Do you prefer stylized games or realistic looking ones?

Do you prefer stylized games or realistic looking ones?

• Total voters
OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
This post of yours doesn't prove anything really. At least nothing that i can buy.
For your information, tech gives rise to art direction. To make a game like Bio-shock Infinite, you need something like Unreal Engine 3 and not a mario, braid or bastion engine.

You are forgetting that when we talk of realism, its that we are trying to bridge the gap closer towards reality. To do that, tech has to move on and surely old tech will look displeasing in the future.
What's the point of bringing these here?

Also know that old tech gives rise to new. Without id tech 4, there would be no id-tech 5, UE-4, Frostbite and so on. John Carmack is considered the father of modern day gaming almost unanimously. I guess you know the reason why.

When id -tech 4 first made appearance in doom3, it was surely ahead of time and pushed technology to move and give rise to what we see today.
This is like Moore's law in gaming. I guess you know moore's law right?

When did he rob the title from Shigeru Miyamoto? I know that he is considered the father of 3D game engines, but modern Video Gaming?

This poll has nothing to do with tech so please don't keep on bringing it up.

My point was that stylized games hold much better than realistic one.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
This post of yours doesn't prove anything really. At least nothing that i can buy.
For your information, tech gives rise to art direction. To make a game like Bio-shock Infinite, you need something like Unreal Engine 3 and not a mario, braid or bastion engine.

You are forgetting that when we talk of realism, its that we are trying to bridge the gap closer towards reality. To do that, tech has to move on and surely old tech will look displeasing in the future.
What's the point of bringing these here?

Also know that old tech gives rise to new. Without id tech 4, there would be no id-tech 5, UE-4, Frostbite and so on. John Carmack is considered the father of modern day gaming almost unanimously. I guess you know the reason why.

When id -tech 4 first made appearance in doom3, it was surely ahead of time and pushed technology to move and give rise to what we see today.
This is like Moore's law in gaming. I guess you know moore's law right?

1. On the contrary, the developers decided on this art direction for the bioshock franchise and chose unreal engine as it would be the best way to display this art style. He consciously didn't mention Mario for a reason....
2. Which is why we said that realism correlates with tech. But it isn't because of tech that we want realism, but because we want realism that tech advanced. Demand isn't crated to meet supply (like apple junk), but supply is created to meet demand.
3. John Carmack is considered the father of first person shooters, not modern day gaming. Or are you telling me that modern day gaming is only made up of FPSes.
4. Moore's law seems to be slowing down...

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
Here's an example, this is a 2d(slightly 2.5D as well, sometimes) platformer called Ballpoint Universe. The game's art is completely made using a ball point pen. Now you're gonna need a basic-good engine/tech to create something as awesome as this, but not necessarily start of art tech like UE4, FB3.0, or CE3 right? They are co related, and dependent on each other, but you really don't need extremely high tech to create games that are compelling in terms or art.

[youtube]mn__OW4j4L4[/youtube]

Doesn't that video kind of prove my point?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
1. On the contrary, the developers decided on this art direction for the bioshock franchise and chose unreal engine as it would be the best way to display this art style. He consciously didn't mention Mario for a reason....
2. Which is why we said that realism correlates with tech. But it isn't because of tech that we want realism, but because we want realism that tech advanced. Demand isn't crated to meet supply (like apple junk), but supply is created to meet demand.
3. John Carmack is considered the father of first person shooters, not modern day gaming. Or are you telling me that modern day gaming is only made up of FPSes.
4. Moore's law seems to be slowing down...

1. Yeah but he pitted killzone and BF games against braid/bastion and the likes. No way he meant about Bioshock/Dishonored styled titles.
I would also like to put far cry 3 here if that's what this thread means of depicting stylized titles.

2.Of course this is a valid point. Realism exists due to tech and like you said in economics term, i would like to put it as "necessity is the mother of invention".
The dire need of realism gives rise to the development of advanced tech in both hardware and software fields ( game engines, api's and of course gpu :p).

3.Well that's not what i meant. He's also considered as the pioneer of 3d graphics, fps, tps or any genre. Third person titles also are a derivative of fps only with a different camera angle.
He's best known for the innovations and contributions in advanced 3d graphics. His work on id-tech 4 and the recent id-tech5 are known to have driven the entire industry forward.
That was my point.

4.Moore's law still holds true. Gaming industry is showing no signs of slowing down in moving forward.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
1. Yeah but he pitted killzone and BF games against braid/bastion and the likes. No way he meant about Bioshock/Dishonored styled titles.
I would also like to put far cry 3 here if that's what this thread means of depicting stylized titles.

2.Of course this is a valid point. Realism exists due to tech and like you said in economics term, i would like to put it as "necessity is the mother of invention".
The dire need of realism gives rise to the development of advanced tech in both hardware and software fields ( game engines, api's and of course gpu :p).

