Developers cooling on Windows desktop, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
mediator said:
Do I have to explain what the "freedom" to code/use means?
can you tell me what "freedom" exactly are you being deprived off in the bolded part ?
Visual Studio EULA said:
10. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. For more information, see www.microsoft.com/licensing/userights. You may not
• work around any technical limitations in the software;
• reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;
• make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;
• publish the software for others to copy;
• rent, lease or lend the software; or
• use the software for commercial software hosting services.
praka123 said:
And even MVPs may pay the price if they mess with it. ;)
i am pointing below link:
Microsoft threatens its (MVP!)Most Valuable Professional
and that is a clear difference for developers reg GPL/OSS licenses with M$ EULA :) and I'd say Openess is the superiority and security of Open Platforms.
:Sigh:
Zeeshan.Quireshi said:
mediator said:
Ofcors we all have seen how "freely" u can develop ur code using MS-development tools. Even an MVP isn't spared!! May be u have to code and avail it underground??
Ahh , there you go without even looking at the real side of the story .

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=519562&postcount=17

That guy was Selling extensions for Visual Studio Express editions . he wasn't even giving it for free .

Also , MS people talked to him on phone and in personal for 2 years before filing the case .

*blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/

now if i go by your way , if i violate the rules of the GPL , then won't the original owner ask me to stop that ?

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
@gx_saurav & @Zeeshan Quireshi

I'm NOT the geek in such licensing & programming. So I'll ask u a very simple question. Plz answer me in a sentence....

Can u feel FREE ( u know what I mean free here ) while developing applications for Windows as Linux / OSS s/w developers feels ???
Don't u want to share ur knowledge??
Don't u want ur applications gonna used without begging to M$ ??

& forgive me if I asked some wrong.... :-(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, I m not a software developers, but rather then giving it for free, I will keep the source code & rights with me, sale the software, & give the interpreter/decoder API to everyone for free.

Now anyone can use my software with there software.

Like if I make a new video format say GXV :)D), i will charge for the encoder but give the decoder for free & make it open source so that anyone can incorporate the decoder in any OS/Platform.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
gx_saurav said:
Well, I m not a software developers, but rather then giving it for free, I will keep the source code & rights with me, sale the software, & give the interpreter/decoder API to everyone for free.

Now anyone can use my software with there software.

Like if I make a new video format say GXV :)D), i will charge for the encoder but give the decoder for free & make it open source so that anyone can incorporate the decoder in any OS/Platform.
So, u r using M$'s tools to develop FREE S/w. U mean this naa ??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Sigh, pinnacle of ignorance.

I never meant Open Source Encoder, i said free & Open source API/SDK for decoder so that anyone can decode my application developed files using there app.

A good example : Windows Media Codecs. Just one codec, & any media player can use it in Windows.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
so,when are u releasing decoder of .gxv(I know it may be some fork of .wma/v) :D
will u GPL(viiral?) it :lol:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
^^ ohh... I meant FREE. Not OSS. ( Sorry I'm NOT geek ) :-(

POST EDITED !!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@ Prakash, I rather prefer DivX, its teh sh!t

@sirish

Yup, free decoder but paid encoder. (Example)

sakumar79

Technomancer
@shirish_nagar: Generally speaking, you can (a) program and license software for free in Windows using C++ (Dev C++ and many other free IDEs are available) or Java or (b) program and license commercial software with your own EULA in any language... The choice is available in Windows...

In the case of Visual Studio, recently MS came up with Express Edition of the package. Personally, it is a boon for people like me (casual programmers) who occasionally want to program with VB/VC++ etc but cannot afford to purchase the VS software... MS even allows you to sell software made with the Express Edition... However, it has a few limitations (lack of support for Macros, add-ons, etc.) For the casual programmer (and for students), this limitation is not so bad, considering the fact that you are getting the package for free...

Regarding the Microsoft Vs the MVP situation, IMHO, I feel MS is on the right side this time... Think about it - a software is provided in a free "light" edition. If someone where to create a piece of code and help convert the "light" edition work as the full edition (either partially or completely), that would be considered a hack. While this is not exactly the same situation, I think that it is along the same lines.

Finally, regarding GPL vs. EULA: it is a personal choice... GPL is a great achievement, and over the last decade or so, it has brought a lot of attention to the alternative to closed-source programs... However, IMHO, there is nothing wrong with closed-source programs... Sure, you dont know what all the program is doing (it could be monitoring your credit card usage or your browsing history for all you know), but for most people, that doesnt sound like a convincing argument... It is more like a paranoid point of view... For all I know (I am not a hardcore programmer, so I may not know that much), a brilliant coder may be able to hide away similar monitoring code in GPL through obscure and complex coding - and it may go undetected for years... There is no point in getting paranoid. If you like a software, use it. If you feel threatened by close-source software, dont use it... Personally, I use Windows XP, and pretty much most of the software I have are free or paid closed-source software though I do use a couple of open source software now and then...

Arun

PS: Just a thought. I am not very familiar with GPL, just vaguely have an idea of the gist... So correct me if I am wrong... Is it okay for someone (say A) to take code written by someone else (say B) under GPL and market it as their own? Would the author B be entitled to sue A if not? Also, GPL3 bans digital rights management, right? What if someone tries to provide his code under GPL, but provides for DRM support?

mediator

Technomancer
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
can you tell me what "freedom" exactly are you being deprived off in the bolded part ?
:Sigh:
Doesn't the grp of 3 musketeers (2 active here) do some planning before they line up to post one by one? On one hand, one of the musketeers comes up showing his inabilty to read the EULA or may be he's having a problem in acknowledging the meaning of the improperly formatted EULA which most of the time is telling what not to do and even giving links....how convenient!! And on other, another musketeers tells me to stop!

eula-scan said:
9. MICROSOFT .NET BENCHMARK TESTING. The software includes one or more components of the .NET Framework 3.0 (".NET Components"). You may conduct internal benchmark testing of those components. You may disclose the results of any benchmark test of those components, provided that you comply with the conditions set forth at *go.microsoft/fwlink/?LinkID=66406.

Foster brings up good points about the inevitable problems that this clause will bring. Microsoft can - and undoubtedly will - change the terms on that web page at any time, thus complicating life for anyone wanting to disclose test results.
And can u please post the contents of that link, its not even opening here giving me error
Code:
Firefox can't find the server at www.go.microsoft.

Its quite laughable on u that now u r quoting only some part of the bolded paras that I quoted. Is it too much for u?

After all such debate, u come and ask the meaning of "freedom"? How cute!...like a child who asks whats "A" after having a crash course of English alphabet!!

No go and read again the whole EULA line by line,word by word, letter by letter with ur eyes wide open. May be u like to work "only" for MS that u forgot whats freedom! And u call urself a programmer!

Lets make it simple for u!

AA.
a. General. One user may install and use copies of the software to design, develop, test and demonstrate your programs. Testing does not include staging on a server in a production environment, such as loading content prior to production use.
Ahem!!

BB.
b. Included Microsoft Programs. These license terms apply to all Microsoft programs included with the software. If the license terms with any of those programs give you other rights that do not expressly conflict with these license terms, you also have those rights.
May be an average developer has to do a Law degree to research and understand the license terms before coding! May be a dual degree will help programmers!

CC.
i. Right to Use and Distribute. The code and text files listed below are “Distributable Code.”
REDIST.TXT Files. You may copy and distribute the object code form of code listed in REDIST.TXT files.
• Sample Code. You may modify, copy, and distribute the source and object code form of code marked as “sample.”
• Microsoft Merge Modules. You may copy and distribute the unmodified output of Microsoft Merge Modules.
• MFCs, ATLs and CRTs. You may modify the source code form of Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFCs), Active Template Libraries (ATLs), and C runtimes (CRTs) to design, develop and test your programs, and copy and distribute the object code form of your modified files under a new name. (...Some relief)
• MDAC. You may copy and distribute the object code form of the MDAC_TYP.EXE file.
• Image Library. You may copy and distribute images and animations in the Image Library as described in the software documentation. You may also modify that content. If you modify the content, it must be for use that is consistent with the permitted use of the unmodified content.
• Third Party Distribution. You may permit distributors of your programs to copy and distribute the Distributable Code as part of those programs.
Read the bolded part! I see, we have to check out whether the code is under the "sample" first!!

