DDR2 or DDR3? Is Price 2 Performance justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksharatg

Broken In
Hi Guys,
What would be the performance difference between 4GB DDR2 800 MHz and 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM on a exactly same Hardware Configuration (CPU, MB, GPU, HDD etc).

4 GB DDR2 800 MHz is approx 4550.00 rupees (Kingston)
4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz is approx 6200.00 rupees (Kingston)
Price difference between DDR2 & DDR3 is around 1650.

Is the 1650 more for DDR3 is worth the money?

Please let me know which one offers better price to performance.

Thank you,

Regards,
Akshara.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Dude , firstly you can't run the same DDR2 and DDR3 ram on the same mobo unless they have support for the different ram slots... secondly going with DDR3 has advantages which would include being future proof also DDR3 has performance difference against the DDR2 counterpart

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Dude , firstly you can't run the same DDR2 and DDR3 ram on the same mobo unless they have support for the different ram slots... secondly going with DDR3 has advantages which would include being future proof also DDR3 has performance difference against the DDR2 counterpart

& 4Gb DDR3 from Transcend costs Rs.5200. so switch to Transcend will be better for OP. for such cost he will get G.skill or Corsair or Muskin.

OP
A

aksharatg

Broken In
Hi NoasArcAngel,
I completely agree with you that, there will be performance advantage in DDR3 compared to DDR2. My question was whether that performance advantage is worth the higher price tag.

There are mother boards that support both DDR2 & DDR3. U can use either use DDR2 or DDR3. But you will not be able to use both DDR2 & DDR3 together. Look at the below link.....
*www.tomshardware.com/news/MSi-Eight-Memory-Slots,7214.html

Regarding feature proof...... "If you have a 4GB RAM, then I don't see any necessity to upgrade the RAM in the next couple of years"....

Please correct me if I am wrong......

Thank you,

Regards,
Akshara.

yep definitely there would be performance boost and future upgrade of rams depends on kinda applications one uses as for most common basic use 2gb ddr ram is more than enough however for high end gaming or graphics development or audio-video editing even 12gb ddr3 2000mz becomes less some times . so choose which suits your needs however stick to ddr3.

acewin

Point Blanc
There are mother boards that support both DDR2 & DDR3. U can use either use DDR2 or DDR3. But you will not be able to use both DDR2 & DDR3 together. Look at the below link.....
*www.tomshardware.com/news/MSi...lots,7214.html
which costs 2-3K more than normal boards having support for only one.
DDR3 is all its worth after the prices for it reduced last year, not much decrement in price for neither DDR2 or DDR3 after that.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
which costs 2-3K more than normal boards having support for only one.
DDR3 is all its worth after the prices for it reduced last year, not much decrement in price for neither DDR2 or DDR3 after that.

+1. yes DDR2 & DDR3 supporting mobo cost more. so for that price, get a DDR3 only mobo & be futureproof & also save some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom