[Complaint] digicare refused to give warranty over actual bill

dead.night7

Journeyman
I bought a msi 790gx-g65 motherboard (manufacturing and import date jan 2010) along with an entire system built myself in (date of purchase november 2010). after a year in december 2011 motherboard was no longer working. I gave it for servicing and thankfully it was replaced by msi and I was given a new 890gx mini atx mobo by msi, and after a series of intervals my new motherboard started showing disgrace to my system. not to mention digicare were absolutely helpful in having my motherboard changed repaired/exchanged whenever. I had probs
I was into the fact that I have a year of warranty now in my hands, but this week when I gave my mobo for service since it had issue, the service center guy told me, the warranty is over as of the manufacturing date. I showed him my purchase bill for the same and he replied, "sir dukan ka bill nahi chalta hai, hum log product serial number delhkar warranty lagate hain. dukan wale ne aapko late becha hai"
then, why do the warranty says from the date of purchase.

as of now I have paid the bills for servicing my motherboard since the shops at lamington roads were shut because of lbt strike. now I had no one to shout my anger at the person from whom I took the system.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
MSI has changed their warranty policy from date of purchase to date of manufacturing.

nginx

In the zone
MSI has changed their warranty policy from date of purchase to date of manufacturing.

Hard drive manufacturers already do this. I think we will see all manufacturers follow this trend increasingly in the future. It's more convenient for them to maintain a database and handle warranties. No need to check and verify purchase date for every single customer which is always a hassle. Also those customers who don't keep purchase receipts will benefit immensely from this.

Usually this system isn't an issue if manufacturer adds atleast 3-4 months to the actual warranty period to account for the loss of time while the product sits in the warehouse or retail outlet shelf. WD and Seagate already do this. MSI should do it too. Unless a customer buys a really outdated product, he won't face any problems with warranty.

@OP, try emailing MSI with a scanned copy of your purchase receipt and ask them to update the warranty with due consideration. If they oblige, then you are in luck.

If MSI changed the warranty policy before after you purchased/received the product, then they shpuld provide you warranty. the new policy should apply for products manufactured after/on the date of change of policy.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
I bought the Byte Bluetooth headset, there also manufacturing date was mentioned in the warranty policy. From now onwards we have to check manufctrng date while buying, like what we did for medicine/food :p

O/T - If we buy from online stores, can we return products if the manufacturing date is too old?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
MSI India has not made any change in terms of warranty period. It is still from the date of invoice. Its already been confirmed with MSI India. From whom whom you are getting these information from, I don't know but this is what MSI India has said recently:
Thanks a lot for raising the concern and we appreciate for the same.
MSI is still very much involved in doing business in India with no issues as far as local product and service availability.
As for the local service is concerned, there is no change at all. We are offering 3 years warranty through our 3rd party service partner Digicare as before.
Yes, there are and will be cases where there is issues & conflicts but those are solved case by case as per the service policy.
So either MSI India doesn't know what they're saying or Digicare doesn't know what they're saying. As far as my experience goes, at times the people working in 3rd party entities like people in service centres/ distris are usually the ones to creates confusion at the expense of the customer especially when they don't read terms and conditions from the company properly, though I maybe wrong.

Can someone please confirm if MSI mentions warranty period on the box/manual? Motherboards and graphic cards.

@dead.night7: Please send me an email to roshanashraf@hardwarebbq.com with the following details:
Your actual name:
Motherboard model:
Motherboard Serial Number:
scan copy of the Bill and service centre's receipt if any:
Address of the Service Centre:
The person who told you about the warranty period and the phone number:
Other series of events:

Hard drive manufacturers already do this.
They don't. The warranty period is still there on the barcode but in certain areas the hard drive gets sold quicker and in some places, it doesn't. They come with +/- few months as a gap so when you buy a hard drive and check the serial number you may see +/- some months. That's why a bill is important, because sometimes the warranty period on serial maybe lesser than it should be in reality. Someone bought a WD Black and that lot had 3 years of warranty and not 5. It was then corrected after the necessary details was sent to WD India, but in the middle of the process the buyer gave that drive and paid 1k more to get a SATA II version of Black drive with 5 years on serial. There have also been times where people bought hard drives in india and got proper bill, but the serial number is registered in some other country. Issue was resolved with no efforts because the buyer had a bill, or else it would have been seen as a grey market item and would take bit longer time to resolve the issue if its a genuine case.

Point is: Bill is a hard copy. That always has more value than the warranty number on the serial.

Edit 1: This part is confirmed from MSI India: The warranty from the date of manufacturing only applies when and if a proper bill is not produced. OP needs to be bit quick on his feet and forward the necessary information if he wishes to resolve this problem.

Last edited:

nginx

In the zone
They don't. The warranty period is still there on the barcode but in certain areas the hard drive gets sold quicker and in some places, it doesn't. They come with +/- few months as a gap so when you buy a hard drive and check the serial number you may see +/- some months. That's why a bill is important, because sometimes the warranty period on serial maybe lesser than it should be in reality. Someone bought a WD Black and that lot had 3 years of warranty and not 5. It was then corrected after the necessary details was sent to WD India, but in the middle of the process the buyer gave that drive and paid 1k more to get a SATA II version of Black drive with 5 years on serial. There have also been times where people bought hard drives in india and got proper bill, but the serial number is registered in some other country. Issue was resolved with no efforts because the buyer had a bill, or else it would have been seen as a grey market item and would take bit longer time to resolve the issue if its a genuine case.

Point is: Bill is a hard copy. That always has more value than the warranty number on the serial.

Did I say anything different? I said hard drive manufacturers consider warranty from the date of manufacture with 3-4 months extra added to compensate for the time spent on distributing, warehousing and shelving. This is the default method and that's why you don't need a bill to claim warranty on HDDs. Of course the process is always flexible. If you request the customer care to update the warranty by showing proof of date of purchase, they will invariably do so. That's why I asked OP to email MSI and ask them to do the same.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
You need to produce bill if the warranty period and location of sale is conflicting, that's the only way to resolve the issue quickly. The bill is the only thing that solves the problem no questions asked. If there is no issue on the serial, you wouldn't need the bill.

MSI knows about this thread and since the OP clearly mentioned that this is what the service centre said after showing the bill, they would wish to intervene to solve the problem once the OP forwards the necessary information.

Top Bottom