Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
well, i agree with rider, GT650m will always be superior, it is meant to be, but remember, 7730m is the lowest one in the 77xx series and 650m is the highest one in GT6xx series, seeing this naming convention:
GT630m=7730m
GT640m=7750m
GT650m=7770m (i know it ain't is like that, but i am just assuming this according to naming conventions.. :twisted:)..
Actually GT 630M competes with HD 7670M, GT 640M with HD 7730M and GT 650M with HD 7770M. And GT 650M is most powerful card of GT series not 600 series.

On Topic: There is nothing called "class" of a card. gsmarena created that for their own easiness, just like grouping things together. So don't talk like newbies. If a card is powerful, then it is due to its internal architecture, not due to the fact it falls under a "higher group". Plus, directly relating different architecture GPUs by their naming convention is totally wrong.

I know man you don't need to tell me, i just use the word to make him understand simpler. I should better use the word segment next time.

ratul

█████████████████
Bro 650m is not the top card of 6xx series and you shouldn't compare cards based on their naming conventions, it doesn't work like that. 630m is a low end card based on last gen fermi architecture and 7730m is based on current gen gcn architecture. Amd would never release a gcn card to compete with a really low end fermi card, 7730m was made to take on the kepler cards like 640m and 650m.

@sujay, sorry man I will report it from now on.

well i thought it was, as i said GT650m, after that it's GTX series i suppose.. (GTX 660, not GT660)...
ya i know, but i clarified there itself that i know it's not wise to compare them with their namings, did it just for fun.. :oops:

Actually GT 630M competes with HD 7670M, GT 640M with HD 7730M and GT 650M with HD 7770M. And GT 650M is most powerful card of GT series not 600 series.

yup, it is like that, but i wrote the namings just for fun bro, i think i need to be careful next time.. :oops:.

rogue_47

Right off the assembly line
Hello folks!
I precisely need some help with the very issue of this thread.
I'm confused between Turbo 14R and 15R.
I tired looking up the old replies but it appeared that there were quite a few changes in the line up and so the question afresh.

Only one model in 14 and in 15 I'm not considering the i7 model. So confusion lies between
1) 14R i.e. i5-3210M-4GB, Nvidia GT 640M 2GB
2) 15R i.e. i5-3210M-4GB, Radeon 7730M 2GB
3) 15R i.e. i5-3210M-8GB, Radeon 7730M 2 GB, FHD

It would be necessary to mention that I'm unaware of much(or any) technical details and hence I wouldn't know which graphics card to go for. And also if limiting the choice solely based upon graphics is really worth, even if it is for choosing an inch smaller HD display over another handy FHD display. I have a 6 years old compaq without any dedicated graphics. So you guys would certainly know how greatly I've been deprived of games! My preferences are, therefore, based upon following factors.

A) I'm looking forward to play the games that are certainly a few years old but since, I haven't played them yet! to name a few, Assasin's Creed Series, Hitman Bloodmoney, Godfather2, NFS line up post Carbon etc.

B) I spend a lot of time on laptop reading as a part of my work. (the main reason I'm not choosing 17R. Better not to work everyday on a giant screen from a distance of hardly a feet and a half)

C) I am a little into photography as well, I spend quite sometime on PS. But that purpose would be addressed efficiently by both these cards I suppose. Still, a nod from someone who actually knows, would be better!

D) I also spend a lot of time watching movies too... But I do not press for FHD all the time.

E) Since I've adopted myself to play even without finest details thanks to my current laptop, I wouldn't really mind if monster games would not work with best settings available with the machine. I could compromise to play at say around 75% of capacity.

F) Hardly any time left, but should I really wait till Diwali? Any more discounts likely to be offered? :D

Bottomline is, given a choice, I'd prefer gaming over any of the rest!

Also, a few words on difference between 640M and 7730M!

Many thanks in advance!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
NO offence ... Is he here to tell who is "Moron" ? o_O and Didn't got the " truth" thingy :|
What that means is both of you (and potheadninja), both need to mind their language.

If anyone has a problem, use the report button. Doesn't matter who is the first one to insult.

Hello folks!
I precisely need some help with the very issue of this thread.
I'm confused between Turbo 14R and 15R.
I tired looking up the old replies but it appeared that there were quite a few changes in the line up and so the question afresh.

