Do you own a desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpanshu

Broken In
Desktops are not selling anymore. Laptops are fast enough and are not too costly. Also tablets are available cheaply.

I am stating the facts. Look around there are very few shops selling desktops.

I want to ask if you own a desktop, what makes you keep one or buy a desktop over other options.

Is it gaming?
Is it the way you use it?

TheFallenLord

Journeyman
I actually hate portables be it laptops, tabs or whatever because the only thing they are good at is portability. For everything else desktops are far better.

> First of all, you are posting in wrong section. Second, what is the purpose of this thread?

> Reasons for choosing desktop over laptop:

1. upgradibility
2. better configuration in same price
3. same configuration is much lower price
4. more processing power at same price
5. customizability
6. much longer warranty period than any laptop
7. can be modded
8. overclockability
9. easier to cleen
10. failure of one component can be quickly and easily compensated by replacing it with temporary part while orignal part is repaired
11. much better ergonomics

(Tell me if you want more points)

> Reasons for choosing laptop over desktop:

1. portability

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
when you say desktop sales are low cause people donot need to upgrade every couple of years like in 2000s. Now for gamers who bought a quaad core in 2010/11 are still getting good enough performance for not to upgrade, just upgrade the GPU time to time, thats it . This does not mean people are not using desktops.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
if u get the right config , laptops are as good and upgradable as desktops
if u are faint of heart to open up a laptop then a desktop makes sense
otherwise the misconception that laptops are inferior isnt true

Nerevarine

Incarnate

:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

> First of all, you are posting in wrong section. Second, what is the purpose of this thread?

> Reasons for choosing desktop over laptop:

1. upgradibility
2. better configuration in same price
3. same configuration is much lower price
4. more processing power at same price
5. customizability
6. much longer warranty period than any laptop
7. can be modded
8. overclockability
9. easier to cleen
10. failure of one component can be quickly and easily compensated by replacing it with temporary part while orignal part is repaired
11. much better ergonomics

(Tell me if you want more points)

> Reasons for choosing laptop over desktop:

1. portability

recently every single post you make is just way too perfect..are you sure you are not a bot ?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

recently every single post you make is just way too perfect..are you sure you are not a bot ?

dude, im sick of ur lame comments on any post i make , ur arguements are invalid and like i said if u dont agree with others, act like they dont exist so yeah stop posting if u dont have anything valid to contribute, if u have something worth sharing , post it otherwise stop its really annoying

Nerevarine

Incarnate
harshil gave you 11 reasons why it is true :p.. i can think of a few more if you want but nooo,
these are all invalid points right ? we are all desktop fanboys who cant think beyond our desktop boundaries

nomad47

Cyborg Agent

Tell me o' master how one upgrades a laptop??

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Tell me o' master how one upgrades a laptop??

nomad u are, upgrade gpu u must
*lmgtfy.com/?q=mxm+port

- - - Updated - - -

harshil gave you 11 reasons why it is true :p.. i can think of a few more if you want but nooo,
these are all invalid points right ? we are all desktop fanboys who cant think beyond our desktop boundaries

theres 3 beautiful words i have to describe your lameness
fyi i never called u a desktop fanboy
i have both great laptops and desktops but i use my laptops more as its portable and decently powered
i never said desktops or laptops are bad i said both have their own limitations
for me too many wires and clutter caused by desktops isnt worth it though upgradability at great prices is good but by the time u need to upgrade a good desktop, its already worth buying a new one
unless ur the type who bought a p4 and kept upgrading it at high rates only to realize its bottlenecked and its better to buy an i3 based newer pc

my points were in addition to harshils points incase ur stupid not to notice that none of the points overlap or conflict

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Laptops have their uses though, portability is a big factor for people like me, especially for browsing and stuff like that.. thats why i got myself a mid end ultrabook..
but gaming sucks on a laptop, my 36k rig (1.5 year old) can beat the crap out of most 50k laptops in games

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
nomad u are, upgrade gpu u must
*lmgtfy.com/?q=mxm+port

Laptop GPUs are soldered to the motherboard and hence its not upgradeable. As far I know there are no laptops on the low to mid range with options for GPU upgrade.

Neuron

Electronic.
Desktops will always be way ahead of laptops. You cannot upgrade the GPU and CPU of a laptop. So that ends the question of upgradabilty. It's true that for majority of the people out there a laptop will suffice. But that doesn't mean the desktops are useless.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Laptop GPUs are soldered to the motherboard and hence its not upgradeable. As far I know there are no laptops on the low to mid range with options for GPU upgrade.

did u even see the link i posted? alienware, msi ,clevo etc have the ability to upgrade gpu, cpu etc
there are tonnes of mid range laptops which can be upgraded

- - - Updated - - -

Desktops will always be way ahead of laptops. You cannot upgrade the GPU and CPU of a laptop. So that ends the question of upgradabilty. It's true that for majority of the people out there a laptop will suffice. But that doesn't mean the desktops are useless.

not all laptops are upgradable but some are
i never said desktops are useless :)

- - - Updated - - -

Laptops have their uses though, portability is a big factor for people like me, especially for browsing and stuff like that.. thats why i got myself a mid end ultrabook..
but gaming sucks on a laptop, my 36k rig (1.5 year old) can beat the crap out of most 50k laptops in games

like i said depends on config, a desktop i3 = an intel mobility i5 (m-series only not ulv) cpu
as for gpu, if u use an older ddr3 desktop gpu it cant beat a gddr5 laptop gpu
so it all depends on the config
if u have a 50k rig with a 2500k its one of the best cpus even today and beats the crap out of most laptops and even desktops
heat, upgradability on the other hand is a totally different story

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
@OP I stand corrected. But again it is very hard to upgrade as there are a lot of factors and availability.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
@OP I stand corrected. But again it is very hard to upgrade as there are a lot of factors and availability.

In India availability is an issue but in US, they are as easily available as desktop components.
To upgrade a laptop you just need a screwdriver. Any CPU(core i7s) will work as long the generation is same. GPU upgrading is even simpler. Just open it up, detach GPU and attach ANY MXM 3.0 compatible GPU. You do need to mod the bios but there are elaborate guides for that. Last of all, you still need juice so buying a new brick is a must but then again when people upgrade desktop GPUs, they usually buy a PSU too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom