Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

potheadninja

Broken In
Guys I just read a couple of curious things about 12.11 beta driver. This is not just another driver release from amd, this is part of a larger effort to put radeon cards back on top before the holiday season begins in the west and this driver has a cool name! It is called the "never settle" driver so you guys might want to add this to your signature :)
All gcn cards have gotten a huge performance boost as promised by amd, hd7970 has taken back the crown from gtx680 as the most powerful single gpu (gtx690 is still the top dog but it is a dual gpu card), hd7870 is performing on par with much more expensive gtx660ti and our own 7730m has overtaken 640m and has reached very close to 650m. So kudos to amd for releasing such an amazing driver package.

ratul

█████████████████
Guys I just read a couple of curious things about 12.11 beta driver. This is not just another driver release from amd, this is part of a larger effort to put radeon cards back on top before the holiday season begins in the west and this driver has a cool name! It is called the "never settle" driver so you guys might want to add this to your signature :)
All gcn cards have gotten a huge performance boost as promised by amd, hd7970 has taken back the crown from gtx680 as the most powerful single gpu (gtx690 is still the top dog but it is a dual gpu card), hd7870 is performing on par with much more expensive gtx660ti and our own 7730m has overtaken 640m and has reached very close to 650m. So kudos to amd for releasing such an amazing driver package.

yup i read all these things back when 12.11 were released, but you missed one point, even Nvidia released their new drivers 310.33 beta, offering 15% performance gain to the GPU's, though not as effective as AMD's 12.11.. (read here for more info)..
These all things made me think that AMD and nvidia can boost their card's performance at their will, so how much performance are we really getting from our cards??? Can they be pushed further more or not??? :?

finally placed an order for 15R Turbo. i5,8GB,1TB,2GB,FHD for 62,645! as on today, status shows "Manufacturing built complete" from yesterday's "Work in progress". How many days is it likely to take now to ship to Ahmedabad? *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

I appreciate all the help! :)

It all depends on when they ship your product, mine was stuck for 3 days on manufacturing build complete, but as soon as they ship, it could then reach in 2-3 days..

Got a 15R SE yesterday for my brother as a gift. Its a great Value for money machine considering the specs.

The config is i5 3210M , 6Gb, 750gb 7200 rpm, 7730m, 1080p.

Pros:-
1. Super quiet and cool even while gaming. Even running Prime95 pushes the processor to around 70'C only. This is with an ambient temperature of 22'C so that may vary depending on outside temps a little.
2. Enduro for GPU switching is a lot better with the 12.11 beta catalyst driver. Gives a good boost to performance and increased the 3Dmark11 scores from 1700 to 2000 on stock clocks! That puts it above a 640M and near 650M territory.
3. Beautiful 1080p screen with good colors and nice blacks. Definately should get 1080p if you looking at this laptop as the screen is worth the extra cash with good brightness.

Cons:-
1. Heavy and bulky as we are in the era of the ultrabooks.

congrats bro, and yes 12.11 drivers have really increased the performance of these cards..
And the "Cons" you provided is'nt really a con, as this laptop's enlarged size plays a significant role in keeping it cool, as more air is circulated inside the chassis, game on the so called today's ultrabooks, and see the temps soaring 90-100c.. :p

xAlias

Right off the assembly line
congrats bro, and yes 12.11 drivers have really increased the performance of these cards..
And the "Cons" you provided is'nt really a con, as this laptop's enlarged size plays a significant role in keeping it cool, as more air is circulated inside the chassis, game on the so called today's ultrabooks, and see the temps soaring 90-100c.. :p

True that! The idle temps on this are pretty amazing and sticks to around 40'C on idle. A large part of the good cooling can be attributed to the 'bulkiness' of the laptop which creates more space for air movement inside.

Btw, the laptop is capable of playing League of Legends on high and 1080p on the HD4000! Pretty amazing!

The funny thing is that playing LOL on the onboard GPU pushes the CPU temps to around 64-65'C while gaming on the 7730M keeps the CPU temps to around 60'C only! :)

dheemanth10

Broken In
i'm still new here :p
i have 15rSE FHD with i7 ..is it possible to game with extended display ..if yes then how ?? nad how to use amd eyefinity stuff i cant find it in amd graphics control panel

ratul

█████████████████
Amd 12.11 beta6 driver is out.
Earlier one was beta 3.

downloading ryt nw.. :doublethumb:..
btw, earlier it ws beta4, not beta3.. :p

True that! The idle temps on this are pretty amazing and sticks to around 40'C on idle. A large part of the good cooling can be attributed to the 'bulkiness' of the laptop which creates more space for air movement inside.

Btw, the laptop is capable of playing League of Legends on high and 1080p on the HD4000! Pretty amazing!

The funny thing is that playing LOL on the onboard GPU pushes the CPU temps to around 64-65'C while gaming on the 7730M keeps the CPU temps to around 60'C only! :)

well even i experienced this, playing f1 2012 on HD4000 (it ain't supporting laptop graphics. :(), temps rose to 90c. the only game that took CPU to 90c..
i think it's because of the fact that HD4000 is the built-in GPU on CPU die, so temps from GPU directly affects the CPU temps, increasing it to abnormal levels, and 3rd gen proccies are known for their heat due to the die-shrink and powerful GPU..

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Probably buying the 15r turbo tomorrow morning :D
Sad that the FHD version is not in stores. Would have been awesome to buy that one.
Will have to do with the 1366X768 -__-

xAlias

Probably buying the 15r turbo tomorrow morning :D
Sad that the FHD version is not in stores. Would have been awesome to buy that one.
Will have to do with the 1366X768 -__-

Well trust me, if you have the time and budget go for the FHD as it is worth it! You won't regret it. :)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I have the budget. the problem is that buying online is not an option for me. I have searched all retail stores and its not available there. So I have to settle for the poor screen :\

androiderrr

Broken In
Guys i ordered Dell inspiron 15R SE from dell exclusive store in nehru place,delhi on 3rd november.I paid the shopkeeper full amount through cash.He gave me receipt confirming my order.On that very day I also received a acknowledgement email from dell with Internet refernce no with my order details.But after that I havnt received any status from dell or shopkeeper
Online order status also is unable to locate my order when i try to search using IR no and email id.
Is it normal?Does ordering from dell store works in differnt way?Or is there something wrong?
Iam really worried about delay,kindly help
Has anybody purchased laptop in the manner in which i did?

xAlias

I have the budget. the problem is that buying online is not an option for me. I have searched all retail stores and its not available there. So I have to settle for the poor screen :\

That sucks! Nway, its a good laptop and I dont think you would be too disappointed as you can play all the new games at the native resolution with most settings high. :)

sam142000

Journeyman
Anyone playing Medal of Honour Warfighter here?
Its not working after 12.11 update on my laptop. Works only if I force it to run on Intel Graphics.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
@xAlias Well its not really for gaming as I have my desktop for games(signature). Its mostly for vm's, programming,stuff like that, and perhaps some ocassional gaming when I go for a vacation somewhere. Thats the reason for choosing this lappy with the 7730m :p

saaransh9

Journeyman
@xAlias Well its not really for gaming as I have my desktop for games(signature). Its mostly for vm's, programming,stuff like that, and perhaps some ocassional gaming when I go for a vacation somewhere. Thats the reason for choosing this lappy with the 7730m :p

well if u can buy online or by calling them then it will even cost u less n u will get fhd eventhough a good decision n i think fhd model is available at great india place noida i have seen it there last to last week.

n if u buy it from a dell elusive store they too will order it for u online.

dheemanth10

Broken In
Guys i ordered Dell inspiron 15R SE from dell exclusive store in nehru place,delhi on 3rd november.I paid the shopkeeper full amount through cash.He gave me receipt confirming my order.On that very day I also received a acknowledgement email from dell with Internet refernce no with my order details.But after that I havnt received any status from dell or shopkeeper
Online order status also is unable to locate my order when i try to search using IR no and email id.
Is it normal?Does ordering from dell store works in differnt way?Or is there something wrong?

i did the exact same way u did ....try this send a message to the order support ...asking for your order status ..and send your internet reference number and order date along with it .....:razz: ..those ppl actually placed my order after i sent this message

saaransh9

Journeyman
Great to See that Dell again coming back to position with new new AMD drivers..... I am also ordering Dell 15R Turbo with FHD :)

its not just because of new driver but the problems with samsung i m still worried about np550 going 95-100 degrees every now n then.
n dell after sales always roxxx!!!!

saw a new 17r se model worth 66K with i5 fhd screen 6gb ram n a few more things
*www.dell.com/in/p/new-product-deals?3x_page=2&filterCollapsed=false

ratul

█████████████████

yes, i too purchased from DELL Exclusive store, and these all things you mentioned are normal..
It takes time for DELL to update your ref. no. on the website, so it could take 5-6 days before you can see anything on website, i had to lure the shopkeeper on 2nd day itself to give me some no. to track my status, better try to convince the shopkeeper to give you the no.. (can't remember what no. was it.. :()...

Gtb93

In the zone
yes, i too purchased from DELL Exclusive store, and these all things you mentioned are normal..
It takes time for DELL to update your ref. no. on the website, so it could take 5-6 days before you can see anything on website, i had to lure the shopkeeper on 2nd day itself to give me some no. to track my status, better try to convince the shopkeeper to give you the no.. (can't remember what no. was it.. :()...
When buying from an exclusive store, do you get models with FHD and backlit? I haven't seen any FHD models in stores yet.

Also.
For someone gaming-centric, and the regular multitasking, would you guys suggest an i5 8gb or an i7 8gb? I'm looking to use it for ATLEAST 3 years from now, so what would be the best option?

There's a new 17r turbo @66k, again with FHD and DDR5 650M. Any known heating/throttling issues in the 17r?

Regards. :)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Bought the normal screen version of the Dell 15R turbo :D

Have a full HD monitor at home so can live with it :p

Okay do I need to uninstall catalyst control centre before installing catalyst drivers 12.10/11??

BTW which one should I install?
My desktop is running the 12.6 but does that one recognize mobile GPU's?

Top Bottom