Do Cheap Chargers damage/harm Mobile /Cell phone?

ajayritik

Technomancer
I recently bought a cheap mobile phone charger for Rs 60 from local mobile store for my LG Optimus Net. One thing I observed is when I have the mobile charging with this I can't operate it since I don't seem to unlock the phone. Its only after I unplug the charger can I access my mobile. Is this due to the cheap mobile charger. Will constant use of this damage/harm my phone. Since I move across different places I thought I need another mobile charger. Also I have Samsung Galaxy S2. Is it a good idea to use this charger?

Kindly suggest!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
:duh2::banghead::wwe: get a Belkin charger.. would set you up 700 bucks. or get a official charger.. please note the voltage and current output of the charger.. cause I just junked my battery by using a lower voltage/current charger..

check if you can get a official Apple Charger.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
:duh2::banghead::wwe: get a Belkin charger.. would set you up 700 bucks. or get a official charger.. please note the voltage and current output of the charger.. cause I just junked my battery by using a lower voltage/current charger..

check if you can get a official Apple Charger.

Apple Charger? Why would I want that? I have an LG Optimus Net mobile so why would I buy an apple charger?

doomgiver

Warframe
see, the cheao chargers are cheap coz they have cheap components... infact, many of them dont follow safety guidelines, to cut prices.

example :
they may skip out on a few resistors and diodes to decrease cost... so that instead of giving steady current, it gives a jerky signal. if you know about electronics, then you know how important it is to put in proper diodes in rectifier circuits.

doomgiver

Warframe
this is caused by insufficient shielding of the electronics in the phone from your charger. replace it ASAP.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
this is caused by insufficient shielding of the electronics in the phone from your charger. replace it ASAP.

I didn't get you? You mean to say my phone doesn't have the shielding. I don't have the problem with my original LG Charger and Samsung S2 Charger. Only problem with this one. So you are saying to be off this charger?

doomgiver

Warframe
I didn't get you? You mean to say my phone doesn't have the shielding. I don't have the problem with my original LG Charger and Samsung S2 Charger. Only problem with this one. So you are saying to be off this charger?

ok, call_func_dumb_down()

the electronics in the charger is screwing around the electronics in the phone... ok?
or
the electricity in the charger is leaking into your phone.

end_func_dumb_down()

what this means is taht your touchscreen is built to handle very specific voltage ranges... if the charger is interfering with the voltage in the touchscreen (which it SHOULDNT), then you have a dangerous situation at hand. the warranty may be voided in your case.

duke123

In the zone
see, the cheao chargers are cheap coz they have cheap components... infact, many of them dont follow safety guidelines, to cut prices.

example :
they may skip out on a few resistors and diodes to decrease cost...

no offense man but skipping a few resistors or diodes will only save 2,3 rupees max...if you have practical electronics knowledge you will understand that a good charger can be built really cheap....

ok, call_func_dumb_down()

the electronics in the charger is screwing around the electronics in the phone... ok?
or
the electricity in the charger is leaking into your phone.

end_func_dumb_down()

what this means is taht your touchscreen is built to handle very specific voltage ranges... if the charger is interfering with the voltage in the touchscreen (which it SHOULDNT), then you have a dangerous situation at hand. the warranty may be voided in your case.

i know the fake chargers may affect phone life but electricity cannot simply leak and run on the entire phone affecting touch screen etc because of a fake charger...

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
i know the fake chargers may affect phone life but electricity cannot simply leak and run on the entire phone affecting touch screen etc because of a fake charger...

lol...it runs deeper interfering with the decoding of touch responses. You see, his phone is not able to sense the finger gesture amidst all the commotion.

duke123

In the zone
lol...it runs deeper interfering with the decoding of touch responses. You see, his phone is not able to sense the finger gesture amidst all the commotion.

the charger output is a voltage/current that charges the phone battery..it cannot leak through the entire phone affecting touch screen etc...its not a sophisticated signal that runs all through the phone and create commotion...
ya maybe it runs deeper but what he mentioned was it just leaks and flows to touch screen area and affect its working...

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
no offense man but skipping a few resistors or diodes will only save 2,3 rupees max...

you actually have no idea what you are talking about... tut tut
do you know exactly what components are used in the original chargers? their specs? the best you can do is reverse engineer them or just fit in a generic one, which might or might not work.

all that enginnering is done while at the same time trying to cut down costs. less cost = lower quality ****.
now, while making pizza you wont skimp on the cheese or mushrooms, no? or will you substitute it for paneer and the common garden mushrooms?

and keep in mind that many components of these chargers are custom ordered, proprietary and highly controlled.

the charger output is a voltage/current that charges the phone battery..it cannot leak through the entire phone affecting touch screen etc...its not a sophisticated signal that runs all through the phone and create commotion... ya maybe over voltage/current may damage the device but affecting simple functions like non registering of touch screen etc is impossible..
is not the battery connected to the other stuff?
its like saying that the water from the open tap wont wet the floor becasue i've opened the drain, and its being drained away.

