Death penalty for Delhi gangrape culprits.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Death sentence has been awarded to 4 of the Delhi gangrape culprits, no news of the fifth "juvenile" culprit.

Earlier on Wednesday, a fast-track court in Delhi reserved the order on sentencing the four convicted in the gangrape case till today.

During the arguments on Wednesday, death penalty was sought by the prosecution for the four men who were convicted for the gangrape and murder of the physiotherapy intern here.

The four convicted in the case are: Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur and Mukesh.

Additional Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan sought death penalty for the attackers, saying they only deserve "death sentence" for the brutal crime.

Defence counsel, however, vehemently opposed the death penalty, saying "the factors outside the court room have effected the trial of the case".

The court Tuesday while convicting the four men, called the crime "premeditated" and "brutal".

It convicted the four men for gang raping the 23-year-old woman, inflicting grave injuries on her, and leaving her to die by a roadside on a cold Dec 16, 2012, night in an abhorring case that jolted the nation and made global headlines.

Additional Session Judge Yogesh Tuesday said the injuries on the victim, including "18 injuries" to her internal organs, inflicted by the accused were "dangerous" and "sufficient...to cause death".

The court said the convicts' act of inserting a rod into the body of the victim was done "intentionally" to kill her.

The gangrape occurred after the woman and her male companion boarded the bus in Munirka in south Delhi to return home after watching a movie.

The six attackers in the bus threw both the woman and her male companion out of the vehicle -- without clothes -- on the street in the cold December night after committing the crime, police said.

The woman died of her injuries Dec 29 at Singapore's Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

One of the six accused was found dead in a cell in Delhi's Tihar Jail while a juvenile involved in the crime was Aug 31 sent by the Juvenile Justice Board to a reform home for three years.

The incident sparked nationwide protests and nudged the central government into enacting a stringent anti-rape law.

Source : Delhi gangrape: Convicts awarded death sentence

Though I don't think rapists will be deterred from this judgement, I think they will become more cautious in committing such crimes. But nevertheless a step in the right direction IMHO. Moral of the story : Crime does not pay.

Flash

Lost in speed
Though death penality is worst and many are against it, these damn culprits deserve it without any mercy.
At last, her soul will rest in peace.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'm not against for death penalty for such cases. Peoples won't fear law until these guys starts getting death sentence.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Death sentence has been awarded to 4 of the Delhi gangrape culprits, no news of the fifth "juvenile" culprit.
Source : Delhi gangrape: Convicts awarded death sentence

Though I don't think rapists will be deterred from this judgement, I think they will become more cautious in committing such crimes. But nevertheless a step in the right direction IMHO. Moral of the story : Crime does not pay.

At last some justice is served and about the 5th culprit justice is not yet served. 5th culprit is the most brutal it seems as reported to the Police by the victim in her affidavit.

When the 5th culprit also gets the death sentence then I think "HER SOUL WILL REST IN PEACE".

Piyush

Lanaya
"Phaansi" is an easy death. There should have been a "better" way to kill them, publicly, to set an example.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
the name of the juvenile is not disclosed?

he deserves the same punishment

but I'm happy about the result the whole country is happy

sujoyp

Grand Master
I hope the case of juvenile will reopen again after 3 years and he gets a death punishment as well ....its just a step on the right direction...and I wish every rapist gets punishment and not just one of those.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Defence counsel A P Singh said he will move high court only "if no other rape takes place in next two months after this verdict".

"If the country wanted this case to be a deterrent, I will wait for two months to see the crime scene. If no rape takes place due to death being given in the instant case, I will give in writing that my clients be hanged," he said.

Delhi gang rape, Delhi gang rape case, Delhi gang rape verdict, Nirbhyaya case, Times of India

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
I hope the case of juvenile will reopen again after 3 years and he gets a death punishment as well ....its just a step on the right direction...and I wish every rapist gets punishment and not just one of those.

Not too sure about it..Nothing can be done unless the juvenile laws are amended.

Top Bottom