Only one model in 14 and in 15 I'm not considering the i7 model. So confusion lies between
1) 14R i.e. i5-3210M-4GB, Nvidia GT 640M 2GB
2) 15R i.e. i5-3210M-4GB, Radeon 7730M 2GB
3) 15R i.e. i5-3210M-8GB, Radeon 7730M 2 GB, FHD

It would be necessary to mention that I'm unaware of much(or any) technical details and hence I wouldn't know which graphics card to go for. And also if limiting the choice solely based upon graphics is really worth, even if it is for choosing an inch smaller HD display over another handy FHD display. I have a 6 years old compaq without any dedicated graphics. So you guys would certainly know how greatly I've been deprived of games! My preferences are, therefore, based upon following factors.

A) I'm looking forward to play the games that are certainly a few years old but since, I haven't played them yet! to name a few, Assasin's Creed Series, Hitman Bloodmoney, Godfather2, NFS line up post Carbon etc.

B) I spend a lot of time on laptop reading as a part of my work. (the main reason I'm not choosing 17R. Better not to work everyday on a giant screen from a distance of hardly a feet and a half)

C) I am a little into photography as well, I spend quite sometime on PS. But that purpose would be addressed efficiently by both these cards I suppose. Still, a nod from someone who actually knows, would be better!

D) I also spend a lot of time watching movies too... But I do not press for FHD all the time.

E) Since I've adopted myself to play even without finest details thanks to my current laptop, I wouldn't really mind if monster games would not work with best settings available with the machine. I could compromise to play at say around 75% of capacity.

F) Hardly any time left, but should I really wait till Diwali? Any more discounts likely to be offered? :D

Bottomline is, given a choice, I'd prefer gaming over any of the rest!

Also, a few words on difference between 640M and 7730M!

Many thanks in advance!
15R with Full HD screen.

sam142000

Journeyman
I just checked, there are new drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000 and wifi!!
Downloaded from Intel site!!
Installing now!!

Bhambya

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys, how do you people overclock? I can't find the AMD overdrive in graphics settings. Can you tell me the software that you used?

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Hi guys, how do you people overclock? I can't find the AMD overdrive in graphics settings. Can you tell me the software that you used?

Overclocking in laptops might result hazardous. HD 7730M is a great GPU you should satisfy with the performance.But if you still wanna do that there is a software called sapphire trixx which is quite reliable.

potheadninja

Broken In

I have prepared a guide to overclock 7730m, it should be a couple of pages back please refer it. If you are satisfied with the performance of 7730m then I dont see the need to overclock but if you are an enthusiast then go ahead. the procedure is a bit complicated but it works flawlessly, I had to overclock my card to get above 35fps in witcher 2.
@rider, overclocking is hazardous only if you modify the voltage but in laptops voltage is locked so overclocking mobility cards is safer than their desktop counterparts. The worst consequence you might face with overclocking mobility cards is bsod, artefacts and system instability and it happens only if you push your card to the limit.
I assure anyone who wants to overclock 7730m, you won't brick your gpu so go ahead and get most out of your card.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
@rider, overclocking is hazardous only if you modify the voltage but in laptops voltage is locked so overclocking mobility cards is safer than their desktop counterparts. The worst consequence you might face with overclocking mobility cards is bsod, artefacts and system instability and it happens only if you push your card to the limit.
I assure anyone who wants to overclock 7730m, you won't brick your gpu so go ahead and get most out of your card.

I know, right! I said it might be hazardous. Increasing only core and memory clock doesn't boost performance much. I agree it won't get hurt much I see an old dell laptop burnt in overclocking by increasing voltage.. so anything can be happen, it can be bricked. The point is we should satisfy with the performance because greediness of performance never ends.

Last edited:

iamzero

Broken In
^Get 15r with FHD, you won't regret. :)

I am about to buy this one..especially after the update made here by ratul...15% performance boost is great....i had good few talks with rider and well samsung won that argument...but yeah DELL goes out for me. Final questions : 1 year acc. warranty or 2 year..i am buying the FHD version of the laptop with backlight keyboard...I hope this would be an awesome buy and futureproof as well...