DD.
iii. Distribution Restrictions. You may not
• alter any copyright, trademark or patent notice in the Distributable Code;
• use Microsoft’s trademarks in your programs’ names or in a way that suggests your programs come from or are endorsed by Microsoft;
distribute Distributable Code, other than code listed in OTHER-DIST.TXT files, to run on a platform other than the Windows platform; :)shock: :shock:)
• include Distributable Code in malicious, deceptive or unlawful programs; or
modify or distribute the source code of any Distributable Code so that any part of it becomes subject to an Excluded License. An Excluded License is one that requires, as a condition of use, modification or distribution, that
• the code be disclosed or distributed in source code form; or
• others have the right to modify it.

c. Additional Functionality. Microsoft may provide additional functionality for the software. Other license terms and fees may apply.
Great! Can't we give additional functionality to the software? Atleast they cud have been more clear! Do u understand the bolded parts??....MS helping Linux?? :confused: :shock:

EE
4. INTERNET-BASED SERVICES. Microsoft provides Internet-based services with the software. It may change or cancel them at any time.
MS apologises for 'serving malwares'....Internet based service?

FF
a. Consent for Internet-Based Services. The software feature described below connects to Microsoft or service provider computer systems over the Internet. In some cases, you will not receive a separate notice when they connect. You may switch off this feature or not use it. For more information about this feature, see the software documentation. BY USING THIS FEATURE, YOU CONSENT TO THE TRANSMISSION OF THIS INFORMATION. Microsoft does not use the information to identify or contact you.
Pretty good privacy(PGP)? Looks like we have to *learn* how to switch off this "feature" first before we start coding!!

GG
b. Misuse of Internet-based Services. You may not use this service in any way that could harm it or impair anyone else’s use of it. You may not use the service to try to gain unauthorized access to any service, data, account or network by any means.

HH
5. TIME-SENSITIVE SOFTWARE. If the version of the software is a trial version, the software will stop running either ninety days or one hundred eighty days after you install it, depending on the trial version you have. You will receive notice before it stops running. You may not be able to access data used with the software when it stops running.
Have u paid for ur edition? May be its time MS gets more serious with the piracy thing!

II
7. MICROSOFT WINDOWS SOFTWARE. The software contains the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 and Microsoft Data Access Component 2.8 SP1 software. These software are part of Windows. The license terms for Windows apply to your use of the .NET Framework 2.0 and Microsoft Data Access Component software.
:oops:

JJ
8. SQL SERVER BENCHMARK TESTING. You must obtain Microsoft’s prior written approval to disclose to a third party the results of any benchmark test of the SQL Server software that accompanies this software.
Now get some approval too!

KK
9. MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK BENCHMARK TESTING. The software includes the .NET Framework component of the Windows operating systems (“.NET Component”). You may conduct internal benchmark testing of the .NET Component. You may disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET Component, provided that you comply with the following terms: (1) you must disclose all the information necessary for replication of the tests, including complete and accurate details of your benchmark testing methodology, the test scripts/cases, tuning parameters applied, hardware and software platforms tested, the name and version number of any third party testing tool used to conduct the testing, and complete source code for the benchmark suite/harness that is developed by or for you and used to test both the .NET Component and the competing implementation(s); (2) you must disclose the date (s) that you conducted the benchmark tests, along with specific version information for all Microsoft software products tested, including the .NET Component; (3) your benchmark testing was performed using all performance tuning and best practice guidance set forth in the product documentation and/or on Microsoft’s support web sites, and uses the latest updates, patches and fixes available for the .NET Component and the relevant Microsoft operating system; (4) it shall be sufficient if you make the disclosures provided for above at a publicly available location such as a website, so long as every public disclosure of the results of your benchmark test expressly identifies the public site containing all required disclosures; and (5) nothing in this provision shall be deemed to waive any other right that you may have to conduct benchmark testing. The foregoing obligations shall not apply to your disclosure of the results of any customized benchmark test of the .NET Component, whereby such disclosure is made under confidentiality in conjunction with a bid request by a prospective customer, such customer’s application(s) are specifically tested and the results are only disclosed to such specific customer. Notwithstanding any other agreement you may have with Microsoft, if you disclose such benchmark test results, Microsoft shall have the right to disclose the results of benchmark tests it conducts of your products that compete with the .NET Component, provided it complies with the same conditions above.
Are we playing hide n seek?

LL
10. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. For more information, see www.microsoft.com/licensing/userights. You may not
work around any technical limitations in the software;
• reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;
• make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;
use the software for commercial software hosting services.

MM
11. BACKUP COPY. You may make one backup copy of the software. You may use it only to reinstall the software
Now they'll tell us about the number of backups too! Impressive!

NN
18. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. The software is subject to United States export laws and regulations. You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the software. These laws include restrictions on destinations, end users and end use. For additional information, see www.microsoft.com/exporting.

19. SUPPORT SERVICES. Microsoft provides support services for the software as described at *www.support.microsoft.com/com...rnational.aspx.
Links blinks all around!

OO
. United States. If you acquired the software in the United States, Washington state law governs the interpretation of this agreement and applies to claims for breach of it, regardless of conflict of laws principles. The laws of the state where you live govern all other claims, including claims under state consumer protection laws, unfair competition laws, and in tort.

b. Outside the United States. If you acquired the software in any other country, the laws of that country apply.
Better research on US laws and patents too if u decide to move to US!! FUnny!

PP
21. APPLICABLE LAW.

a. United States. If you acquired the software in the United States, Washington state law governs the interpretation of this agreement and applies to claims for breach of it, regardless of conflict of laws principles. The laws of the state where you live govern all other claims, including claims under state consumer protection laws, unfair competition laws, and in tort.

b. Outside the United States. If you acquired the software in any other country, the laws of that country apply.

22. LEGAL EFFECT. This agreement describes certain legal rights. You may have other rights under the laws of your state or country. You may also have rights with respect to the party from whom you acquired the software. This agreement does not change your rights under the laws of your state or country if the laws of your state or country do not permit it to do so.

23. LIMITATION ON AND EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES. YOU CAN RECOVER FROM MICROSOFT AND ITS SUPPLIERS ONLY DIRECT DAMAGES UP TO THE AMOUNT YOU PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE. YOU CANNOT RECOVER ANY OTHER DAMAGES, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL, LOST PROFITS, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES.
This limitation applies to
• anything related to the software, services, content (including code) on third party Internet sites, or third party programs; and
• claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, guarantee or condition, strict liability, negligence, or other tort to the extent permitted by applicable law.

It also applies even if
• repair, replacement or a refund for the software does not fully compensate you for any losses; or
• Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages.

Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. They also may not apply to you because your country may not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential or other damages.

************************************************** ************************************
LIMITED WARRANTY
A. LIMITED WARRANTY. If you follow the instructions, the software will perform substantially as described in the Microsoft materials that you receive in or with the software.

B. TERM OF WARRANTY; WARRANTY RECIPIENT; LENGTH OF ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES. THE LIMITED WARRANTY COVERS THE SOFTWARE FOR ONE YEAR AFTER ACQUIRED BY THE FIRST USER. IF YOU RECEIVE SUPPLEMENTS, UPDATES, OR REPLACEMENT SOFTWARE DURING THAT YEAR, THEY WILL BE COVERED FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WARRANTY OR 30 DAYS, WHICHEVER IS LONGER. If the first user transfers the software, the remainder of the warranty will apply to the recipient.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS LAST ONLY DURING THE TERM OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so these limitations may not apply to you. They also might not apply to you because some countries may not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty, guarantee or condition lasts.

C. EXCLUSIONS FROM WARRANTY. This warranty does not cover problems caused by your acts (or failures to act), the acts of others, or events beyond Microsoft’s reasonable control.
Part of ur law degree!

Now just count how many times they said 'u may not', 'read the documentations', makes 'exceptions', links us to diff 'sites', stresses on the 'consequences' if not adhereing to rulezz or even by mistake etc etc!! So much freedom!

I guess our MS developers can be good lawyers if not good programmers! It seems an innocent developer has to spend most of the time reading EULA, 'links', don't, consequences even before typing a letter in the prestigious Visual studio!!

I hope u know what "brainstorming sessions" mean in "software development process". I guess here we have new meaning of it, where people argue to make sure if all the terms n conditions are met.

Typically software development life cycle model has five stages
1. Requirements and analaysis
2. Design
3. Implementation and unit testing
4. Integration and system testing
5. Operation and maintenance testing

I guess with EULA we have one more "agree terms and conditions"...telling u what not to do mostly!! How laughable!!

@Zeeshan are u ready to code? May be u shud make sure that u comply with "all' the terms and conditions. WE don't want our zeeshan bhai to be doing olympics around the court instead making a career in software firms! May be u shud really consult some lawyers to find even the meaning of simplest word in EULA before going out for the final battle i.e to code "freely" on Visual Studio?

So @zeeshan I hope u still haven't understood the meaning of EULA or the freedom!! U may ask again what freedom is or consult the wiki this time or may be the American children dictionary!

@GX: I'm sorry, but I guess ur fellow musketeer forgot to consult u.....before asking me the meaning of english aplhabet!

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well mediator , i was asking the "freedom" you were lacking specifically in the bolded part quoted , you quoted all other parts except the one for which i asked explanation for :rolleyes:

mediator said:
And can u please post the contents of that link, its not even opening here giving me error
well here it is .
*msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973265.aspx

mediator said:
Read the bolded part! I see, we have to check out whether the code is under the "sample" first!!
well i fur head didn't get it then i can't do anything .

from what i can see is that , you can distribute the "compiled" binaries of Microsoft Components and Merge Modules , Also you can "only" distribute the "compiled" form of code in the samples folder and not the actual code .

So in short it means that Code in the samples folder can ONLY be distributed in compiled(object) form and not the actual code .

mediator said:
Great! Can't we give additional functionality to the software? Atleast they cud have been more clear! Do u understand the bolded parts??....MS helping Linux?? :confused: :shock:
Well , this means that u CANNOT distribute the Components provided along with VIsual Studio under a license that asks it to make the code OS , nor can you distribute the Components(Microsoft ones) so that they work on any other platform .

You can very well make a GPL app with Visual Studio , e.g. Sharpdevelop :cool:

What mediator didn't get is that you can't distribute Microsoft components and code for other platforms and under an OSS license , you can distribute your OWN app under any license you like .

mediator said:
work around any technical limitations in the software;
use the software for commercial software hosting services.
What's so hard to get in that :confused:

let me say it for you ,
1. You cannot word around any technical limitations(blocked features in short)
2.You cannot use it for commercial hosting, they have a different price for commercial hosting(i.e. .NET based hosting).

@Mediator , You obviously don't use visual studio and i suggest you don't use it if you do not want to comply under the VS EULA .

I will use it under the norms of the EULA .

It all boils down to this :
"Use it under the conditions specified or leave it" , no one's forcing you to only use VIsual Studio for development :cool:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
@Zeeshan Quireshi

Bro, why u r NOT accepting that M$ have putted limits on "Developers(?)" ?

Still u have not answered my questions...
shirish_nagar said:
@gx_saurav & @Zeeshan Quireshi

I'm NOT the geek in such licensing & programming. So I'll ask u a very simple question. Plz answer me in a sentence....

Can u feel FREE ( u know what I mean free here ) while developing applications for Windows as Linux / OSS s/w developers feels ???
Don't u want to share ur knowledge??
Don't u want ur applications gonna used without begging to M$ ??

& forgive me if I asked some wrong.... :-(

sakumar79

Technomancer
@shirish - I thought I had answered your questions in my previous post... See *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=546329&postcount=50 - In Windows also, you can develop software and distribute it for free... Even with Visual Studio Express Edition, you can do it...

Arun

rocket357

Security freak
sakumar79 said:
I am not very familiar with GPL, just vaguely have an idea of the gist... So correct me if I am wrong... Is it okay for someone (say A) to take code written by someone else (say B) under GPL and market it as their own? Would the author B be entitled to sue A if not? Also, GPL3 bans digital rights management, right? What if someone tries to provide his code under GPL, but provides for DRM support?

First, GPL code is copyrighted. It's not public domain, so it's NOT ok for someone to take GPL code and market it as their own (unless of course they're the author of said named code!). Please reference this page if you have any doubt:

*gpl-violations.org

Second, the entire point of DRM is to protect "sensitive" content from public disclosure. The GPL is all about public disclosure and "open" licensing. DRM and GPL don't seem to make much sense together, though ever so often a product comes along that defies natural law (for instance, the RSA encryption scheme...the algorithm is open for anyone to use, however, the algorithm is NOT the secret that makes it secure. The public/private key pair is what makes it secure). I've not had the chance to study closed-source encryption algorithms, so if anyone here has, please chime in...

One last thing: the GPL is a bit restrictive when it comes to public disclosure (i.e. the developer is pretty much forced to make the code publicly available). While NOT restrictive towards marketing your code (you can freely distribute or sell it), making the source public does seem to counter attempting to sell it. A better alternative for developers who wish to sell open source material would be the BSD license...I hear it more friendly towards marketing.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
From my Limited knowledge of BSD & GPL License

BSD license : You can have this. And you can do whatever you want.
GPL : You can't have this. You can only do what we tell you.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Now, in the case of someone taking another persons GPL code and marketing/selling it as their own, there will obviously be a lawsuit possibility right? I dont see how it is different from the case of someone misusing a software against its EULA and getting sued over it... I get a feeling that people like praka123 (who I can see is anti-MS based on the posts) are ignoring the obvious and bashing MS just for the sakes of bashing it...

Arun

rocket357

Security freak
gx_saurav said:
From my Limited knowledge of BSD & GPL License

BSD license : You can have this. And you can do whatever you want.
GPL : You can't have this. You can only do what we tell you.
The GPL ensures that it holds from work to derived work. If a developer releases code licensed with the GPL, he intends for it to REMAIN a freely available work. It's intent is to combat people copyrighting the code and *stealing* it from public access. It ensures four basic freedoms:

freedom 0: freedom to run the program for whatever purpose in whatever manner.
freedom 1: freedom to study the source code and modify it.
freedom 2: freedom to distribute copies to help your neighbors.
freedom 3: freedom to publish your modified version of the program.

Basically, the ONLY way you can encounter legal problems with the GPL is by attempting to nullify the GPL (by releasing your modified software without it being GPL'd) or by not releasing source code for your modifications. If this could occur, then the GPL would be a complete waste of time since anyone could drop the GPL copyright on software and then copyright the software under stricter terms.

sakumar79 said:
Now, in the case of someone taking another persons GPL code and marketing/selling it as their own, there will obviously be a lawsuit possibility right?

Indeed. The GPL is a "credit where credit is due" license. You won't get in trouble for redistribution, but you *can* get in trouble (if the author sees it necessary to pursue) if you claim to have written work that you did not write.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Well mediator , i was asking the "freedom" you were lacking specifically in the bolded part quoted , you quoted all other parts except the one for which i asked explanation for
May be ur eyes rn't working properly these day! Neither did I missed the 'technical limitations' part or the "law" or "exceptions" etc etc. It seems u need to study the aplhabet right from the start i.e AA, then BB......u must shed ur bad habit of not reading the bolded part! Do I need to quote the AA alphabet again?

well here it is .
*msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973265.aspx
Yea, I appreciate ur effort! But u missed the point! How come the EULA u showed me is pointing me to the incorrect and erroneous site? Does the little programmer has to make more extra efforts to search now?

from what i can see is that , you can distribute the "compiled" binaries of Microsoft Components and Merge Modules , Also you can "only" distribute the "compiled" form of code in the samples folder and not the actual code .

So in short it means that Code in the samples folder can ONLY be distributed in compiled(object) form and not the actual code .
Damn, all my efforts wasted!:) After teaching u the alphabet, u cud only get such conclusions in ur mind and talk of "only' sample folders?? Techical restrictions, exceptions, unmodified output, not being able to add additional functionality etc. Do u even know the meaning of such things? A programmer really dont wanna work hindered by such limitations, do u?

Well , this means that u CANNOT distribute the Components provided along with VIsual Studio under a license that asks it to make the code OS , nor can you distribute the Components(Microsoft ones) so that they work on any other platform .
When did "adding additional functionality" started meaning as bolded? Really u shud work more on ur comprehension skills first and then may be a law degree before debating further!

What mediator didn't get is that you can't distribute Microsoft components and code for other platforms and under an OSS license , you can distribute your OWN app under any license you like .
What r u...preaching to the crowd? What u didn't get is that we can distribute but with 'restrictions'! Like MS-EULA says abt reading the documentation all the time in between randomly , u shud read my full post again above!!

let me say it for you ,
1. You cannot word around any technical limitations(blocked features in short)
2.You cannot use it for commercial hosting, they have a different price for commercial hosting(i.e. .NET based hosting).
1. Laughable! May be coding under 'technical limitations' is the thing u have done from the start that u r so ignorant of what coding with full freedom means!
2. Different price! And may be different set of restrictions again! It seems there is no such product covered under MS-EULA where there is no such 'restrictions'!

You obviously don't use visual studio and i suggest you don't use it if you do not want to comply under the VS EULA .
Back to the topic of this thread!

It all boils down to this :
"Use it under the conditions specified or leave it" , no one's forcing you to only use VIsual Studio for development
Same old tune! U shudn't whine in between and demoralise me like that!

Now please continue and reply to all the bolded parts/paras in my previous post and tell me what u undertood if u cud!

Status
Not open for further replies.