Developers cooling on Windows desktop, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
July 3, 2007 7:05 AM PDT
Developers cooling on Windows desktop, study finds

Posted by Martin LaMonica
Maybe Microsoft's stronghold grip on the desktop is slipping after all.
But instead of the Web stealing away Windows users, as people have predicted for years, it's Linux and handheld devices.
According to an Evans Data study published on Tuesday, software developers are choosing to write applications for Windows deskop PCs less than they used to.
In a survey, Evans Data found that almost 65 percent of software developers are targeting some version of Windows for their applications, as opposed to nearly 75 percent last year. The research group expects the number to drop another 2 percent in the coming year.
The culprit? Linux. Developers are choosing to write applications for Linux desktops in almost 12 percent of cases, which is a 34 percent increase from last year.
"It's clear that a shift away (from) Windows began about two yeas ago, and the data show that this migration is now accelerating. Linux has benefited, but we also see corresponding growth in niche operating systems for non-traditional client devices. The landscape is changing," said Evans Data CEO John Andrews in a statement.
The popular notion among tech industry followers is that a more capable Web browser, able to run sophisticated applications either online or offline, will make the desktop operating system less important, if not irrelevant.
Many companies--even Microsoft--are taking up the idea of building a "Web, or cloud, operating system" for which developers can write online.
Even with more online applications, though, the Evans Data study notes that Windows desktop application development remains steady.
Other findings from its survey are that JavaScript--a language supported in modern browsers--is the most popular scripting language by far, with more than three times the number of users as PHP, Ruby or Python.
Also, virtualization is becoming commonplace, with about 42 percent of developers expecting to use the technology in the next year.
SO?Does OSS got some grip in developer's side too :)
as with projects like mono that allows .net to be used in other platforms too.
A better trend :)
Now i know why MSFT is woeing young developers stuck in the middle to their platform at any cost.(payments,contests,Mvp's etc)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Cool, which applications are those? Desktop Level or Enterprise level ?

Hey, who made .net Prakash? How can u trust an application written in .net :D

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
ur propagating FUD against me in every thread.I never said that .net is bad.now that it can be done with *NIX too,I think you as a loyal M$ follower hates the facts.

Even I believe its upto users to choose windows or alternates.but i used it as an oppurtunity to let many knows how FOSS growing also Linux.that's all.I am having the right to let others know that Linux too is growing.

Nor does am against Windows Vista-but i pointed out one serious problem that OS bundles.so leave me kiddo!I dont have the time to mess with M$ fanboys.please not that-Now I am not into another flamebait.

vaithy

In the zone
gx_saurav said:
Cool, which applications are those? Desktop Level or Enterprise level ?

Hey, who made .net Prakash? How can u trust an application written in .net :D

Why not ?
Linux want to bridge .. not divide the world.. while Linux developers are struggling to port windows applications in Linux, Microsoft is threatening them with patent suit...When I installed windows XP in my machine it never asked me, whether to preserve other OS entires in the BOOtLOADER or it.. it simply overwrite everything.. after installation.. it don't want to recognise any other OS in the other partition except FAT,

but when I installed Linux it always give me the choice and and help me to load the windows entry in the boot loader..Whenever my kids damaged the Windows system either by playing game or some other reasons, I simply boot in to Linux letting it check the windows partition and correct it. then restart into windows...Which will be smooth as ever.. so my kids called the Linux as ,'Windows Mechanic" ..Little they know the rivalry of two OS camps..
In many office Windows System Administrators are having readymade copies of Live Linux cds.. But they wouldn't admit to their Boss....

with regards,
vaithy

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
vaithy said:
While Linux developers are struggling to port windows applications in Linux

Wait wait, How? Maximum number of softwares on Windows is closed source. How are they porting to Linux?

In many office Windows System Administrators are having readymade copies of Live Linux cds.. But they wouldn't admit to their Boss....

Just to add, here in Airtel Tower lucknow, my friend is in the IT department, & he is using a Windows XP live CD made by me to fix the computers as & when needed.

mediator

Technomancer
Maximum number of softwares on Windows is closed source.How are they porting to Linux?
U surely dont expect them to just steal/copy the code of "closed source" and compile it on Linux do u? I hope u know what the FUDdy patent suit of 230+ patents was! Kpaint is a good replacement for windows paint!!