Do let me know!

and Yes forgot to ask..are there any new laptops coming this diwali..i was wondering since HP much hyped 650m graphic card series has not been launched yet here in india...would anyone advise to wait (2 weeks max) or go out and buy it...because 65k means a lot to me!

ratul

█████████████████
I am about to buy this one..especially after the update made here by ratul...15% performance boost is great....i had good few talks with rider and well samsung won that argument...but yeah DELL goes out for me. Final questions : 1 year acc. warranty or 2 year..i am buying the FHD version of the laptop with backlight keyboard...I hope this would be an awesome buy and futureproof as well...

Do let me know!

and Yes forgot to ask..are there any new laptops coming this diwali..i was wondering since HP much hyped 650m graphic card series has not been launched yet here in india...would anyone advise to wait (2 weeks max) or go out and buy it...because 65k means a lot to me!

well, even i am surprised that it's end of october and still no news from any other manufacturer to launch new lappies, this is the time for it.. :-?
and for the warranty, i would recommend 2 yrs. accidental cover, as i have seen that most of my friend's lappies started giving problems after 1-1.5yrs only, i.e., only after warranty has ended... One of my friend mobo fried just after the week his warranty ended, poor guy.. :p :oops:

if you are unable to find the guide, check your pm.. :)
the guide uses MSI Afterburner, but remember that new drivers have some conflict with it, thus there is just a black window in the graph area of AfterBurner, so no graph until it's fixed.. :oops:

and guys, new bios version A07 is available now, though i still can't download it, shows an error... (link)

Last edited:

iamzero

Broken In
well, even i am surprised that it's end of october and still no news from any other manufacturer to launch new lappies, this is the time for it.. :-?
and for the warranty, i would recommend 2 yrs. accidental cover, as i have seen that most of my friend's lappies started giving problems after 1-1.5yrs only, i.e., only after warranty has ended... One of my friend mobo fried just after the week his warranty ended, poor guy.. :p :oops:

so what would you suggest...is it worth waiting or go for it...i can adjust the settings to medium as well if u say i can play next year games as well..of course i hope this will go for long run and dell can be reliable with 2 years warranty atleast....and what do you think even if a company launches the pricing would be definitely greater than 70k as per me, what are your views?

how has been your gaming experience on top high end games..do you run them on high settings?

ratul

█████████████████
so what would you suggest...is it worth waiting or go for it...i can adjust the settings to medium as well if u say i can play next year games as well..of course i hope this will go for long run and dell can be reliable with 2 years warranty atleast....and what do you think even if a company launches the pricing would be definitely greater than 70k as per me, what are your views?

how has been your gaming experience on top high end games..do you run them on high settings?

well, highest end games i have are mw3 (everything on extra settings, AA max, FPS 35-45), crysis2 (everything on ultra, fps 25-35), Arkham city (very high dx11, fps 25-35), GTA4 (can't comment as it's poorly optimized, but with high and Icenhancer 2.1, 15-25fps), Skyrim (High settings with HD2K full mod, 30-45fps), NFS Run (Ultra settings, capped @ 30fps), all assassin creed till revelations (max settings, revelations fps 25-40)...

so seeing this, games till next year would definitely run on medium settings, and in 2 yrs, most of the games would be able to run on low-medium settings..
but that's just a prediction, i can go wrong.. :p
and rider is too right, new models have to come in this period..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Do let me know!

Actually, I believe there is no competition b/w Samsung once you know your priorities.

Get 2 yrs acc warranty.

Plus wait and watch game is never gonna end. Grab it IMO.

iamzero

Broken In
well, highest end games i have are mw3 (everything on extra settings, AA max, FPS 35-45), crysis2 (everything on ultra, fps 25-35), Arkham city (very high dx11, fps 25-35), GTA4 (can't comment as it's poorly optimized, but with high and Icenhancer 2.1, 15-25fps), Skyrim (High settings with HD2K full mod, 30-45fps), NFS Run (Ultra settings, capped @ 30fps), all assassin creed till revelations (max settings, revelations fps 25-40)...

so seeing this, games till next year would definitely run on medium settings, and in 2 yrs, most of the games would be able to run on low-medium settings..
but that's just a prediction, i can go wrong.. :p
and rider is too right, new models have to come in this period..

Alright thanks guys for your input..would be ordering on november 4 to a dell distributor directly..

Can't just go for samsung and yeah wait game wont end....!!

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
Alright thanks guys for your input..would be ordering on october 4 to a dell distributor directly..

Can't just go for samsung and yeah wait game wont end....!!

october 4??? :shock:
when, next year??? :p

Top Bottom