DDR2 RAM Query

warrior047

In the zone
Guys,

My old system has got the below on ASUS M2N VM DVI Mobo.

2 GB Transcend DDR2 Regular UDIMM - PC2-6400 (400 MHz) - (1 GB RAM X2)

Its 1GB RAM each. Guess I have another 2 slots open.

Want to expand my RAM. Can I buy the below and add the same? Should another 2 GB suffice or is it fine if I add only 1 GB another? If so, am asking if its stable with 3GB (3 1GB RAM) when compared to (2 1GB RAM+1 2GB RAM)

Whats the best model available currently at the best price please

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your mobo supports 8gb dual channel ddr2 800. You can add a 2gb stick for a total of 4gb RAM. Ensure the timings of your modules match the newer ones.`

saswat23

Human Spambot
Add a single 2GB DDR2 stick. It will cost around 1.3k.
If possible sell the two 1GB sticks and get another 2GB stick i.e you will have 2*2GB sticks so that both will run in dual channel.
This is the cheapest one available at flipkart: Flipkart: Transcend DDR2 2 GB PC RAM (JM800QLU-2G): Ram but locally it will be cheaper IMO.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
adding 2Gb more ram ie Total 4GB ram is recommended and make sure you install win 7 x64 after this to utilize all these 4GB ram properly.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ even 32 bit OS can support more than 4GB ram but where did I say that win 7 x64 can only support 4GB ram ? and other 64 bit OSes don't ?

I've just told OP to install win 7 x64 - Xp x64 and Vista x64 ain't much stable and has lots of issues so if Op is a windows OS user the best option for him is to install win 7 x64 after upgrading to 4GB ram.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
thanks a lot all...i prefer not to sell the 1 GB sticks (Qty 2) for am getting v.low price...
am thinking of buying another same PC2-6400 (400 MHz) 2 GB as suggested...but that be

2+1+1

is this fine friends? also shall go for Win 7 x86?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ That's just fine ( provided every ram module has matching timings/latency ) and stick to win 7 x64 as win 7 x86 will use only 3.25/3.5GB ram at max.

Top Bottom