Digit Archive now hosted at Codeplex - download now!

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
hey host in sourceforge...i m in linux...how to run it man....i dont have win

is there a linux version?

btw u keep FOSS logo n use M$ technology....wtf :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
downloaded it but as I don't have .net 4 installed I was not able to run it.
Will hunt for it into the months previous digit dvds manually :p and give it a try

OP
vamsi360

vamsi360

Always confused
Always develop for lowest possible configuration your users will be using.
And AFAIK .Net Framework 4.0 doesn't ship even with Windows 7.

Thought the software is cool, I still thinks the platform version choice is poor.

OK. According to your wish I multi targeted to .NET 3.5 and hence no problems with other requirements if you have Windows 7.
Thanks for your suggestion. But I still recommend you to install .NET4 if you don't have .NET 3.5 as the installation file size is less in .NET4.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

hey host in sourceforge...i m in linux...how to run it man....i dont have win

is there a linux version?

btw u keep FOSS logo n use M$ technology....wtf :)

Gopi,

There is no wrong in using a Microsoft Technology for any developer. Futher, many developers would like to use these developer technologies as the tools provided by Microsoft handle most of the dev's tasks.

I open-sourced it meaning that I support FOSS. FOSS doesn't mean to not use opensource software.

I have thought to use Java or Qt to write the app so that it works in linux or mac. But, majority of the archive software list is composed of windows apps. And there is no need to use it in linux. But if required I will make it in my free time and when I feel interested to do so.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
OK. According to your wish I multi targeted to .NET 3.5 and hence no problems with other requirements if you have Windows 7.
Thank you. :)

Thanks for your suggestion. But I still recommend you to install .NET4 if you don't have .NET 3.5 as the installation file size is less in .NET4.
I don't use Windows usually. I tested your software on some other computer. But will keep in mind to install .Net Framework 4 before using it next time. :)

abhishek_del

Journeyman
Hi!

When I have to search for a software say "Adobe Dreamweaver", I need to compulsarily select the dropdown boxes which makes it totally non-user friendly and defeats the purpose specially the dropdown where I have to select the month and year as well. If I know the month and year, I better search that DVD rather than using this software.

I may be wrong, please correct me.

Thanks

OP
vamsi360

vamsi360

Always confused
Hi!

When I have to search for a software say "Adobe Dreamweaver", I need to compulsarily select the dropdown boxes which makes it totally non-user friendly and defeats the purpose specially the dropdown where I have to select the month and year as well. If I know the month and year, I better search that DVD rather than using this software.

I may be wrong, please correct me.

Thanks

The problem is fixed in RC1. Download the new RC1 Build now and post your feedback. The search now works but is case sensitive. So, start with Capital letter. I have added the "All" section also.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

@All

The software is now updated to RC1 - Release Candidate => Build 12

Now the software should be more useful with it's new search and selection capabilities.

Download it now!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ downloaded it - will test on xp sp3 which has don net 3.5 installed

BTW, it would be great if you can change the description a little bit on the website :

Digit Archive easily finds and installs the software you want to from the DIGIT magazine media. Just type your software name or select the month and year of your software and select it to install.

It's that simple. The software is written in C# and runs on top of .NET 4. So be sure to install .NET4 Client profile before installing it. The setup automatically downloads and install it if not already installed. So, no problems on the user's end.

Download it and enjoy!

From the description it looks like it will only run on dot net framework 4 though it supports .net frame work 3.5. as you've said on post no. 23.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
after extracting when I clicked on the setup.exe it prompted me to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 but I choose Don't Accept to test it only on .Net Framework 3.5

As I only have .Net Framework 3.5 installed I clicked on the DigitArchive.application anyway and it prompted me to install the app.
So I installed it on xp xp3.

On the Program Menu it created a sub menu Called Microsoft but I think you should change or remove the creation of sub-menu. It would be great if it can be added in the program menu without any sub menu.

The app is case sensitive - when I searched for the word adobe ( Month and Year January 2009 ) it showed nothing but when I searched for Adobe it showed the search result properly. If possible fix it as most people don't bother to use capital letter while searching.

In Month field February should be below January.
October, November and July is repeated two times.

Still there's no option like all for Media, Month and year selection or I'm missing something ??

It would be great if we can search through all the months, year and discs for a particular keyword. I mean create a "all" selection option for Media, Month and Year Menu as well so a keyword say adobe can be searched for all the months and years across all discs.

All in all you've started a very nice effort for the community - keep it up and thanks a lot for your great effort.

BTW, I will update to dot net framework 3.5 SP1 and 4 for greater compatibility though and test the software again.

abhishek_del

Journeyman
Ya, I second your views.

The main problem with me was that I had to still select the month and the year. From a user perspective, I needed something which catalogs the software wisely like WinPCap or similar software and enables quick searching. the original software archive from digit was great, it had everything. This one should be great if you have the all feature in the month and year part because if I know the month and year, it would take me just two mins to take out that particular DVD and get the app.

I want to appreciate your efforts though. Nice work

OP
vamsi360

vamsi360

Always confused
after extracting when I clicked on the setup.exe it prompted me to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 but I choose Don't Accept to test it only on .Net Framework 3.5

As I only have .Net Framework 3.5 installed I clicked on the DigitArchive.application anyway and it prompted me to install the app.
So I installed it on xp xp3.

On the Program Menu it created a sub menu Called Microsoft but I think you should change or remove the creation of sub-menu. It would be great if it can be added in the program menu without any sub menu.

The app is case sensitive - when I searched for the word adobe ( Month and Year January 2009 ) it showed nothing but when I searched for Adobe it showed the search result properly. If possible fix it as most people don't bother to use capital letter while searching.

In Month field February should be below January.
October, November and July is repeated two times.

Still there's no option like all for Media, Month and year selection or I'm missing something ??

It would be great if we can search through all the months, year and discs for a particular keyword. I mean create a "all" selection option for Media, Month and Year Menu as well so a keyword say adobe can be searched for all the months and years across all discs.

All in all you've started a very nice effort for the community - keep it up and thanks a lot for your great effort.

BTW, I will update to dot net framework 3.5 SP1 and 4 for greater compatibility though and test the software again.

Thanks for your feedback.

The new RC2 build16 is almost the finished version. It has all the annoyances fixed.
The software has to work fine on all systems with .Net 3.5. No SP1 required. It should and will work.
The search is now case-insensitive and the "All" category is added and enhanced.

Finally,
I am glad to inform that the good old digit archive features are all almost there in this build and they work.

I hope you try the new version.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Ya, I second your views.

The main problem with me was that I had to still select the month and the year. From a user perspective, I needed something which catalogs the software wisely like WinPCap or similar software and enables quick searching. the original software archive from digit was great, it had everything. This one should be great if you have the all feature in the month and year part because if I know the month and year, it would take me just two mins to take out that particular DVD and get the app.

I want to appreciate your efforts though. Nice work

The new RC2 build almost mimics the old archive except that my archive has new code written using a better way to use data.

All the features requested are available. Download it!

digitarchive.codeplex.com

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Software update to RC2!

refer:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/developers/127416-digit-archive-now-hosted-codeplex-download-now.html#post1241806

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you have quoted my first post in this page as referral link - fix that :p

Will download and post feedback :p

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whenever I try to install the latest version ie RC2 by executing DigitArchive.application ( normal setup.exe still prompts me to install dot net framework ) it's giving me this error :

*i32.tinypic.com/mws5eg.png

I've uninstalled the previous version before installing this version.

As this version ie RC2 is not installing I've tried installing the previous version which is installing just fine.

OP
vamsi360

vamsi360

Always confused
Whenever I try to install the latest version ie RC2 by executing DigitArchive.application ( normal setup.exe still prompts me to install dot net framework ) it's giving me this error :

*i32.tinypic.com/mws5eg.png

I've uninstalled the previous version before installing this version.

As this version ie RC2 is not installing I've tried installing the previous version which is installing just fine.

dude....the first and foremost thing you need to do is INSTALL .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 and then RUN SETUP MSI file.

Don't launch the .application file and the archive won't work if it doesn't have any .net libraries. The archive works fine if .net 3.5 is present.

Top Bottom