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
praka123 said:
ur propagating FUD against me in every thread.I never said that .net is bad.now that it can be done with *NIX too,I think you as a loyal M$ follower hates the facts.
It can be done on *NIX because Microsoft wanted .NET to be supported on all platforms and that is why Microsoft released C# n .NET MSIL and CLR as an ECMA Standard thus allowing developers access to the whole specification of the .NET architecture so that they can port it on their platform :)

And for your information Microsoft is collaborating with Novell to develop Mono

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator said:
hope u know what the FUDdy patent suit of 230+ patents was! Kpaint is a good replacement for windows paint!!

Thats what I m asking here, how are the the linux developers porting Windows apps on Linux then if the source code is closed?

They are making there own apps, which is a different thing.

Lolz....zeeshan's eye opener will as usual be mislooked by DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM. We all know(ok some of us) that how easy it is to make apps in .net & C# alone runs on 45 platforms out there, now you tell me, could this be done without MS's consent?

MS wants the developers to use there tools, cos this way one app can work everywhere, Windows Mac or Linux. No matter what OS you use, you can always inter operate between OS. Whats so FUDing about this Prakash? Or can't u take the fact that it is MS which is helping Linux grow using Mono.

vaithy

In the zone
gx_saurav said:
MS wants the developers to use there tools, cos this way one app can work everywhere, Windows Mac or Linux. No matter what OS you use, you can always inter operate between OS. Whats so FUDing about this Prakash? Or can't u take the fact that it is MS which is helping Linux grow using Mono.

This is the best joke that I ever read ..!! Hats Off!! Saurav!!

'Linux is Cancer"

'Linux is evil for the society'

Their CEO is spreading the venom at every meeting.. Instead of that foulmouthed Ballmere , You are the best choice for CEO of MS, you may make a good PRO job for MS

with regards,
Vaithy

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
vaithy said:
This is the best joke that I ever read ..!! Hats Off!! Saurav!!

'Linux is Cancer"

'Linux is evil for the society'

Their CEO is spreading the venom at every meeting.. Instead of that foulmouthed Ballmere , You are the best choice for CEO of MS, you may make a good PRO job for MS

with regards,
Vaithy

Would you mind writing something from your own experience instead of becoming prakash 2.0 ( copy pasting what others said)

I can has CEO Yes Microsoft :D

din

Tribal Boy
MS which is helping Linux grow

LOL, I agree with vaithy, it is a joke for sure.

First MS tried to ignore Linux, then they tried to attack and finally they agreed "Linux is a threat".

Regarding C#, sure MS relaesed it just coz of the goodwill or to make it work anywhere ? Hmm ...

Lookin back, remember when MS started on C# ? They tried to avoid JAVA first (just like the linux story), then they tried to take JAVA in their control, making their own Java-Like things (sure, you heared of J++ which MS had to discountinue) by modifying Java. Sun sued MS many times and everytime Sun won.

Finally MS had to give up modifications etc on Java and they tried 'imitating' JAVA by making C#. Yes, that is how C# is relased. You can compare the basic syntax of Java n C#.

For MS (and may be for all big Corp), the first thing is their profit. Helping the linux community may be the last thing for them.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Whatever you guys say. More apps on Linux means better life for users like me.

I dont hate Windows, neither I am a linux fan but seriously speaking for a guy like me, who likes to know how a comp works, linux is the best choice and it has the added feature of security.

I have used WinMe, 2K and XP, and all those tend to go slow in around 6 months, due to virii, adware and disk fragmentation. I used ubuntu 6.06 for around 1 year and it was never slow throughout its life. I used Ext2 then and now I am using XFS (with Zenwalk) which does not even do a "scandisk" if my comp is switched off the wrong way.
I dont know about the latest NTFS version that M$ is using in Vista, but till XP there was chaos and given the fact that my PC is uber old, Disk Defragmentation with MS tool took a lifetime, so did Virus removal and ad-removal tools.
Yes the drivers of "new" h/w are hard to find in Linux, but my PC dates back to 2K2, so in my case, drivers were never a problem:)

I dont have any problem if Linus and Bill keeps on fighting. As long as there is the open source community to take care of users like me, I am well fed. Additional help from the main developers will always be a welcome move.

