Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

abhishekmaha

Broken In
gddr5 is much faster than ddr3...but it is uncommon and costlier...some memory rate is faster...something like 28.8gbps to 64 gbps

Last edited:
OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
gddr5 is much faster than ddr3...but it is uncommon and costlier...

Yes DDR5 is faster, but dell 17R SE comes with core-i5, which makes performance and fps low.
It is not uncommon its mainstream comes with brands like apple and hp too.

Broken In
I too was confused between buying inspiron 17r se and the samsung 550p.Am a huge samsung fan.I own the S2 :cool:. So I started inquiring about it.

1)The reviews that I got from previous samsung owners were bad.samsung laptops perform worse that other brands with same configuration :-(

2)Also through reviews on the web I found that
1)550p had lcd display while 17rse has wled,and from what i have found out led is better.
2)550p is made fully of plastic while 17r had some aluminium which gives it a better premium feel.
3)650m in 550p version is gddr3 which is slower than gddr5 version in 17rse.

3)The most important thing.. service.... Dell provides the best laptop service in India that too @ ur home.In case of samsung I was shocked to hear that there is only one service center in chennai :-( .This I came to know after contacting samsung toll free number..

So finally I went ahead with dell... inspiron 17r se with 3yrs complete cover.I even got 4% discount as I chose 3 yrs complete cover..

Broken In
Yes DDR5 is faster, but dell 17R SE comes with core-i5, which makes performance and fps low.
It is not uncommon its mainstream comes with brands like apple and hp too.

Core i5 in 71r se has the same clock speed as i7 one.. also windows rating rates i7(in samsung and 15r se) as 7.2 and i5 (in 17r se) as 7.1.

So it shouldn't be that much of an issue :)

girishpaiv

Journeyman
I am gonna decide not to extend my 1 yr warranty to 2 years!!!
The dell guy says now complaints are very low with new laps compared to 2 yrs old laps...
and as parts are imported from outside, its more safe..less complaints!!

I will cost min Rs 4900 for me now if i bargain, else costs rs 9800 the rep says as i didn't placed the warranty when i ordered!! :-(

what do you say guys??:-?

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
I am gonna decide not to extend my 1 yr warranty to 2 years!!!
The dell guy says now complaints are very low with new laps compared to 2 yrs old laps...
and as parts are imported from outside, its more safe..less complaints!!

I will cost min Rs 4900 for me now if i bargain, else costs rs 9800 the rep says as i didn't placed the warranty when i ordered!! :-(

what do you say guys??:-?

Dell was the bag of problems arnd hardware errors for last two years, specially last year disaster XPS 15. Good to see they are customizing outside, definitely quality would be better, less probelms. In india they worse the hardware quality.
Upgrade your warranty it is better to keep laptop secure.

girishpaiv

Journeyman
Dell was the bag of problems arnd hardware errors for last two years, specially last year disaster XPS 15. Good to see they are customizing outside, definitely quality would be better, less probelms. In india they worse the hardware quality.
Upgrade your warranty it is better to keep laptop secure.

Are these laps prone to hardware/screen problems??Any chance in new dell laps??:-?
I dont care for keyboard/trackpad complaints , which mostly is the case with laps ..bcos i can buy mouse n kb separately for that!!(bettr than spending 5k )
another 5k is tough for me ... but possible!! :-(:-x

har

In the zone
one thing i want tO ask, whats the difference between GT 650M DRR3 AND GT 650M DDR5? because im going to purchase that samsung lappy, bt it has DRR3 memory :-?

No much difference. You may get 4-5 fps more max. The strange thing is samsung ddr3 scores higher than gddr5 in 3dmark11 but actual gaming performance is around 4fps lower than gddr5. Maybe its because samsung has OC'ed gt650mx ??

Besires even gt650m ddr3 is a beast.

Are these laps prone to hardware/screen problems??Any chance in new dell laps??:-?
I dont care for keyboard/trackpad complaints , which mostly is the case with laps ..bcos i can buy mouse n kb separately for that!!(bettr than spending 5k )

Dells are made in madras factory. So quality maybe low :-? I am not sure. My computer guy here is dead against dell and acer. He's the one who recommended me samsung. Maybe extend by one year ?

New dv6 models are going to launch soon.

Will there be a version within 52k-54k ?

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
1GB/2GB = VRAM (Video RAM) not "memory bandwidth".

