Do you have hyundai i20 (petrol)?

Sarath

iDota
In Bangalore its giving 13kmpl in city drives... I'd say if you drive over 20km per day on average, better opt for a Diesel car.

When does the premium for diesel pay for itself?

Ok I will think of the calculations: link
Petrol: 13kmpl @75/litre Hyundai i20 Era 1.2 BS-IV Rs. 4,64,875
Diesel: 20kmpl @45/litre Hyundai i20 Era 1.4 CRDI Rs. 5,77,217

Difference in price: Rs.112342 approx which is:
Diesel 2496.5 L or 50000Km
Petrol 1497.8 L or 19472Km

If you drive 30km per day then in a year it is 10950Km. So in less than 2 years (or even sooner if petrol rises faster than diesel), you get your investment back on the diesel and you start saving.

However the cost of servicing of a diesel is though to be more than the petrol. I am not aware but that also factors in the returns.

Summary: Take diesel if you drive around 900-1000km per month (30km/day)

-----------------------------xx---------------------------------------------------xx---------------------------------------------------xx----------------------
-----------------------------xx---------------------------------------------------xx---------------------------------------------------xx----------------------

I was on the verge of taking possession of i20 as I had received loan draft in favour of the dealer. Then I took second test drive and felt the lag in 2nd gear. An i20 user told (his car had stopped besides my Wagon R at Traffic Lights) that it struggles in climbing steep roads. Like others asingh also feels that this is not suitable for long drives. He feels back pain also. Also, the back seat does not give thigh support.
Despite all these, i20 is not going out of my mind.

Today the dealer has asked me to take another test drive. He has also offered additional discount of 10000 in addition to Rs 5000 offered earlier along with free fog lamps. This will, however, not affect my decision but I shall take another test drive tomorrow or on Saturday and shall visit Honda dealer again.

Did you check the Polo, Jazz etc also?

Second gear in normal driving scenario doesn't last more than 3seconds at most. Is it that important?
I actually don't understand what the "lag" is? I will have to experience it first hand to know it. Might pop into a showroom for a test drive someday :))

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
However the cost of servicing of a diesel is though to be more than the petrol. I am not aware but that also factors in the returns.

Just to clear your doubt, this doesn't stand true for current generation of diesel engines. maintenance used to be an issue with carburetor based engines but now engines have fuel injection technology which does not require aggressive maintenance.

I have a WagonR which needs servicing every 5K k.m. while my Figo (diesel) goes to service center every 10K k.m. Charges? Well not "big" difference.

But as everyone says, opt for diesel only if you drive 1K km/month otherwise it is not worth it.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman
Getting i20 sportz petrol ~ Rs. 5.36L OTR, seat covers additional [instead of fog lamps offered earlier as on this model fog lamps can not be fitted :-( ]
Honda Jazz ~ Rs. 5.96L OTR.
Rs.60K difference is a big amount for me as my actual budget is Rs.5L only, so i20 finalized. Will be taking delivery on coming Sunday i.e., 9.10.11 (09.10.2011).

Any last minute suggestion is most welcome.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Thanks to all. I know TDF members are always eager to extend their help.

My quarries (for loaded car with AC on) are as under:
1. Does the car is felt underpowered?
2. Does the lag shown in 2nd/3rd gear irritate?
3. How does stearing behave at high speed - does it remain too light?
4. How do you feel the suspension at bumpy roads ?
5. Is overtaking comfortable at highways or you need to prepare in advance before overtaking?
6. How much it struggles on steep inclines?
7. At what speed do you drive at highways and what is the mileage obtained at this speed ?
8. Is the car suitable for long drives?
9. Are you satisfied with your car?

My cousin has i20 Sportz & I have driven it many times so I would be happy to answer your questions:-

1. Yes it feels underpowered because the power to weight ratio is poor. Power is 80 PS but the weight of the car is more as compared to other hatches.
2. Not much. But if your car is loaded with five adults and luggage you need to keep it in the power band as the torque is low.
3. Never drove at 100+ so can't say.
5. It's ok.
6. Again, a downshift is needed with load otherwise 4th gear should do fine.
7. 60-80. Above that not possible in Himachal. Mileage is around 15 but you can attribute to hilly area.
8. Yeah, it is very comfortable.
9. Going for the Sportz option is not recommended as you can get a i20 diesel with 90 PS power & 200 Nm torque just by shelling out 5.78 lakhs. Sportz comes at 5.60 here. Moreover, that awesome torque will be super useful on highways.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman
Thanks hellknight.
My monthly run is less than 400 km. Price is also a factor as I have already stretched my budget. I am getting petrol Sportz for 5.15 L after all discounts and exchange offer. So can not go for diesel.
I have now decided to wait for upgraded version expected in January 2012 as I do not feel comfortable in buying this car with inferior engine (kappa) compared to its junior i10 having better kappa2 engine.

btw 15 is a good mileage in hilly area.

Top Bottom