the capacituve screen requires specific values of current and voltage to function. you provide wrong parameters and it wont work. just like you give less fuel to engine, it'l die, or provide it incorrect fuel/air mix, it might even blow up.

duke123

In the zone
you actually have no idea what you are talking about... tut tut
do you know exactly what components are used in the original chargers? their specs? the best you can do is reverse engineer them or just fit in a generic one, which might or might not work.

all that enginnering is done while at the same time trying to cut down costs. less cost = lower quality ****.
now, while making pizza you wont skimp on the cheese or mushrooms, no? or will you substitute it for paneer and the common garden mushrooms?

and keep in mind that many components of these chargers are custom ordered, proprietary and highly controlled.

is not the battery connected to the other stuff?
its like saying that the water from the open tap wont wet the floor becasue i've opened the drain, and its being drained away.

the capacituve screen requires specific values of current and voltage to function. you provide wrong parameters and it wont work. just like you give less fuel to engine, it'l die, or provide it incorrect fuel/air mix, it might even blow up.

you dont need to be a genius to figure out whats inside a charger..its just a voltage regulator(taught at plus 2 level) with specified voltage/current levels..ya i know whats used inside them..a transformer,some diodes,resisters,zener diode some voltage/current limiter...or you can just use a IC voltage regulator like 7805 to avoid all these...
you dont need to reverse engineer a charger to built one..just check whats the range of input/output voltage current its providing..if you have seen a charger you might have noticed its written on it sadly you havent:cry:
have you opened a charger and seen its inside??? trust me there is not much to reverse engineer...

the output of charger is just voltage/current now only problem that can come is over voltage/current as we are not expecting a PCM signal at charger output..

now if you have idea of electronic circuit board its not a direct path between charger and touch screen ..there are many components in between...so a voltage /current cannot directly propagate(unlike from charger to battery) to touch screen(for example if you have a not gate out put is zero voltage when input is high)and there are thousands of components integrated which has got adequate security measures for over voltage/current at various stages to protect the circuit..in case of high voltage/current exceeding the circuits threshold these circuits get burned and voltage appears directly at touch screen..
it might be possible if battery/charger is directly short circuited with touch screen so that touch screen might malfunction and thats the problem with the phone not charger... a cheap charger may affect the phones life long term but highly unlikely to affect phones regular normal function touch detection...

your comments like they may skip out on a few resistors and diodes to decrease cost(resisters/diodes even military grade costs 1,2 rupees),the electricity in the charger is leaking into your phone etc shows the level of practical knowledge you have...:shock:

i am not an electronics genius neither are you...gain some practical knowledge before commenting like a noob tuk tuk tuk and calling others dumb...

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
you dont need to be a genius to figure out whats inside a charger..its just a voltage regulator(taught at plus 2 level) with specified voltage/current levels..ya i know whats used inside them..a transformer,some diodes,resisters,zener diode some voltage/current limiter...or you can just use a IC voltage regulator like 7805 to avoid all these...
oh really? lets see you make one then.
you dont need to reverse engineer a charger to built one..just check whats the range of input/output voltage current its providing..if you have seen a charger you might have noticed its written on it sadly you havent:cry:
buddy, you obviously dont know how to make circuits and such. each component you add/remove has a specific and observable effect on the whole circuit, includng input/output. basic electronics. go ahead, try it out with an old chaargr and a multimeter. shout out a resistor or something and then read the output and input.

have you opened a charger and seen its inside??? trust me there is not much to reverse engineer...
yes, on 3 different occasions. on the el cheapo charger, there were identifying markings. on the laptop and phone chargers, no markings (original OEM model) so, if you dont know what the components are, how you gonna make the circuit, genius?

the output of charger is just voltage/current now only problem that can come is over voltage/current as we are not expecting a PCM signal at charger output..

now if you have idea of electronic circuit board its not a direct path between charger and touch screen ..there are many components in between...so a voltage /current cannot directly propagate(unlike from charger to battery) to touch screen(for example if you have a not gate out put is zero voltage when input is high)and there are thousands of components integrated which has got adequate security measures for over voltage/current at various stages to protect the circuit..in case of high voltage/current exceeding the circuits threshold these circuits get burned and voltage appears directly at touch screen..
it might be possible if battery/charger is directly short circuited with touch screen so that touch screen might malfunction and thats the problem with the phone not charger... a cheap charger may affect the phones life long term but highly unlikely to affect phones regular normal function touch detection...
so, according to you, a circuit is just a magical doodad that comes to life and is totally isolated except for the electrical impulses? what about the electromagnetic feilds inside? or did you forget to include them in your hurry to be a lvl 80 troll?

your comments like they may skip out on a few resistors and diodes to decrease cost(resisters/diodes even military grade costs 1,2 rupees),the electricity in the charger is leaking into your phone etc shows the level of practical knowledge you have...:shock:
yeah, right. good to know there is a Faraday in this forum. and when you are mass manufacturing chargers, saving a few rupees per charger can be very profitable, as you buy entire bins and racks of them. this is not your neighborhood bhaiiya who will give you a few resistors worth a couple of rupees. you dont even know what you are talking about. where are you pulling out these so called prices from? your posterior?

i am not an electronics genius neither are you...gain some practical knowledge before commenting like a noob tuk tuk tuk and calling others dumb...
it "tut tut" btw. and you are the noob :)
Ken Shirriff's blog: Tiny, cheap, and dangerous: Inside a (fake) iPhone charger
Ken Shirriff's blog: Apple iPhone charger teardown: quality in a tiny expensive package
boom, headshot.
there is gonna be interference at every level, man. you cant just take out the wheels from a bicycle and expect it to work.

1N4007GP-E3/54 - VISHAY GENERAL SEMICONDUCTOR - DIODE, STANDARD, 1A, 1000V | element14 India

1N5819-E3/54 - VISHAY - DIODE, SCHOTTKY, 1A, 40V | element14 India

MCRR25104X7RK0050 - MULTICOMP - CAPACITOR, 100NF, 50V, X7R,RADIAL | element14 India

HVR3700001504JA100 - VISHAY BC COMPONENTS - RESISTOR, 1M5 | element14 India

the difference of even a few rupees would mean a lot of profit, if a shop was turning out thousands of chargers a month, which the cheap chinese sweatshops are doing.

oh wait....
FUUUUUU

i just replied to a troll.
damn, this is the second time today.
must. resist. trolls.

Last edited:

Sam22

TV Expert
They will for sure destroy your mobile and after using cheapo chargers, a time will come when you won't be able to use your mobile as no charger in the world would be able to charge that...Samjhe ya Samjhaye :p

duke123

In the zone
it "tut tut" btw. and you are the noob :)
Ken Shirriff's blog: Tiny, cheap, and dangerous: Inside a (fake) iPhone charger
Ken Shirriff's blog: Apple iPhone charger teardown: quality in a tiny expensive package
boom, headshot.
there is gonna be interference at every level, man. you cant just take out the wheels from a bicycle and expect it to work.

1N4007GP-E3/54 - VISHAY GENERAL SEMICONDUCTOR - DIODE, STANDARD, 1A, 1000V | element14 India

1N5819-E3/54 - VISHAY - DIODE, SCHOTTKY, 1A, 40V | element14 India

MCRR25104X7RK0050 - MULTICOMP - CAPACITOR, 100NF, 50V, X7R,RADIAL | element14 India

HVR3700001504JA100 - VISHAY BC COMPONENTS - RESISTOR, 1M5 | element14 India

the difference of even a few rupees would mean a lot of profit, if a shop was turning out thousands of chargers a month, which the cheap chinese sweatshops are doing.

oh wait....
FUUUUUU

i just replied to a troll.
damn, this is the second time today.
must. resist. trolls.

:noob:

i already pointed out that i am not a electronics genius but dont you pretend you are one...you are calling others dumb,noob etc giving lame examples like pizza,water tap,cycle and ya tuk tuk tuk ,reverse engineeringetc shows your practical understanding of these..your points are correct because of these but you dont have absolutely no idea whats going inside since you are just good at copy paste links...(you took 1 day just to find these links)

i have used a nokia duplicate charger costing just 60₹ but it worked fine for years without any problems..its not just a big deal to design one...ya some may manufacture really cheap ones but thats very rare case as he doesn't gain much profit intentionally using cheap design but his product will soon go out of market...:banghead:

and whats all these components...ya individually they cost 20`30₹ but in the same page did you notice how the prices fell to 5-6₹ when ordered in bulk 500+ ..and original costs come around around 1-2₹...thats what i told no common sense..even if he uses cheap ones he wont gain much profits but his sales will be seriously affected...and noob fake charger is cheap costing just about 10% original charger you cannot expect it to be at par with branded one...and people in india like cheap ones...

i dont have any interest in convincing copy/paste noobs like you...troll all you want but restrain from giving electronics advice/knowledge and calling others dumb because u r noob...
:noob:

Last edited:

Flash

Lost in speed
Interesting to see the fights :lol:
@doomgiver: Though someone is a n00b/dumb/whatever (no offense duke123) , it is not a good way to express publicly at one. A person calling a 'n00b' by himself is different that someone commenting as a 'n00b'. Just cool yourself, buddy. If possible, explain. Else, explain & ignore. But, don't comment others in a way that it can evoke -ve thoughts. If you call me myself as an another troll, thats ok. I'm all ears.

@OP: In my college times, i bought a lot of cheap chargers for my Nokia - but all ended up in loose fit to the mobile charging port. I've to twist in a certain way to see the sign "Charging" message appear.

Not to scare you, but i heard a news where a phone blew because of the charging by cheap charger + speaking on the phone while charging - and the outcome is the "Guy lost an ear".

We are buying a mobile with 1000's of money, why not spend some 100's to buy an official (or trustable by some company) charger. Just buy a real one,buddy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom