Difference in Compressed Disk Image (DAA) & Normal ISO???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hello guys!

I had always been using ISO format to make an image of a disk. Recently I came across a file type called DAA, created by PowerISO. It claimed that it can create images in compressed format, thereby taking less space. Now, what actually is the technology behind it. Does this image type is the same as our normal compressed files (ZIP/RAR). If so, I am sure whenever we mount this kind of an image, it will first be extracted somewhere in a temp folder before we can use it, thereby making it a slow process.

Kindly clearify...

Chao...

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
No. DAA don't need decompressing to a temp folder to read any file. But it's a proprietory format of poweriso and can only be mounted on it's own virtual drive. Also, to write to a medium, you have to decompress to an iso file and then write it.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Arre you sure we have to decompress it before writing it to another medium... Cant we just mount the DAA to a virtual drive and use PowerISO or Nero to directly write it to a medium...

nil_3

In the zone
Nero don't support .DAA format. May be some other virtual drive creating softwares(like Daemon Tools, Virtuadrive etc) can support but I can not say for certain.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
DAA stands for 'Direct Access Archive'.It's an advanced format for an Image file,
which supports compression, password-protection, & splitting to multiple volumes.
It's a proprietary format. Nero doesn't support DAA Image file format!!
Only PowerISO does!!

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
nil_3 said:
Nero don't support .DAA format. May be some other virtual drive creating softwares(like Daemon Tools, Virtuadrive etc) can support but I can not say for certain.
Deamon tools doesn't supports it. Only PowerISO supports it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom