Disk boot failure [Re-connecting sata cable and power cable solve the problem]

A

amit.tiger12

I was using net on computer. Suddenly black screen came like we see in windows error screen showing "sad smiley". After that it automatically restarts and black screen on boot-up was showing "disk boot failure, install system disk".
This happened lots of time, "while using computer black screen came and comp restarts, then that disk boot failure error". Everytime this happened I removed the connection of hard disk ie. sata cable, power cable. And tried by reconnecting other sata port (there are 4 ports). After trying so much, it starts.
Computer repairer told me that hard disk may have bad sectors that are causing them. So I checked & repair bad sectors through "Hiren's Boot CD". It repaired most of bad sectors, but problem occurs sometime. If computer working fine today, after sometime "disk boot failure".
In 2014, I never had such issue of disk boot failure, but yesterday I was installing windows 8.1 and beep sound came and setup was stopped at 35%. Removing and reconnecting hard disk connection solved the problem.

So, how do I solve this problem??? Do I have to buy new hard disk.?? Motherboard?? or Power supply??
I am using Hard disk from 2006, changed motherboard 2 times, asus(1 time), and now gigabyte(1 time).

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Maybe your SATA ports (or the SATA cable) are loose? Might be the reason your HDD disconnects frequently. Just a guess.

OP
A

amit.tiger12

Maybe your SATA ports (or the SATA cable) are loose? Might be the reason your HDD disconnects frequently. Just a guess.

It's not frequent. I also thought that. This happens sometimes. Now its working perfect.
This problem occurred while using computer (as I mention above), so I don't think its loose connection. If it's loose connection, then it should disk boot failure in boot screen, but in this situation computer restarted suddenly showing that black screen and "sad smiley".

Thanks for help. But need more suggestions.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Are you using the original SATA cable that was supplied along with motherboard.
have you tried with a new SATA cable?

OP
A

amit.tiger12

Are you using the original SATA cable that was supplied along with motherboard.
have you tried with a new SATA cable?

I am using original, which came with motherboard.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
some pointers for troubleshooting

try with a new or another SATA cable.

in my observation sound resembling beeps is heard from HDDs if they are not receiving enough power or are about to give up

try disconnecting DVD drive or any other additional devices and see if the system is stable.

whenever you get 'disk boot failure' error next time, don't plug/unplug cables for that moment and just restart and enter into BIOS and see if the HDD is getting detected.

OP
A

amit.tiger12

some pointers for troubleshooting

try with a new or another SATA cable.

in my observation sound resembling beeps is heard from HDDs if they are not receiving enough power or are about to give up

try disconnecting DVD drive or any other additional devices and see if the system is stable.

whenever you get 'disk boot failure' error next time, don't plug/unplug cables for that moment and just restart and enter into BIOS and see if the HDD is getting detected.

System is stable now after that incident. I don't know how. I just changed the sata port. When I faced this problem I used almost all 4 sata ports.
eg now I'm using sata port 1, if problem occurs, then shifted to port 2, if again problem occurs then port 3, then again 4, 4 to 1 to 2 to 3 to 4... almost 100 of times I did that. And after changing sata ports computer start normally no restart, no error (disk boot failure).

Troubleshooting does not show any problem.

Actually using original sata cable, and tried old motherboard's sata cable.

beep sound not come always, only sometimes. I don't think it's not receiving power. See the Image below SMART Test. Some sector problem.

*oi60.tinypic.com/2s8flex.jpg

I tried disconnecting DVD drive earlier, its not working.

I got "disk boot failure" many times, where I can check HDD is connected or not in bios?
By the way, I can see SATA connected when I start computer, on boot screen. But in boot disk failure it might not shown this. I'm not sure about this.
But I will definitely check it next time through BIOS. Tell me how to.

And thanks for reply. Any other solutions?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
‘Disk Boot Failure, install system disk’ could mean system fails to find bootloader. This could be due to bad disk or not detected in first place etc also could be due to bad cables / mobo port etc. You can simulate this error. Disconnect HDD and keep only CDROM boot option in BIOS, don’t insert any bootable CD/DVD and power on.

Hence when this error pops up next time, reboot and look for IDE/SATA Port devices listed in BIOS. This could be under Standard / Basic bios options or under HDD Boot priority menu. Most likely you have a failing HDD. Consider backing up any of your important data first, just in case.

Check if Seagate has any specific tools available on their website for your HDD make/model for disk checking / reporting and try running that too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@OP - the HDD is failing. SO better backup important data, RMA it or get a new HDD.

OP
A

amit.tiger12

@OP - the HDD is failing. SO better backup important data, RMA it or get a new HDD.

how do I get RMA for seagate??? link ??

btw, buying new rig..

thanks for suggestion..

close the thread..

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
is it good usage or bad???
and where you find 9 bad sectors?? please tell me also..

Its extremely good. My 1TB seagate expansion portable has failed twice within a year and 4 months since purchase with more than 80 bad sectors each time.

In the screen shot you posted, the current pending sector count has raw value of 000000000009 that is equal to 9* (16^0) = 9*1 = 9

That should give the bad sector count.

OP
A

amit.tiger12

Its extremely good. My 1TB seagate expansion portable has failed twice within a year and 4 months since purchase with more than 80 bad sectors each time.

In the screen shot you posted, the current pending sector count has raw value of 000000000009 that is equal to 9* (16^0) = 9*1 = 9

That should give the bad sector count.

thanks for info..
you are great..
check, read, write, correct bad sectors...
using Hiren's boot cd.. very useful software..

Top Bottom