Dell to be available in retail stores in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugger

Banned
All those who want to buy Dell products in shops can now rejoice

Dell Starts PC Retail Sales in India With Croma Chain
By Chitra Somayaji
March 25 (Bloomberg) -- Dell Inc., the world's second- largest maker of personal computers, plans to sell PCs through retail outlets in India for the first time after forging a partnership with Tata Group's Croma chain of stores.
Dell's laptop and desktop computers will initially be available at some Croma stores in Mumbai next month, the Round Rock, Texas-based company said in an e-mailed statement today.
The agreement builds on Chief Executive Officer Michael Dell's campaign to challenge Hewlett-Packard Co. in stores, abandoning a practice of only taking orders via the phone or Internet. Dell, which plans to generate half its sales overseas by 2009, began selling products through Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in June and has since reached agreements in Japan, Europe and China.
Dell's India revenue jumped 60 percent to $700 million last year, outpacing growth in the U.S., Rajan Anandan, vice president of Dell India, said yesterday. Sales in the country may climb to almost $1 billion in the year ending Feb. 1, helping Asian growth offset the effects of an expected slowdown in the U.S., Steve Felice, the company's Asia president, said in February.
Dell rose 3 cents to $20.59 in Nasdaq Stock Market trading at 9:46 a.m. The shares had fallen 16 percent this year before today.
The company will start selling low-cost models in India starting next month, Anandan said yesterday, without providing details.
Higher salaries in India, the world's second-fastest growing major economy, are boosting PC purchases. Human resources consultant Hewitt Associates Inc. forecast wages in India will rise 15 percent this year, the most worldwide.
The Croma chain of consumer-electronics stores, owned and operated by a division of Tata Sons Ltd., has 17 outlets in six cities, according to its Web site. The Tata Group includes India's largest computer-services provider and the nation's biggest truckmaker.
Dell now also offers its products through Gome Electrical Appliance Holdings Ltd. in China, Carrefour SA in Europe, Bic Camera Inc. in Japan, and Carphone Warehouse Group Plc in the U.K.

Source

PcEnthu

Linux Learner
This will definitely improve DELL's market share in India. We all have witnessed people, even in this forum, hesitant about ordering DELL products online. That would be past, now that DELL stores are here "Seeing is believing" :D

Offtopic: Saw that on techtree today. Thought of posting it, but @slugger posted it b4 me at 12:54 AM :D

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
it was high time Dell started making their products availble in India through the retail stores.

No matter how good a product may be, but Indians still like to touch, feel and finger the product before purchasin it - online customization still wont cut it with an avg India

gopz

In the zone
I agree..but still Dell India is doing awesome sales of late...they can only reach greater heights with this new thing coming up...good luck Dell!

praka123

left this forum longback
a very good news!it is sad that croma stores(tata) are not in smaller cities and state capitals :(

nil1982

Dell, Croma == road tax, local sales tax dept. ????

:confused::confused:

Cromas won't sell directly. You will be able to test and taste them to make a purchase decision. You'll be able to customize and place the order, and the product will be delivered to you within 7 days. So the road tax issue remains the same. BTW we people from West Bengal are bereft of the facility of TATA Croma here. Don't know why TATA don't have a Croma store here. So nothing changes for us.:( :cry:

This is for people in West Bengal only.

dr_jimit

Journeyman
I will go to see tomorrow to CHROMA, " Surat ". if they have placed here.
I would like to see different colors of laptops.
Colors looks awesome on web, but want to see real.

nil1982

I will go to see tomorrow to CHROMA, " Surat ". if they have placed here.
I would like to see different colors of laptops.
Colors looks awesome on web, but want to see real.

As I have read, DELL will be displayed in Croma Mumbai from 1st April (I am not sure if the Croma you are talking about is the same).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom