Digital camera quick reference buying guide

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION] aren't you buying any new lenses? I loved the discussion we had on this thread about using old lenses on the new cams. Had some crazy psychedelic pictures from someone who's name I've forgotten

sujoyp

Grand Master
i would love to get a new flash first..my flash is not that reliable anymore..its 3 yr old anyways :)
Actually after comming to mumbai most of of my lenses are underutilised ...maybe using 17-50 most...and twice 55-200 for butterfly.
As soon as I am out of mumbai to a better place like pune hyd banglore I will get something accordingly.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]

Excellent work in maintaining this thread. I like that updated date animated gif as a nice touch :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Updated...

Some of the review sites I read have done less than a handful of reviews (fixed lens camera) this year. I don't know whether they don't find interesting about this year's cameras or they too losing business !!!

As everybody know, 2-3yrs back there were 150+ cameras announced a year. But this year not even 50 cameras. Many stopped making basic PnS, even Sony didn't make any this year. Oly and Fuji didn't make any in the last two years, Panny for the namesake made one this year and made one last year. Canon and Nikon are the only companies still making at least handful of basic models every year. Almost one in four cameras are large sensor compacts, almost one in five are bridge. Even the most of the rest packed with lots of zoom. When I was looking for camera 4yrs back, 14-18x were common for travel zoom and 30-35x for bridge. Now its 30x for travel zoom and 50-60x for bridge.

Would they replace the smaller sensor with the bigger one? That would be wonderful...

sujoyp

Grand Master
this happened due to rise in quality of mobiles camera....my sony xperia C5's cam is sufficient enough to replace a P&S without zoom ...so I gave my S90 to dad. Sony is having good business in selling sensors to almost all mobile companies...I see even samsung and apple using sony sensor in some models. Nikon was also using sony sensor.

nac to be frank I find zoom on P&S to degrades the quality a lot..for family pics 3x is sufficient and the advance P&S with 5-7x optical zoom with bigger aperture is what to look for...if I go in market to get a superzoom then I will still consider FZ200 with fixed 2.8 aperture to be more useful then nikon's 80x zoom.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
nac to be frank I find zoom on P&S to degrades the quality a lot..for family pics 3x is sufficient and the advance P&S with 5-7x optical zoom with bigger aperture is what to look for...if I go in market to get a superzoom then I will still consider FZ200 with fixed 2.8 aperture to be more useful then nikon's 80x zoom.
I have been using 28-336mm for a long time. I would find it too limited with basic PnS if it just has 3x zoom. After all there is nothing to play with basic PnS, no manual controls, I don't find it interesting to play with art filters or shooting videos. With little zoom, they can't market the product as already people are relying on mobile cameras. More than good, manufacturers think what's marketable and they see high zoom is the way to go.

To be honest, I really find P900 interesting. If I get to pick one between P900 and FZ200, I would pick P900 for sure.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac you are definitely not considering the light ...FZ200 too have 24x zoom.. I have used my 150-500 in early morning shoots, I can confidently say that if sun is not shining 150-500 is plain useless. I feel the same way for mega zoom like P900 ...
Look all long lenses like 500 f4, 300 f2.8 200-400 f4 are fixed aperture and big aperture lenses. cause these birds and animals are shot mostly in early mornings when light is low. they could have easily reduced the size of lens making it f5.6 lens.

what I mean is if aperture is small, less light will enter and that will bump up the ISO...it will ultimately effect the pic quality which is already compromised at long end

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
May be this 2000mm overshadows the less than two stop advantage FZ200 has over P900 @600mm. Other than tele reach, in every which way we see FZ200 is a good camera. There is no denial in that. But if I given a choice to pick one, I would pick P900. Not that I consider buying any of these two. It's just the trade off one makes. If someone wants full manual control from a sub 10k camera, one (I) have to live with the slow performance/noise and all. :)

About bumping up ISO, even if you give f/1.2 lens to Amlan. He would be shooting @ highest ISO possible with that lens :rofl:

sujoyp

Grand Master
lol then he will shoot in complete darness :D no hard feelings amlan ;)

I am really upset with 150-500 results...I had to bump up the ISO to 800-1000-1600 to keep shutter speed to 1/500-1/1000 and pic quality become bad.
All those wonderful pictures we see online for test or drool purpose are generally taken with full frame DSLR where ISO 1600 dosnt effect a bit of pic quality.

That brings me to a situation where I can either replace my D7000 or sigma 150-500 ...I have not decided yet..just saving for now ;)

lol then he will shoot in complete darness :D no hard feelings amlan ;)

I am really upset with 150-500 results...I had to bump up the ISO to 800-1000-1600 to keep shutter speed to 1/500-1/1000 and pic quality become bad.
All those wonderful pictures we see online for test or drool purpose are generally taken with full frame DSLR where ISO 1600 dosnt effect a bit of pic quality.

That brings me to a situation where I can either replace my D7000 or sigma 150-500 ...I have not decided yet..just saving for now ;)

Come to the dark side...buy A7 series xD. While I'm not against high ISO, it kinda gives that nostalgic "grainy" look, but in most of the cases where telephoto lenses are used, it is not the classy thing people are looking for. Also, I don't understand the reason for such a high shutter speed. I guess anything between 80-200 is good enough for normal photography. Again, I assume that the image stabilization system in Nikon is not that good?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I would love to get a A7 full frame :) nobody in the world would like a grainy bird shot ...the shutter speed is needed...the thumb rule is that focal length = shutter speed and in cropped sensor cam it become
focal length = 1.4x shutter speed
so a 300mm on my D7000 becomes 420mm FOV and need a shutter speed of 1/420 min to get sharp pic . now if you have VR on the lens then maybe 1/200 is also enough to shoot the same pic
VR on nikon is good enough but we just expect too much :D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
So.. my sister in law just got gifted with a Canon EOS Rebel T5i form US which I believe is called 700D in India, with an additional lense. no one has ever used a DSLR before, so its up to me to tell them how to operate it :|

Anyone knows how much it costs with the additional lense?
I think I should start going through *www.digit.in/forum/cameras-camcorders/173677-learn-photography-me.html

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
So.. my sister in law just got gifted with a Canon EOS Rebel T5i form US which I believe is called 700D in India, with an additional lense. no one has ever used a DSLR before, so its up to me to tell them how to operate it :|

Anyone knows how much it costs with the additional lense?
I think I should start going through *www.digit.in/forum/cameras-camcorders/173677-learn-photography-me.html
Yeah, you can go through that thread. And also read manual to know the camera and as Amlan suggested check out digital photography school site.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
:) good that you updated something :D I will post some of my andaman's pics here. Not getting enough time nowdays
:D

You guys went to Andaman? Super. Yeah, do post. Don't remember seeing that part of India much even in photographs.

Top Bottom