DIVX / XVID to DVD Format???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

I have a few videos in DIVX and XVID format. I want to watch them in my TV but my DVD Player doesnt support either of the formats. Which is the bst software that can convert the same into DVD format without any quality loss.

Thankyou.

Gt yourself a decent Divx player available (Mitashi, Root) for around 2k to 3k and save yourself the hassles of converting to DVD format burning it on to a DVD.

plsoft

Journeyman
Haven't tried but done some searchin, hope these tutorials are helpful.
1. *forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=249135
2. *forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=255111

nil_3

In the zone
go4saket said:
Thats not what I asked for...

True, you didn't ask that. But converting a DivX/Xvid movie to DVD will surely invoke a drastic loss in quality. In DivX/Xvid movies, frame-size, frame-rate and bit-rate are very much less than the minimum that is required in a standard DVD.

However, if you are not so much quality-concious(or, may be just for these movies you do not require so high quality) then you may use Xilisoft, Super DVD Creator, WinAVI Video Converter 7.6. etc; there are lots of softwares to do this task. Just google it.

Last edited:

plsoft

Journeyman
Quality may match the source, but never better.
@vysakh-Aren't you contradicting yur statements?

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Ok guys, I have a XVID encoded AVI file. It's bitrate is about 850. Now, when I convert the same to DVD using TMPGEnc and keep the output DVD bitrate to be the same, the final output turns out to be horrible. Why is this so. When the bitrate is kept the same, I guess the quality should also be the same...

nil_3

In the zone
go4saket said:
Ok guys, I have a XVID encoded AVI file. It's bitrate is about 850. Now, when I convert the same to DVD using TMPGEnc and keep the output DVD bitrate to be the same, the final output turns out to be horrible. Why is this so. When the bitrate is kept the same, I guess the quality should also be the same...

As I have stated before, in DivX/Xvid movies, frame-size, frame-rate and bit-rate are very much less than the minimum that is required in a standard DVD. Also there are a lot of other parameters. You are saying about 850kbps bitrate. The minimum standard bitrate for NTSC DVD is 1775 and it can go upto 8264kbps. The standard frame-size(resolution) for NTSC DVD is 720X480 and frame-rate is 29.97fps. Compare this with your DivX movie and you will find them far less. Moreover, further rendering will generate a lot of artifacts. The combined effect of all these makes your final output horrible.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

The frame rate of the XVID video I have is about 23 and if a DVD had a frame rate of 29.97, where does the extra frames come in from when we convert a XVID video to DVD.

nil_3

In the zone
Extra frames are created by the encoding software by way of RESAMPLING. Just consider four horizontal point on a paper. A ball goes from point 1 to point 4 passing through points 2 and 3 and a camera is capturing this movement. In an original NTSC DVD(29.97 fps) the position/movement of the ball at all the four points are very much prominent. When it is converted into XVid(23fps) the encoder just delets some frame, say, the frames of position 4. If this XVid is converted into NTSC DVD, the encoder will have to create the frames of position 4 which is practically impossible(because these frames are not there). The encoder then creates some extra frames of position 2 and 3 to meet up the required frame-rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom