Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

ishan1991

Right off the assembly line
But GT 640M have Optimus, PhysX, Verde Drivers, CUDA, 3D Vision, 3DTV Play and FXXA. So isnt the 14r greater value than the 15r.

I am going to use my laptop in hostel(college). I am not really sure if I want a 15" or 14". Can anyone advice which will be better for college ?
for college students, 15"
will bea better choice as it enables a better gaming experience which most college students look for.

ratul

█████████████████
Since AMD updated its drivers in CCC to 13.1, i did update it from AMD's site. After installing, device manager says that both AMD and Intel driver version is 8.892.6.0. and the date of driver shown is August 2012. Why am I not getting the latest drivers, any idea?

try to completely uninstall both intel and amd drivers, and install the latest of both again, that should work i suppose..
i have latest intel drivers and amd 13.1, and here's what my device manager says:
*i.imgur.com/Rkd9c9h.jpg​

can i get the link for 13.1 drivers

download from here: *www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

when u install new 13.1 dont check to install catalyst control center. Just make sure to install the new amd driver. Then see again in device manager. amd doesn't support switchable graphics notebooks. so its best to first install driver frm manufacturer's website and then install only the latest amd driver to update it. Dont install ccc included in 13.1 nor install intel hd driver seperately it will screw switchable graphics.

:?.
well, i never installed DELL's graphics driver on my win8, only installed intel's drivers from intel's site and amd's drivers from amd's site, and have no problem till date in switchable graphics..
And how can you say that AMD drivers will screw switchable graphics??? 13.1 drivers actually improves Enduro rather than screwing it.. :wink:

what all technical hardware information is required?
and where should i check it from?
the model name is dell inspiron 15r 5520
Dell New Inspiron 15R Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com

well, flipkart is not a reliable source for the specs, you have inspiron 15r, so some drivers should be same as in 15r turbo, so lemme give you some links:
Intel GPU: *downloadmirror.intel.com/22374/a08/Win32_152812.zip
AMD GPU: *www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc_whql.exe
Bluetooth: *downloadmirror.intel.com/22422/eng/BT_2.6.1211_s32.exe
Wifi: *downloadmirror.intel.com/22116/eng/Wireless_15.3.1_Ds32.exe
Wifi: *downloadmirror.intel.com/22116/eng/Wireless_15.3.1_s32.exe (download both wifi)

sj2202

Broken In
I really am soooo thankful to god that my S03IN malfunctioned and I got a refund :-D :-D
Just check out this laptop...even better than the Y580!!...I couldn't have asked for more!!!
The most amazing feature is the ultrabay which enables you to add another GPU!! :shock:

Here is the notebookcheck review

Now I am completely convinced that everything happens for the better!! :-D :-D

@Abv
and is Lenovo to be trusted enuf ?
A friend of mine had a terrible experience with them !!!!

@Digitians
Days back i posted a query regarding a laptop purchase.As the Purchase was meant to b from US i zeroed on

Dell 15.6" Laptop 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive + 32GB Solid State Drive I15RSE-1667ALU - Best Buy

this being very much in my budget of 45 k and below.

Now the thing is i searched a bit more ..and found that Dell inspiron 15 R SE with 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM processor and rest config is same ...apart from Fact that the previous one had 32 Gb SSD with it .
Kindly suggest me if its worth going for 900$ deal . (roughly 50k ) ??
I want to use this laptop mostly for gaming .
Graphic Card being the same in both cases .. is it really worth opting for i7 thing ??

@Admins
I posted similar query in Laptop Related Queries thread ... this being equally related to this thread .. i reposted it !

sj2202

Broken In
@Abv
and is Lenovo to be trusted enuf ?
A friend of mine had a terrible experience with them !!!!
Lenovo is a well known brand...and as far as experiences go I know a few people having terrible experiences with HP or even Dell.
I myself had to return my samsung laptop.
Lenovo is also providing Onsite Accidental Damage Protection(2 Years) so I think it is quite safe. :)

tanvir37

Broken In
how to keep the battery wear level low?
My laptop's battery wear levels have risen to 3%.
Should I keep the laptop plugged-in while using(whenever possible)?

sunshine123

Right off the assembly line
try to completely uninstall both intel and amd drivers, and install the latest of both again, that should work i suppose..
i have latest intel drivers and amd 13.1, and here's what my device manager says:

download from here: *www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

well, i never installed DELL's graphics driver on my win8, only installed intel's drivers from intel's site and amd's drivers from amd's site, and have no problem till date in switchable graphics..
And how can you say that AMD drivers will screw switchable graphics??? 13.1 drivers actually improves Enduro rather than screwing it.. :wink:

well, flipkart is not a reliable source for the specs, you have inspiron 15r, so some drivers should be same as in 15r turbo, so lemme give you some links:
AMD GPU: *www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc_whql.exe
Wifi: *downloadmirror.intel.com/22116/eng/Wireless_15.3.1_s32.exe (download both wifi)

Thanks Mate, removed AMD driver and installed the latest version from the link you gave. Now everything works flawlessly...:mrgreen:

Thanks Mate, removed AMD driver and installed the latest version from the link you gave. Now everything works flawlessly...:mrgreen:

@Abv

@Digitians
Days back i posted a query regarding a laptop purchase.As the Purchase was meant to b from US i zeroed on

Dell 15.6" Laptop 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive + 32GB Solid State Drive I15RSE-1667ALU - Best Buy

this being very much in my budget of 45 k and below.

Now the thing is i searched a bit more ..and found that Dell inspiron 15 R SE with 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM processor and rest config is same ...apart from Fact that the previous one had 32 Gb SSD with it .
Kindly suggest me if its worth going for 900$ deal . (roughly 50k ) ??
I want to use this laptop mostly for gaming .
Graphic Card being the same in both cases .. is it really worth opting for i7 thing ??

Plz help me out frnds !!!!!

ratul

█████████████████
I really am soooo thankful to god that my S03IN malfunctioned and I got a refund :-D :-D
Just check out this laptop...even better than the Y580!!...I couldn't have asked for more!!!
The most amazing feature is the ultrabay which enables you to add another GPU!! :shock:

it's really a very good deal, but i am a little concerned about temps, one 650m is enough to overheat any laptop (even MBP reaches 100c while extreme gaming on 650m), adding another not only will cost you ~10k i think, but also it's not still verified what will be the temps with two 650m, even notebookcheck link you gave tells that body becomes quite hot during stress test, that too in cold climates of west countries (where ideal temps for lappy is given as 31c), what will happen in the hot weather here, that'll be a good thing to test.. :p Also, does that ultrabay feature comes with a good cooling system, i doubt it @ this price.. :-?

Plz help me out frnds !!!!!

in gaming, SSD ain't gonna help you in performance increase, main reason for the SSD is to act as a cache for the HDD installed in the syste, to make r/w cycles faster.
Also you can install OS on SSD, which boosts the startup performance and some application launch time, games don't benefit from SSD..
As far as i7 is concerned, not many games currently take benefit from quad core i7 (bf3, skyrim, mp3, crysis3, nfsmw2, far cry3 needs quad core for extra performance boost), but most of the future games to be launched will definitely be benefited from i7, also i7 helps in many tasks like video rendering, 3D designing work etc., so performance gain from i7>>>performance gain from SSD.. (in your case as you'll mostly game on the lappy)..

how to keep the battery wear level low?
My laptop's battery wear levels have risen to 3%.
Should I keep the laptop plugged-in while using(whenever possible)?

well, these batteries do love a higher wear level, so it's a really difficult task to keep them separated.. :p
btw, normal suggestions would be don't game on battery, if you can, remove the battery while gaming, keeping plugged in does no harm to battery (if temps are in control), but it's advisable to not to keep it plugged in for long time, regularly drain the battery to 20-25% and charge it, and follow the calibration guide posted by a fellow member 4-5 pages back every 3-4weeks..

RON28

Cyborg Agent
what all technical hardware information is required?
and where should i check it from?
the model name is dell inspiron 15r 5520
Dell New Inspiron 15R Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com

Download Links for
Intel HD 4000
Intel Turbo boost
AMD catalyst 13.1 for Windows 32bit
Synaptics touchpad 32bit

i need to know more information about your hardware like, WIFI adapter, webcam, etc to provide link for 32bit drivers

sj2202

Broken In
it's really a very good deal, but i am a little concerned about temps, one 650m is enough to overheat any laptop (even MBP reaches 100c while extreme gaming on 650m), adding another not only will cost you ~10k i think, but also it's not still verified what will be the temps with two 650m, even notebookcheck link you gave tells that body becomes quite hot during stress test, that too in cold climates of west countries (where ideal temps for lappy is given as 31c), what will happen in the hot weather here, that'll be a good thing to test.. :p Also, does that ultrabay feature comes with a good cooling system, i doubt it @ this price.. :-?
Temps are not a problem at all...According to notebookcheck,the max temps were(CPU-90,GPU-84)...and that too ""after one hour of stress testing via the tools Furmark and Prime95" in SLI mode...They also said "The IdeaPad Y500 did not heat up quite as badly in "normal" 3D programs. Games can thus be enjoyed without major restrictions."
And as far as temps in India are concerned,a guy in the samsung forum bought the Y500 just recently.
Here is what he said-"Hav 2 agree with the y500..waited almost 3 mnths to get the samsung one.even paid for it but the dealer refunded saying he couldnt get the model.but thankfully the y500 came around,wow its just amazing ! got it for 63k and the best part is its cooling sytem..absolutely brilliant !hardly crosses 75 degrees"
So all ij well.. :p :-D

powerstarprince

In the zone

Well mine's not dell but it's hp. Well i don't know for some reason i'm not able to install intel driver seperately. When i uninstall amd driver from device manager and restart windows 8 automatically installs a stock driver again. Also in my device manager u find the intel driver to be same as the amd one......

ratul

█████████████████
Temps are not a problem at all...According to notebookcheck,the max temps were(CPU-90,GPU-84)...and that too ""after one hour of stress testing via the tools Furmark and Prime95" in SLI mode...They also said "The IdeaPad Y500 did not heat up quite as badly in "normal" 3D programs. Games can thus be enjoyed without major restrictions."
And as far as temps in India are concerned,a guy in the samsung forum bought the Y500 just recently.
Here is what he said-"Hav 2 agree with the y500..waited almost 3 mnths to get the samsung one.even paid for it but the dealer refunded saying he couldnt get the model.but thankfully the y500 came around,wow its just amazing ! got it for 63k and the best part is its cooling sytem..absolutely brilliant !hardly crosses 75 degrees"
So all ij well.. :p :-D

wow if that's the case, then definitely it's the best option now hands down.. :high5:

Well mine's not dell but it's hp. Well i don't know for some reason i'm not able to install intel driver seperately. When i uninstall amd driver from device manager and restart windows 8 automatically installs a stock driver again. Also in my device manager u find the intel driver to be same as the amd one......

do you have any relative of 6165tx???
coz Enduro was introduced in 7xxx series mobile cards only, before which AMD used the concept of switchable graphics, which i think is in your card, that's why you get the same version for both... (or are you doing something wrong with driver installation?? :confused:)
For past 6-7months, every AMD driver release is mostly focussed on increasing the efficiency of Enduro switching of cards..

n3rd

In the zone

All fine, but why are you cross posting it on every single thread?

powerstarprince

In the zone
wow if that's the case, then definitely it's the best option now hands down.. :high5:

do you have any relative of 6165tx???
coz Enduro was introduced in 7xxx series mobile cards only, before which AMD used the concept of switchable graphics, which i think is in your card, that's why you get the same version for both... (or are you doing something wrong with driver installation?? :confused:)
For past 6-7months, every AMD driver release is mostly focussed on increasing the efficiency of Enduro switching of cards..

Dude i have hd 7670m . It's dynamic switchable graphics ... i didn't check my bios if there's option for fixed. and btw i installed win 8 may be that's the case both my intel and amd driver are same? What can i do to get latest drivers coz hp won't update their drivers time to time. Currently i installed their latest which is from catalyst 12.8

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But GT 640M have Optimus, PhysX, Verde Drivers, CUDA, 3D Vision, 3DTV Play and FXXA. So isnt the 14r greater value than the 15r.

I am going to use my laptop in hostel(college). I am not really sure if I want a 15" or 14". Can anyone advice which will be better for college ?
HD 7730M has HD3D, much much faster compute with OpenCL - nVidia Kepler isn't even close to GCN whether it uses CUDA or not, FXAA, Enduro and it runs most games faster than GT 640M. Plus it handles 3ds Max Viewports 10x faster than a competing nVidia card last time I checked. Overall, HD 7730M is the faster and the better card. So isnt the 15r greater value than the 14r.

Dude i have hd 7670m . It's dynamic switchable graphics ... i didn't check my bios if there's option for fixed. and btw i installed win 8 may be that's the case both my intel and amd driver are same? What can i do to get latest drivers coz hp won't update their drivers time to time. Currently i installed their latest which is from catalyst 12.8
Download and install Catalyst 13.1 from here - Leshcat

Install Intel HD Graphics "Modern" when it asks.

darkslayer

Broken In
thanks a ton guys for providing 32 bit drivers
i got few of them here and rest i could find considering the ones given here
i'm really grateful n gratified.

as i mentioned earlier, i've bought dell inspiron 15r 5520, i've been using it for a week now, still it doesnt show me correct battery back up time, it gives me random readings. at time it says 2hr 50 min, and 3hr 20 min n 4hr 07 mins.
do i need to worry at this?

ratul

█████████████████
thanks a ton guys for providing 32 bit drivers
i got few of them here and rest i could find considering the ones given here
i'm really grateful n gratified.

as i mentioned earlier, i've bought dell inspiron 15r 5520, i've been using it for a week now, still it doesnt show me correct battery back up time, it gives me random readings. at time it says 2hr 50 min, and 3hr 20 min n 4hr 07 mins.
do i need to worry at this?

no need to worry, i think you are using the default windows battery meter, it itself or any other battery app can't show you exact remaining time, they all just calculate the time acc to your usage and previous discharge cycles, so they tend to follow a statistical calculation method, which can't give you accurate timings, so don't worry about it..

sj2202

Broken In
All fine, but why are you cross posting it on every single thread?

I just posted it in this thread and the samsung one because currently they are the 2 laptops every gamer is going for and is confused between(I was one of them too).So if a person has a budget close to 65k then he also has another choice.

darkslayer

Broken In
no need to worry, i think you are using the default windows battery meter, it itself or any other battery app can't show you exact remaining time, they all just calculate the time acc to your usage and previous discharge cycles, so they tend to follow a statistical calculation method, which can't give you accurate timings, so don't worry about it..

thanks alot ratul!!

Top Bottom