Decent upgrade for a Geforce 7 series card ?

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Get the Phenom II X4 840, a 880-based mobo, and 2 or 4 gb RAM. Enough for gaming at your resolution. I have played Crysis, Half-Life 2 etc. on a similar setup. At 13x7 resolution, in low to medium settings, gameplay is fluid. So just get this setup now. If you ever want to game at higher settings, you can easily put a mid-range graphics card later. ;)

Is this gameplay for Crysis 2 ?!
Just like I've said above to Guru, will this setup hold good for the next 3 yrs without a GPU ? If so.. i'm the luckiest person ;)

Please confirm your maximum stretchable budget. 10k?

If given a good reason.. I might stretch.. but it all depends on its worth.. request you to shoot out the options for both the stretched / unstretched budget for me to decide...

Also, hope you have seen my edit to the above post..

This GPU should not dis-appoint me for next 3-4 yrs atleast !! & the CPU/mobo combination should not dis-appoint me 4 yrs later when I choose to upgrade my GPU ... (Just like how my Athlon 64 3000+ CPU & Asus A8N VM CSM mobo are forcing me to change them jus cuz I need a graphic upgrade !!)

Also, I think stretching the budget might work if I get a good price for these old components that I can actually give-off to the dealer as a buyback?

- AMD 64 3000+ CPU
- Asus A8N VM/CSM mobo
- 1GB + 512MB ddr RAM modules

Additionally, I have my 2006 system too in the store room that I just happened to check !

- ATHLON XP 2400+ CPU
- ASUS A7N266 VM/SE mobo
- Iball cabinet (the carry case /w power button on top style one) /w 300W PSU
- An additional Xtech 400w PSU (stored when I upgraded to the Zebronics 500W)

Would all these components help me save atleast 5-6k ? (hope i'm not greedy here !)

I have not added to the above give away list my current XFX Geforce 7600GS 256MB PCI-E card (might use it sometime later) , My current cabinet & the 500w 22A @ +12V rail Zebronics platinum PSU (As I believe I can use these for the new PC as well)

saswat23

Human Spambot
Just sell off your old rig and the other parts. You might get around 4-5k for all these. So, use this 4-5k + your 10k and go for this:
* CPU: AthlonII X4 640 -- 4k
* MoBo: GA-880GM-UD2H -- 4.2k
* RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR3 RAM -- 1k
* PSU: FSP SAGAII 400W -- 1.8k
Total --- 11k
+
* GPU: Sapphire HD5670 512MB DDR5 -- 4.2k
Grand Total --- 15.2k

This card will allow yout to game almost all games at max. resolution on your monitor. You can also spend 0.8k extra and go for PhenomII X4 840 at 4.8k.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/144149-quick-question-gpu-upgrade-worthy.html

Already you started this :$

Try to keep questions in 1 thread.

Also even with gfx to satisfy you for next 3-4 yrs? If you gonna watch Movies and Internet then Yes it will. ANd for Gaming a BIG NO.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/144149-quick-question-gpu-upgrade-worthy.html

Already you started this :$

Try to keep questions in 1 thread.

Also even with gfx to satisfy you for next 3-4 yrs? If you gonna watch Movies and Internet then Yes it will. ANd for Gaming a BIG NO.

Not exactly NO, depends on at what level of gaming you are satisfied. Graphics is just one part of gaming.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Ok He can exclude Dave & Solitaire. But what about everything else :D

Jokes apart but if his Satisfaction = 800 x 600 and LOW/Med Setts then maybe. Gfx is part of it but its a major part.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Just sell off your old rig and the other parts. You might get around 4-5k for all these. So, use this 4-5k + your 10k and go for this:
* CPU: AthlonII X4 640 -- 4k
* MoBo: GA-880GM-UD2H -- 4.2k
* RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR3 RAM -- 1k
* PSU: FSP SAGAII 400W -- 1.8k
Total --- 11k
+
* GPU: Sapphire HD5670 512MB DDR5 -- 4.2k
Grand Total --- 15.2k

This card will allow yout to game almost all games at max. resolution on your monitor. You can also spend 0.8k extra and go for PhenomII X4 840 at 4.8k.

You got a handful of config's up your sleeve I guess !

Why not we settle down for a lower cost mobo and invest the additional money on a better GPU ? As I see that the 5670 hardly lives up to even the GTX 250
GeForce GTS 250 512MB vs Radeon HD 5670 – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

The max. resolution that you say I can get /w the 5670 is the max. resolution of my monitor or the max. of the game itself ?

Also, what is amp rating on 12v rail for the saga II psu ? I tried searching but could not find it anywhere..

Somehow I'm confused about the mobo's now.. What would I be sacrificing by choosing a lower cost mobo apart from a better onboard graphics ?

@ Skud & Tech_Wiz,

As said earlier, my current zebronics PSU has an additional PCI E power cable.. Will that not hold good in anyway ? cuz.. that way i can save that 2 k to invest on a better GPU ! ;)

@ skud..

by this time, you should be aware of the level of gaming that i'm looking at.. so will the zebronics hold good ?

What surprises me is that.. I have been running the Geforce 7600 GS GPU previously on a xtech 400w PSU that supplied just 14A on the 12V rail !

Crysis is not recommended on any IGP. For Graphics card tell me budget first.

PSU will depend on what GFX you choose. With a low GFX I guess it might just work but its highly recommended to get a CX400 or FS Saga for 2-2.5k

Sorry on the other thread.. thot one was for the upgrade config & the other for the PSU..

Coming to your question, budget for the GPU around 7k I would say ? Again, logic is if we are able to save on the mobo cost by opting a lower cost model (since im anyways installing a separate gpu) .. then the 7k can be stretched !

I believe all the GPU around the 7 - 10 k slot are all entry level & should go well with my present PSU ?

ajai5777

Youngling
I dont know what your point is.Your resolution is just 1024 x 768 and you dont need more than a 5670.Its pretty good up to 1600 x 900.You need better cards only if you plan to game on higher resolutions.

For recent games you just need

An Athlon quad or tri
average mobo
2GB ddr3
5670/6670

you can get this in 10-11 k

Also the 500W zeb platinum is good for this config even with 5670.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Why not we settle down for a lower cost mobo and invest the additional money on a better GPU ? As I see that the 5670 hardly lives up to even the GTX 250
GeForce GTS 250 512MB vs Radeon HD 5670 – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

The max. resolution that you say I can get /w the 5670 is the max. resolution of my monitor or the max. of the game itself ?
GTS 250 is a previous gen card. No point in going for it. Although yes, it is much faster than HD 5670.

4.5k - best cards are HD 5670 and HD 6570. Both perform similar to each other and are priced same.

5.7k - HD 6670. Performs almost compared to GTS 450 (6.5k) and consumes much less power.

7.4k - HD 5770 or HD 6770. These are perhaps the most popular DirectX 11 cards.

10k - GTX 460 1GB or HD 6850 1GB. HD 6850 is 5-10% faster. Both of these cards are overkill for your resolution unless you plan buying a LCD monitor in future.

The only nVidia cards worth buying are GTX 560 Ti and GTX 580. I guess everyone will agree on this.

And you need to revamp everything including the PSU. It'd be better if you create a fresh new thread in the PC Configuration section after filling the sticky template thread.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Let me come to the GPU later..

With regards to a mobo, I contemplate between the Asus M4N68T-M & M4A78LT-M. Can you help me decide ?

For the Asus M4N68T-M, I see 4 different version listed by the manufacturer... can u tell me wat the differences would be ?!

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Also, a little bit more research.., .. Asus M4A78LT-M .. specs look to be more superior like 4 ram slots, support upto upto 16GB ram, 2 PCI slots , dvi/hdmi port too, (although yes I wont use them) and 6 audio jacks .. (why would I need these?)

Again, this model has 3 different variations

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

and I guess the generic M4A78LT-M is the most superior among the lot..?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
If the OP will play at 1024 x 768, he can just put a mid-sized card on the current rig. No matter what CPU/GPU combination you use at this resolution, the CPU will be the controlling factor.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
unless you plan buying a LCD monitor in future.

Yes, I will definitely go for a 19" LCD in the near future.
1024 x 678 is just the max resolution that I know of :p as of now with the Geforce 7600GS! If new CPU is going to push the limits, why would I not want to play games @ a higher resolution !

Top Bottom