DDR2 RAM advice...

warrior047

In the zone
Guys,

My old system has got the below on ASUS M2N VM DVI Mobo.

2 GB Transcend DDR2 Regular UDIMM - PC2-6400 (400 MHz) - (1 GB RAM X2)

Its 1GB RAM each. Guess I have another 2 slots open.

Want to expand my RAM. Can I buy the below and add the same?

Would like to buy the below:

Transcend DDR2 2 GB PC RAM (JM800QLU-2G): Flipkart.com

Does this match with mine? also will (1GBX2)+(2GBX1) cause no issues?

The thing is my system is giving me hell lot of issues with performance. graphics card was getting over heated GT 8600. Hence when checked its motor failed and so removed it...still, my system giving v.slow performance.

HDD health seems to be good though...hence thinkin of updatin RAM

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
First You test in shop where u want to buy. it is not possible to say, it does match or not !!! best first test and buy. !!! good luck. !!!:-o

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
2x1GB+1x2GB ram should work without any issue but the only catch is their timing/latency and speed should match each other.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
2x1GB+1x2GB ram should work without any issue but the only catch is their timing/latency and speed should match each other.

Am nt in frnt of it as of nw as am in other city...but i do have its screen data from hw monitor..pls suggest

Attachments

• Home_PC.jpg
    Home_PC.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 101
OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
Thanks for the suggestions...bought the same.

but have a dumb question thgh...why is it that the width of RAM is highly low when compared to the prev DDR2 RAM?
Its hardly 2cm in width where as the ones I have currently for DDR2 was around 3cm or more than that...am confused if I got the rgt one...spec wise I think its the one

is it just that all the latest manufactured ones come this way?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you mounted the new ram module and it's working fine ?? - then you have got the right piece of hardware. anyway, it would be better if you can post a photo by placing tow mem modules side by side on a table.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
you mounted the new ram module and it's working fine ?? - then you have got the right piece of hardware. anyway, it would be better if you can post a photo by placing tow mem modules side by side on a table.

this seems to be the one I have...cant provide the actual one as I am at other place...

*www.mobilizer.com.ua/media/catalog...19eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/j/m/jmdimm_16.jpg

The one I got as per the specs is like this...thinner

*www.logicsupply.eu/media/catalog/p...34d14e429e5f7f108123/2/5/256mlq64v8u_pic1.jpg

Please let me knw

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
different physical dimension ( pcb size ), chip position and number of chips on DDR2 ram modules - well, it's completely possible and is upto the manufacturers and some particular models.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
different physical dimension ( pcb size ), chip position and number of chips on DDR2 ram modules - well, it's completely possible and is upto the manufacturers and some particular models.

Does it mean it still mgt fit as its the same spec almost?

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
the DDR2 ram module should fit perfectly without any issue.

Yes indeed...thanks a lot...currently its 2+1 RAM (The other 1 GB RAM gave sme issue)

But there is lot of instability in the system...than before...it works some times smooth but then it stucks!
Only after 2 min, its normal...is it to do with the RAM structure i have?

should i remove the 1 GB RAM? its JM800QLJ-1G....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
post the SPD info of both 2GB and 1GB module - use cpu-z SPD tab screenshot.

anyway, I did not get what you meant by after 2 mins it's normal ? and games and other resource hungry apps working Ok or not ? Did you get any BSOD or some sort of startup issue ?

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
post the SPD info of both 2GB and 1GB module - use cpu-z SPD tab screenshot.

anyway, I did not get what you meant by after 2 mins it's normal ? and games and other resource hungry apps working Ok or not ? Did you get any BSOD or some sort of startup issue ?

Sry for confusion. There was no such startup issues...

I meant - with 2+1 RAM, the performance was horrible. It took more than normal time to get first beep and then it logged in. The system was getting stuck even more than before.
Every 2 min and 1 min, system becomes as if it was struggling to move forward...specially if am surfing...browser takes ages to load and becomes unresponsive...this the case even with normal operations...

Actually there was such an issue even before...when I had 1+1 RAM which was same or little more than this, which is why I bought this.

Hence latest update is, I removed the 1 GB RAM (latency support 3,4,5) and the system has got only 2 GB single stick (latency support 4,5,6).

Its much better now when compared, but still am facing the very same slow performance issue...every thing seems to be fine. What might be the issue pls

Top Bottom