Instead, memory width = in terms of bits, 128 bit, 192 bit, etc.

And DDR3 is much slow than DDR5. Without hands on experience you can't say it 7730M will beat 6770M fully. Benchmarks are still not out. DDR5 does matters.

For Rendering Works in MAYA AND MAX , does ddr5 of 6770m matters or 7730m ( ddr3) can do the work ? Please dont suggest firepro or quadro humnn !! ( I was about to buy HP Dv6 6165tx but when i saw Dell SE edition with GT 640m and 7730m , this question arised in my mind )

hp laptops are much better in terms of quality and performance it is 3rd best after macbooks and thinkpads. They don't compromise with hardware quality, wait for the launch. Hp models are with mainstream GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 GPU.

I've heard that MAYA Viewports works very slow in Nvidia Cards and if GT650m will also have the same problem then........... On The other hand Ati cards can run games and Rendering Applications smoothly..Please clarify.... so that i can wait for the upcoming HP laptops with 650m Graphic solution otherwise just go for Dv6 6165tx now.

Acoustichead

Broken In
Nope i played using high performance mode(7730) !!

To confirm I tried playing in power saving mode, heres the Fraps reading for HD 4000 for The Run @ max settings :
Avg: 11.777 ; Min: 8 ; Max: 31 :p :razz:

Its never showing temps for 7730M !!! no idea why!!

har :razz:

:mrgreen: nice ....

@Girish I have the same model as you. Could you find the where you could install your RAM?...Coz I cant find any slot like they show in those YouTube vids...

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Nope i played using high performance mode(7730) !!

To confirm I tried playing in power saving mode, heres the Fraps reading for HD 4000 for The Run @ max settings :
Avg: 11.777 ; Min: 8 ; Max: 31 :p :razz:

Its never showing temps for 7730M !!! no idea why!!

HWmonitor will only show you CPU temp in auto switchable mode, for HD 7730M temperature use GPU-Z.

ratul

█████████████████
woah, i was off somewhere for last 2-3 days, and this forum has got engaged in some serious offtopic war.. :twisted:

i would suggest you to go with the extended warranty if you are planning to use it for a long run... Who knows what failure can occur after a year.. :wink:

I got 3 yrs premium @9k as dell guy told me that it wud cost more if i buy it later.. :cool:

Also, now i really regret the option of 5400rpm HDD's with i7's..
Really, doing any disk intensive task (decompression a 7z file), and computer will crawl like hell, with just 7-8% CPU usage..
So ,for all users who want to feel the power of i7, Always settle for an SSD with an i7, if possible.. :)

And congrats to rider for 1000 posts, he has really helped all us out in dv6 topic as well as this thread.. You really deserve an applause man.. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
There is not much difference if you compare core-i5 inspiron 17R's GT 650M 2GB DDR5 with core-i7 samsung GT 650M 2GB DDR3 and core-i7.
Both GT 650M are on same clock.

DDR3 is much faster than DDR5.

lol ?

For Rendering Works in MAYA AND MAX , does ddr5 of 6770m matters or 7730m ( ddr3) can do the work ? Please dont suggest firepro or quadro humnn !! ( I was about to buy HP Dv6 6165tx but when i saw Dell SE edition with GT 640m and 7730m , this question arised in my mind )

I've heard that MAYA Viewports works very slow in Nvidia Cards and if GT650m will also have the same problem then........... On The other hand Ati cards can run games and Rendering Applications smoothly..Please clarify.... so that i can wait for the upcoming HP laptops with 650m Graphic solution otherwise just go for Dv6 6165tx now.

You're absolutely correct about the slow performance of viewports in nVidia. I'd bet for AMD.

kid A

Right off the assembly line
Awesome.. EDD was 10th July, which was later changed to 13th July.

And.. today noon, the blue dart guy arrived with two boxes :D

Doing Partition now using EaseUS, spared 100GB for OS.

Planning to upload few videos in a day or two, specially for people who are craving for video reviews of HD 7730m.. Will be installing BF3 tonight itself.

Also i will be using LIGHTWAVE 3D, so i can put up its performance after doing some basic rendering as well.

har

In the zone
Its not on samsung site. I asked about it on samsung online chat. They said its readily available but not updated on site yet because its new :|

And please shift discussion to samsung thread. Lets not destroy the purpose of this thread,

Top Bottom