3.Well that's not what i meant. He's also considered as the pioneer of 3d graphics, fps, tps or any genre. Third person titles also are a derivative of fps only with a different camera angle.
He's best known for the innovations and contributions in advanced 3d graphics. His work on id-tech 4 and the recent id-tech5 are known to have driven the entire industry forward.
That was my point.

4.Moore's law still holds true. Gaming industry is showing no signs of slowing down in moving forward.

1. LittleBigPlanet is neither Braid nor Bastion-like.
3. List of people considered father or mother of a field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For point 3 notice that Carmack is father of 3D gaming, while Miyamoto is the father of modern video games. Besides, Carmack pioneered Shooters, not "any genre" as you put it. In Strategy circles (turn based and RTS) he is never mentioned (Sid Meier is probably the closest to father of for strategy), RPGs have Gary Gygax, Stealth Hideo Kojima, and the modern day industry is credited to Noland Bushnell.

cyborg47

Technomancer
There's a common misconception that good tech automatically means realistic graphics. Lot of people forget that its the color palette that actually makes all the difference, ask any experienced traditional fine artist, this is what they'll say.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
There's a common misconception that good tech automatically means realistic graphics. Lot of people forget that its the color palette that actually makes all the difference, ask any experienced traditional fine artist, this is what they'll say.

Very true. I hated the dull colours of Battlefield 3. They needed to be vivid to really make the game come alive.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Besides, Carmack pioneered Shooters, not "any genre" as you put it.

err..he pioneered 3d graphics engines. His team used it to make fps games. Genres aren't limited by engines.

Very true. I hated the dull colours of Battlefield 3. They needed to be vivid to really make the game come alive.

Not necessarily. That's the color palette DICE chose to go with. Nothing wrong with that. I think the game looks gorgeous.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
err..he pioneered 3d graphics engines. His team used it to make fps games. Genres aren't limited by engines.

Not necessarily. That's the color palette DICE chose to go with. Nothing wrong with that. I think the game looks gorgeous.

Yes, but if you read my post I've mentioned that he's the father of 3D gaming.

As for battlefield 3, that was my initial impression. I got used to it later and it wasn't so bad after that.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Far cry 3.... ;)

Besides i wanted to share this list but my place is having a hell lot of power cuts today and my ups battery is completely wasted. Besides i had a major surgery and cannot sit down on anything, let alone a chair. :p

IGN - 10. John Carmack

This list contains all the names you mentioned and i don't seem to disagree. Check out the new fox engine for mgsV The phantom pain. It seems Kojima is also heading down the reality road.

Metal Gear Solid 5 FOX Engine Tech Demo video is stunning | PIXEL ENEMY

*gamingbolt.com/fox-engine-gdc-2013-tech-demo-released-by-kojima-productions

gameranand

Living to Play
Alright please some of my questions

1. Under which category Skyrim comes, realism or stylised ?? Please give proper explanation
2. Are we strictly talking about game graphics and no gameplay whatsoever in this thread ??

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan

That was my point.

1. Just because i used LBP/Braid/Bastion as examples doesn't mean that the others are excluded. I used them because they came to my mind first and do a good job of showing stylization in games.

3. Except for the fact that the gaming industry was driven forward by idTech 1 - 4, but not much by 5. You said that he is considered the father of modern video gaming unanimously while he is considered the father of modern 3D games and FPSs.

4. The video game industry is slowing down.

*www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/arts/vi...ine-despite-new-hits.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
The Video Game Industry is likely to Experience a Slow Down| Game Industry News | iPhone iPod Touch iPad Game News, Review and Updates
Video game industry weakens as recession worsens | TG Daily

Today AAA games cost tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to develop and need to sell 2 - 5 million copies to break even. Most games don't sell that much. Tomb Raider and Hitman couldn't meet Square Enix's expectations inspite of selling well.

Profits and margins of developers and publishers are down. Companies like Square Enix are bleeding money. I need not go into the recent THQ demise. One bomb is enough to add a game studio to this list:

NeoGAF - View Single Post - List of studios closed since 2006

Very little innovation is happening in AAA studios and they are becoming more and more risk averse(there are exceptions ofc). These are not signs of a healthy industry.

darkv0id

Journeyman
Alright please some of my questions

1. Under which category Skyrim comes, realism or stylised ?? Please give proper explanation
2. Are we strictly talking about game graphics and no gameplay whatsoever in this thread ??

1. Imo Skyrim would come under realism. From character models(perfectly proportioned humans), textures, to the lighting and color palette(faded colors to give a sense of the bleak, harsh world that Skyrim is), I think Bethesda were definitely going for realism.
2. Yup, I think we're talking only about graphics.

Feel free to disagree. :)

gameranand

Living to Play
1. Imo Skyrim would come under realism. From character models(perfectly proportioned humans), textures, to the lighting and color palette(faded colors to give a sense of the bleak, harsh world that Skyrim is), I think Bethesda were definitely going for realism.
2. Yup, I think we're talking only about graphics.

Feel free to disagree. :)

No I actually agree with you, I was thinking the same. :)

Top Bottom