In a month or two, if everything goes right, I will be buying a new PC. In that too, I will use 2 Lin distros + Win Vista Ultimate :twisted:. Vista for Gaming and Lin distros for knowlege.

Last edited:
OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
at din:you are 100% correct in saying that C# is born of the bad will of MSFT,when Java satisfies perfectly.and fyi,sun GPLed Java :)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
din said:
For MS (and may be for all big Corp), the first thing is their profit. Helping the linux community may be the last thing for them.
and that is the same for ALL Companies , be it MS or Redhat or Novell or anyone .

ALso , even though MS made C# , they submitted it to ECMA for standardization and also the .NET framework's specifications , so that every developer could freely access it and develop for their platform ?

And why wouldn't MS make their own product , look at C# , it is far better than java in terms of performance .

praka123 said:
at din:you are 100% correct in saying that C# is born of the bad will of MSFT,when Java satisfies perfectly.and fyi,sun GPLed Java :)
they had to do it ater seeing the succes of Mono , GTK# and other .NET based platforms .

mediator

Technomancer
ALso , even though MS made C# , they submitted it to ECMA for standardization and also the .NET framework's specifications , so that every developer could freely access it and develop for their platform ?
Ofcors we all have seen how "freely" u can develop ur code using MS-development tools. Even an MVP isn't spared!! May be u have to code and avail it underground??

rocket357

Security freak
gx_saurav said:
Thats what Im asking here, how are the the linux developers porting Windows apps on Linux then if the source code is closed?

They are making there own apps, which is a different thing.

gx makes a good point here. Just because 2 apps provide similar functionality does not make either one a "porting" effort. No matter how much anyone would want to, they couldn't claim that K3b is a port of Nero, or that Konqueror is a port of IE.

No, typically what you find is open source apps being ported to Windows (not the other way around). There are quite a few (the GIMP, GAIM, Wireshark (formerly Ethereal), Apache, etc...to mention a few off the top of my head) with new ones popping up all the time.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
mediator said:
Ofcors we all have seen how "freely" u can develop ur code using MS-development tools. Even an MVP isn't spared!! May be u have to code and avail it underground??
Ahh , there you go without even looking at the real side of the story .

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=519562&postcount=17

That guy was Selling extensions for Visual Studio Express editions . he wasn't even giving it for free .

Also , MS people talked to him on phone and in personal for 2 years before filing the case .

*blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/

now if i go by your way , if i violate the rules of the GPL , then won't the original owner ask me to stop that ?

mediator

Technomancer
That guy was Selling extensions for Visual Studio Express editions . he wasn't even giving it for free .
Selling it or availing it for public use for free! May be u wud like to read an excerpt from the article if u hate reading the stories!!

msdn said:
What complicates this even further is that this isn’t a developer doing this for his or her personal use or experimenting with our product, this is a business trying to sell a product. We tried for close to two years to get Jamie to stop releasing the Express version of TestDriven.NET without success.
How tragic that the people/developers can't share what they created with others using MS-development tools! They r reduced to experimentations and personal use....laughable indeed!!

now if i go by your way , if i violate the rules of the GPL , then won't the original owner ask me to stop that ?
I guess u really shud read the GPL before making me laugh!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator

Maybe you should try reading the Visual Studio EULA. It is not allowed to sale the extension he made. If he would have given it for free, then all this would have never happened.

mediator

Technomancer
Maybe you should try reading the Visual Studio EULA. It is not allowed to sale the extension he made. If he would have given it for free, then all this would have never happened.
Sorry but I'm not interested to be restricted by some rules like those in EULA that I can't release my program or module for free or not free. Every developer has his honour and to have fame in devloper world! He makes his codes, but never copies some one else's, though he may copy the "idea"! May be its u who wud like to read my previous reply slowly n carefully again!!

Do u understand the meaning of "experimentation" and "personal use"? I just pray that MS doesn't treat atleast u like that unfortunate guy....ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom