:-? Do I need a good sound card or speaker system or both for 5.1 channel

cavalryguard

Broken In
Is it better to invest in
1) Good speakers without a sound card
2) Good sound card with budget speakers
3) Need to get both good ones

I have ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo that already has 7.1....Will this suffice along with good speakers?

I wont be using speakers a lot anyway...just occasionally for gaming and some music.

clmlbx

Technomancer
If you are gonna use occasionally for games and music I believe you should be ok with just good speakers.. no need for better sound card.. well sound card is always better, but for occasional and casual users good speakers should be good enough..

See best is always best but compare with your needs, do you need it? Practically if you are ok with sound with just good speakers then why spend more on sound card

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
clmlbx is correct! for your usage-needs, you would not want to unnecessarily spend on a costly sound card. i could've suggested to you the asus xonar dg sound card, which retails for close to INR 1.6k, but then you probably won't be using headphones much (since you haven't mentioned it), and would game too just occasionally, so even this cheap sound card may not be utilised well by you (since it comes with a dedicated headphone amp and gaming audio-engine....its a VFM buy).

remember, atleast in case of audio/video, you should first choose a good source, then choose good medium (ie, speakers), because if you first choose good speakers, and neglect a good source, what you are going to listen is what will be fed to it, ie, garbage in --> garbage out, and then you may blame the speakers themselves to be useless, wherein the source really is the culprit; but if you go by the correct way mentioned, then its the other way round, because the hallmark of a good audio/video medium/device is, it should output the source signal with least fiddling done by its own. processing is the job of the source, and should be left to it.

- if you first get a good (processing) source, and THEN get good speakers, then you get a good output.
- if you neglect a good source, and buy good speakers, then you get mediocre output (for a mediocre source).
- if you get a good source, but get bad speakers, you get bad output (since bad speakers can't do justice to the capabilities of the good source).

this is not to say that your current source (onboard sound) is bad. in fact, it is just apt in the current scenario!

so having a set of budget speakers (you could go ahead with mentioning your budget now....we could suggest you some models) for your kind of usage would be recommended. but if you would like to still insist, xonar dg could be a decent choice for a sound card for you. let us know if you would like to discuss which speakers to select.

OP
C

cavalryguard

Broken In
Well I use my computer a lot but utmost 1hr for gaming. I use headphones depending on necessity (Don't want others in the house to hear un-parliamentary language :p)

I am buying with my own money but don't want to spend more than 6K for card+speakers (prefer 5.1 channel). But feel free to suggest lower or a bit higher too.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
there are several options under 6k....i would suggest either F&D F6000, or logitech's Z506. the former one can be auditioned at any 'more' mall. it has garnered many favourable reviews, on this forum too. F&D has some 5.1 speakers in the lesser price-segment too, like F3000U, F900U, & F1100U. but the F6000 is the more powerful one. even logitech Z506 is very good. with F6000, you don't necessarily need a sound card. check for F6000 locally first, and if you are unable to find it locally, then head for Z506.

creative T6160 is also a good set. just consult megamind once on it.

and if you wish to have a sound card, asus xonar dg will be a good choice.

OP
C

cavalryguard

Broken In
What about Software? There are some audio software too......Some cost as much as a sound card - what use are they of you already have a good sound card and speakers?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
xonar dg itself has a great GUI with various functions which complement the capabilities of the sound card, so you need not worry for those third-party softwares at all!

Minion

Conversation Architect
What about Software? There are some audio software too......Some cost as much as a sound card - what use are they of you already have a good sound card and speakers?

They are waste I was previously using creative X-FI software with my onboard audio(REALTEK) it increases my onboard audio quality but when i bought Xonar DG I got awesome sound now i can hear very minute detail.

If you need good quality audio I will suggest you Logitech Z623 for 7k and Asus DG for 1.6k.

I got it from golcha computers in bangalore.

Top Bottom