family asks me to do so. what do you guys think about this issue.

Last edited:

Raccoon

Journeyman
Marriage should be a personal issue... the less lawmakers invade this teritory (at least!), the better!!!

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Marriage should be a personal issue... the less lawmakers invade this teritory (at least!), the better!!!
whom do you think the lawmakers are working for? Its for YOU. Whether you are HIV +ve or -ve, the govt is not going to benefit from it in anyway. Infact if you are infected and cannot afford the the medicines, govt will give you medicines at highly subsidized rates. It will not ask you to pay some extra tax if you are not infected.

I am a medico and I have seen people dying of this and so many diseases. Believe me, its not a personal issue. Its an issue of the community, its an issue of your country, its an issue of the developing countries and the whole world.

HIV infection does not limit itself to the pt himself/herself. Pt. can pass it to the spouse and children.

Hence, you must get yourself an HIV test done before marriage. Marriage may be a personal issue, but preventable death from such infectious, contagious and non-remedial diseases is not a personal issue.

And how do you think these people get HIv infection. 95% of the cases have alerting sexual history with multiple partners, prostitutes, homosexuality. These pts with such risky behaviour have no right to spoil other healthy peoples' lives.

If you still feel that this is a personal issue, come with me to J.J. Hospital and see yourself how miseably infected pt. and newborns die.

Do you want to give such a horrible death to a person to who commited their life to you? or do you want to die such a horrible death by receiving HIV infection from an infected partner?

If you still feel its personal, you can go ahead and do what pleases you, but if the ball bounces the wrong way for you, remember, you will get no help as there is no 'cure' for it as yet.

Choose wisely, live happily.

OP
virus_killer

virus_killer

Journeyman
@ Raccoon:

It should be a persona issue. but as i said in my earlier post that what if either of them is infected with this virus and his/her partner doesn't know about this thing? How would you feel if after couple of years you get to know that your partner was infected with HIV virus? would that be easy for you to digest? that time you might think that it would have been better if you and your partner could have done that test before the marriage.

Raccoon

Journeyman
Dudes, dudes, I'm NOT against AIDS testing!!! Im against the fact that you need someone else to FORCE you to do it!

Ditto for other stuff... like helmets... they should be worn, they save your skull from cracking, I wear one myself when I'm on my bike... but I dont want anyone to tell me that I should or shouldn't wear it! You can create awarness for it, advertise it, etc; but should not make it compulsory! After all everyone's skull is his own responsibility.

And what happenes even if you make it compulsory? Cop catches you, you can bribe him say 20 bux... and carry on... get the gist??

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
After all everyone's skull is his own responsibility.
Will you maintain the same thing of if the person in question was your brother, sister, mother, father, wife, child or any other beloved ones?

Would you let them risk their lives so easily?

Will you maintain the same thing of if the person in question was your brother, sister, mother, father, wife, child or any other beloved ones?

Chill man :)
This should be in fight club :D
PS. Your post count is at Nelson's No. :wink:

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
btw Neslon's num is 111 naa?

u too hav exams from 18th(tomorrow)?

btw What are you doing?

Last edited:

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
hmmm.....u doing any medical courseby any chance? bcoz all med exams are starting tomorrow...so i just asked!

OP
virus_killer

virus_killer

Journeyman
Dudes, dudes, I'm NOT against AIDS testing!!! Im against the fact that you need someone else to FORCE you to do it!

Ditto for other stuff... like helmets... they should be worn, they save your skull from cracking, I wear one myself when I'm on my bike... but I dont want anyone to tell me that I should or shouldn't wear it! You can create awarness for it, advertise it, etc; but should not make it compulsory! After all everyone's skull is his own responsibility.

And what happenes even if you make it compulsory? Cop catches you, you can bribe him say 20 bux... and carry on... get the gist??

Dude, If you don't wear a helmet then you will only break your own skull not others. but In this case , if you or your had not worn a condom ( or say helmet) while sex ( or say driving) then it wouldn't only ruin their life but yours too. I hope you get my point.

And if govt is forcing you to wear a helmet while driving then it's for your own safety. and we won't come to know the importance of this until we have a very dangerous accident where chances of recovery are very less and you come to know that you will die one day. and at that time you will learn the importance of this rule.

Off topic : Please guys don't go off topic.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Now as a doctor I too have seen people dying like flies, as Rohan has mentioned above. It is a personal issue, but I would still support pre-marital testing. It will protect a lot of innocents. If a person wants to be promiscuous or not is their personal choice, but in our country when still most of the marriages are arranged, and where people still look at "backgrounds", an HIV test will go a long way. That way the HIV test is pretty objective :D Imagine if your marriage is arranged to someone, and you find out that he/she was HIV positive before marriage, and knew about it? I cannot digest that.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Well,it can do no harm so I am all in for it.Testing should be made mandatory for genetic disorders where both parents are recessive carriers and children have to suffer greatly.

Raccoon

Journeyman

Most certainly! It is better to die in freedom than to live in bondage. We are already living in a state with millions of laws... many of them utterly foolish. Laws dont in themselves improve anything... they only show that the society that still demands them is infantile.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I think the things like compulsion doesnt work in the marriage ! People are going to flout the norms left and right.
Hypothetically there should be compulsion on HIV testing to save the innocent spouse.But will it work in this dowry infested society i dont know.Yes dowry is very much alive in this society.India does still live in its villages.
So this is what we can do atleast.If a person is found hiding his Infection then he should be heavily penalized and punished. And charged with atleast abetment to murder.
People should atleast in arranged marriage ask for the certificate of testing before going in to the betrothal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom