Do a Google 'I'm Feeling Lucky' search straight from the address bar in Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello! :)
This is a really simple but very useful tutorial that most of you might already know. For those that don't, here's how to do it:
{The instructions in curly brackets are for the extremely few Mac users.}

1. Fire up Opera and hit 'Ctrl + F12' {'Command + ,'}, or navigate to 'Tools >> Preferences...' {'Opera >> Preferences...'}.
2. Click on the 'Search' tab.
3. Click on 'Add...'.
4. In the dialog box that appears, enter something in the 'Name' textbox (I use 'Google - I'm Feeling Lucky').
5. In the 'Keyword' field, you can enter anything that is not already used (I use 'ifl').
6. Copy and paste this in the 'Address' field:
Code:
*www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=%s&btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&meta=
7. Now, you enable the 'Use an default search engine' checkbox if you want to, well - use it as the default search engine. :D This means it will appear in the place of Google in the search field on the right of the address bar.
8. Click on 'OK' and then again on 'OK' (or hit 'Return' or 'Enter' twice).
9. Now enter 'ifl ' (note the space) followed by whatever you want to run an 'I'm Feeling Lucky' search on.

Here's a screenshot of what the 'Search Engine' preferences should look like when you are through with it:
*img20.imageshack.us/img20/3374/imfeelingluckytd5.th.png

If you did not know what this 'I'm Feeling Lucky' is all about, here's an explanation straight from the horse's mouth:
The "I'm Feeling Lucky™" button takes you directly to the first web page Google returned for your query. You will not see the other search results at all. An "I'm Feeling Lucky" search means you spend less time searching for web pages and more time looking at them.

For example, to find the homepage for Stanford University, simply enter Stanford into the search field and click on the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. Google takes you directly to "www.stanford.edu", the official homepage of Stanford University.

There, you're done. :)

Last edited:

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
nice tutorial.. and this works by default in FIREFOX 2
Just try

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Nice one...although it is basic you deserve the rep for taking the effort to post it...rep'd.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
It's applicable on any browser... I made a Digit post sometime back regd the same...

Anywhere... it's the same simple form...eg.. to do a lucky search on Adobe Photoshop (which obviously leads to the Adobe photoshop site), all u've to do is..
google.com/search?&q=adobe+photoshop&btnI
&btnI is the magic word... everything else is $hit.
All the rest search text ([noparse]*www.google.co.in/[/noparse]search?hl=en&q=%s&btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&meta=) is useless 4 the purpose...

Read the post
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48864

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No offence, buddy but I read through your post before posting mine and have read it thrice now but I still did not understand one word of it. Maybe I am just too dumb. :oops:

This tutorial is for those who want a simple nine-step process for achieving this on Opera without any explanations. :D

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
^^^
Maybe I am just too dumb.:oops:
*www.drunkendonkey.net/eng/html/emoticons/giggle.gif*img185.imageshack.us/img185/7581/moskingqa5.gif*webpages.charter.net/kylegdb/smilies/38.gif*img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif*img245.imageshack.us/img245/3316/tfr612ix4.gif

Well, this is a ONE-STEP process *smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/wink.gif
Nuthin much to understand... xcept that u've to add a &btnI to ur search phrase whenever u wanna lucky search.

Can it b more simple than this...
Lucky search adobe photoshop this way
google.com/search?&q=adobe+photoshop&btnI
Lucky search acronis this way
google.com/search?&q=acronis&btnI
Lucky search yahoo (mail OR email) this way
google.com/search?&q=yahoo+mail|email&btnI

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Now that you've got the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' thing all sorted out, you can use the following addresses for using any of the corresponding Google services:

Apple Macintosh:
Code:
*www.google.com/search?q=%s&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dmac=Search+Mac+Sites
Blog Search:
Code:
*blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&q=%s&btnG=Search+Blogs
Book Search:
Code:
*books.google.com/books?q=%s&btnG=Search+Books&as_brr=0
BSD:
Code:
*www.google.com/bsd?hl=en&q=%s&btnG=Search
Catalogs:
Code:
*catalogs.google.com/catalogs?q=%s&btnG=Search+Catalogs+%s&btnG=Search
Directory:
Code:
*www.google.com/search?q=%s&btnG=Search+Directory&hl=en&cat=gwd%2FTop
Finance:
Code:
*finance.google.com/finance?q=%s
Froogle:
Code:
*froogle.google.com/froogle?q=%s&btnG=Search+Froogle
Groups:
Code:
*groups.google.com/groups/search?q=%s&qt_s=Search+Groups
Code:
*images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%s&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
Linux:
Code:
*www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=%s&btnG=Search
Microsoft:
Code:
*www.google.com/microsoft?q=%s&hq=microsoft&btnG=Google+Search
Mobile Web:
Code:
*www.google.com/xhtml/search?mrestrict=xhtml&q=%s&btnG=Search&site=mobile
News:
Code:
*news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=%s&btnG=Search+News
News Archive Search:
Code:
*news.google.com/archivesearch?q=%s&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&btnG=Search+Archives
Patent Search:
Code:
*www.google.com/patents?q=%s&btnG=Search+Patents
Scholar:
Code:
*scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%s&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search
U.S. Government:
Code:
*www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%s&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dunclesam=Search+Government+Sites
Video:
Code:
*video.google.com/videosearch?q=%s

All you have to do is enter a name and keyword and any of these codes in the 'Address' field. Please let me know if some code does not work! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom