DELL ST2220L Review

nayanpr77

Broken In
Thanks for response!!

Is it possible for you to upload a pic of the monitor in normal room light conditions? I have worked for Dell and am very inclined to go for that one, as it provides very good quality products. That one pic will really help me decide...

Thanks

nayanpr77

Broken In
Thanks for response!!

Is it possible for you to upload a pic of the monitor in normal room light conditions? I have worked for Dell and am very inclined to go for that one, as it provides very good quality products. That one pic will really help me decide...

Thanks

Jas bro, still waiting for your reply......:neutral:

nayanpr77

Broken In
i am really sorry for late reply. :oops:

what type of pic? just monitor with blank screen? or showing something?

Hi, thanks for reverting back. Not a blank screen, I'm sure they will all look the same!! :wink:

I was hoping you could take a snap with the monitor's brightness and contrast at 50% each, and one with your preferred settings, from a distance of about 4 feet in normal room lighting please?

nayanpr77

Broken In
^
50-50
*img339.imageshack.us/img339/2724/p2080008.jpg

20-50
*img341.imageshack.us/img341/7342/p2080006z.jpg

Hey Jas bro, thank you so much for the pics!

This monitor doesn't look too bad with regards to brightness, at least in these pics... I have made up my mind, its Dell for me n not Samsung....

BTW, people in Mumbai, the price of this monitor on Lamington Rd was Rs. 8000/- last week, much cheaper than LetsBuy price...... and from what I understood, this monitor also seems to be going out of production soon. So people might want to grab it while its available.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayanpr77

Broken In
Thank you so much Jas bro for the review and for the additional pics! I finally got this monitor today and I am SO SO GLAD I chose this one!! Don't know why but today the price was hiked to Rs.8250/-. I guess demand supply funda.

This monitor is a delight to use! Colors are vivid and so lifelike, images are crisp and bright, it's just amazing! Wow!! Whatever I read about dimming and bleeding at the edges was all crap, no issues whatsoever. People who are considering buying this monitor, don't look elsewhere. You just can't go wrong with this one. You may find the price a little higher than 22' monitors of other brands, but trust me, you get what you pay for. This monitor is worth every rupee and more!

Dell finally noticed, listened to customers and is now shipping a DVI cable in the box.

Bro, I did not find any warranty card in the package and it did not seem to be part of the contents. I think the warranty is for 3 years, but without the card how is it supposed to work? Could you share any info on this?

Are regular (non HD) movies like 624x340 res movies supposed to appear pixellated on this monitor? Will getting a full HD graphics card make any difference? (I still use my onboard graphic adapter and HD movies work ok, not very smooth though)

Your help is much appreciated bro!

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you so much Jas bro for the review and for the additional pics! I finally got this monitor today and I am SO SO GLAD I chose this one!! Don't know why but today the price was hiked to Rs.8250/-. I guess demand supply funda.

This monitor is a delight to use! Colors are vivid and so lifelike, images are crisp and bright, it's just amazing! Wow!! Whatever I read about dimming and bleeding at the edges was all crap, no issues whatsoever. People who are considering buying this monitor, don't look elsewhere. You just can't go wrong with this one. You may find the price a little higher than 22' monitors of other brands, but trust me, you get what you pay for. This monitor is worth every rupee and more!

Dell finally noticed, listened to customers and is now shipping a DVI cable in the box.

Bro, I did not find any warranty card in the package and it did not seem to be part of the contents. I think the warranty is for 3 years, but without the card how is it supposed to work? Could you share any info on this?

Are regular (non HD) movies like 624x340 res movies supposed to appear pixellated on this monitor? Will getting a full HD graphics card make any difference? (I still use my onboard graphic adapter and HD movies work ok, not very smooth though)

Your help is much appreciated bro!

nice to hear that buddy.
removed the dvi cable con and added a pro. :))

for warranty you just need to have the bill.

dont use fullscreen for those small resolution i think. and for full hd just get a entry level gpu if you dont game at all.

Nice review indeed.

thanks buddy. :)

nayanpr77

Broken In
Is there any back-light bleeding in your monitor mate?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever. No bleeding or dimming at the edges. I didn't find this monitor too bright to be uncomfortable at all. But that could be because I spend 9 hrs in the office staring at a Dell Ultrasharp monitor, so maybe I got used to it :mrgreen:. But no strain on the eye at all.

Cheers

nice to hear that buddy.
removed the dvi cable con and added a pro. :))

for warranty you just need to have the bill.

dont use fullscreen for those small resolution i think. and for full hd just get a entry level gpu if you don't game at all.

thanks buddy. :)

Thanks for the quick reply! The bill is from a local hardware dealer and not an authorized Dell reseller, is that going to be a problem?

Could you suggest a decent graphic card around 3-4k? Will be mostly for HD movies and some old games like CS Source and Hitman series. I am not into playing the very latest games and on max specs, though I won't mind if that is also possible :lol:.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for the quick reply! The bill is from a local hardware dealer and not an authorized Dell reseller, is that going to be a problem?

Could you suggest a decent graphic card around 3-4k? Will be mostly for HD movies and some old games like CS Source and Hitman series. I am not into playing the very latest games and on max specs, though I won't mind if that is also possible :lol:.

Thanks

you are welcome :)

that bill will do i think. but why not confirm from that shopkeeper only?

whats your rest of configuration including psu?

nayanpr77

Broken In
you are welcome :)

that bill will do i think. but why not confirm from that shopkeeper only?

whats your rest of configuration including psu?

My mistake, I didn't notice that my system was not staying on 1920x1080. It was immediately switching to 1600x900 after changing, hence the bad picture quality for non HD movies :-?. Today it somehow is able to stay on full HD res, huh. Now the non HD movies appear fine (bit hazy, but that's expected)

I would still like to have a decent graphic card. My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e 2.6 GHz
Asus M2N-MX SE Plus
Kingston 1GB DDR2 667 MHz
Onboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE (512MB shared)
PSU Circle CPH693 400W

Do you think adding RAM will do the job or am I better off having a dedicated graphic card?

Thanks

PS: I think I would prefer an ATI over nVidia...

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
@jaz, Hello buddy, I had a query.
I have an ST2220M model.
How is it, and in what sense different from the L one?
Oh and very nice review. Short, simple and effective.
Keep it up.

nayanpr77

Broken In
@jaz, Hello buddy, I had a query.
I have an ST2220M model.
How is it, and in what sense different from the L one?
Oh and very nice review. Short, simple and effective.
Keep it up.

Hey buddy, the M model is the exact same as the L as far as the display resolution and quality goes :). The only difference is that L has an HDMI port, an Audio In and an Audio Out port and M does not. You can attach a sound bar to the L model and use the audio port. Check the pic I took from the Dell website...

*i.imgur.com/69Tlw.jpg

*support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/st222xl/en/ug/GRAPHICS/f_audio.gif

Jas bro, I hope you didn't mind me replying to this one....

Last edited:
Top Bottom