Dataone Automation (The Comprehensive Guide)

Was this content helpful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, there's been a lot of hue and cry about automatic configuration with dataone regarding the happy hours or free time.
Everyone wanted only one thing: Sleep Happy while Download Full without Getting Big Whobbling Bills.:lol:

One member even posted a tutorial regarding the process, but unfortunately it didn't work. :oops:

Here i tell you a step -by-step procedure of automation of your downloads with repect to download managers & torrent clients.
One thing to be noted here is unlike others, no third party software has been used for this procedure. :roll:

Note: This method only works, if you don't completely power off your system, that is dont switch off the main power supply. Also, i assume that you have kept your modem on and you never disable the LAN.

Step 1) Automatic Bootup From BIOS:

Instead of using third party softwares for automatic startup, we use a utility now available in most BIOS.
Note: This one is for Phoenix Award BIOS
a) Enter your BIOS at bootup by pressing del, F1, enter, etc.

b)Go to Power Management Tab and select the option of Automatic Power On.

c) Chose The Option for Scheduled Power on-> Set it Enabled-> Set it Daily-> Enter the time as 02/05/00 for dataone->Chose Startup Sequence as Automatic-> Press Esc.->Got to Exit and choose Save & Exit.

Note: You may change the timings as per your appropriation. However, bsnl's clock may not match with yours.

If u use passwords for logging in, you can follow these steps:

1) Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.

2) Type in the following:

control userpasswords2

now click OK

3) In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary logon.

Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.

4) Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users password.

Step 2) Configuring your torrent client.

This section explains how to configure torrent clients for automatic startup & downloading.
It uses a windows utility called as 'Task Schedular'

To open it,
Go to Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Scheduled Tasks.

a) Click Add a new task.

b)A windows will appear. Select Next

*img376.imageshack.us/img376/6145/task12fv.th.png

c)Select your torrent client from the list or click browse & then click next.

*img376.imageshack.us/img376/8849/task28us.th.png

d)
Select the option of daily"Daily" and click next.

*img376.imageshack.us/img376/3101/task33ws.th.png :roll:

e) In the start time column, fill in 2:10:00 AM and select Everyday and click Next.
*img390.imageshack.us/img390/4073/task48xf.th.png

f) There will be fields for username & password. The username field would have been filled automatically. If not, then enter the username you use to log on to your PC. In the password section, enter your password, if you use one. If not, leave them blank and click next.

*img390.imageshack.us/img390/8323/task52nt.th.png

Note: If u dont give a correct password or no password, then it will give you an error. Do not worry, check at the end of this section.

g)When the task is created, right click the task and select Properties.
If u have not entered the password or have got an error when adding the task, select 'Run only if logged on'.

*img353.imageshack.us/img353/2640/sgphoto200601041823353io.th.png

h) Click The Settings Tab.
Check "Stop if task runs for" and enter values as 5 hours 37 minutes. ( again it depends upon you). Click Ok.

*img459.imageshack.us/img459/1917/sgphoto200601041744184gl.th.png

This configures your client to run at 2:10 A.M. and shut down automatically at 7:47A.M.

For configuring the client settings, ( Here is an example of Bitcomet)
a) Click Prefereces-> Go To appearance and check the options of 'Auto -resume tasks on startup'.

*img361.imageshack.us/img361/6552/bc12vy.th.png

This ensures that whenever the client starts, it will automatically start downloading the tasks.
Imp: Whenever closing the client, ensure that you don't stop the tasks or else the next time, they won't start automatically.

Some users may be using DAP as their download managers. For them,
1. Start Download Accelerator Plus->Go to Tools Menu->Options.

2. In General, check "Launch DAP on startup".

3. Select Schedular and check "Start Schedular at" and select Daily and enter start time as 2:10:00 A.M. and also check "Stop Schedular at" and enter values as 7:50:00 A.M.
You may also want to shut down the pc. For that check the options...
'Hang up Modem', 'Quit Download Accelerator' and 'Shutdown computer'.
Click close.

*img353.imageshack.us/img353/1497/dap12mi.th.png

Step 3) Automating Shutdown

Now, the final step is shutting down the pc after the downloading.
We saw how it can be done with DAP above.
For others, here's a guide..
a) Right click on the Desktop.
Left click on New > Shortcut.

*www.tacktech.com/images/articles/316/right-click.png

b) In the Type the location of the item: textbox enter
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
Click the Next > button.

*www.tacktech.com/images/articles/316/shortcut1a.png

c) In the Type a name for this shortcut: textbox enter Shutdown. Click Finish.

This creates a shortcut on the desktop which shuts down the pc.

d) Now, again go to Task Schedular->Add new task.
Choose the file "shutdown" just created. Click Next..

e) Again, select perform this task Daily, choose start time as 7:53 A.M. Click Next...

f)
The username field would have been filled automatically. If not, then enter the username you use to log on to your PC. In the password section, enter your password, if you use one. If not, leave them blank and click next.

g) Click Finish. Now, again right click on task, click properties and ensure that the 'Run only if logged on' box is checked. Click OK.

Now, the procedure will be as follows:

Startup at 2:05 AM,
Client Starts at 2:10 AM ( Dap downloads at 2:10AM)
Client stops at 7:47AM ( Dap stops downloads at 7:50AM)
Computer shuts down at 7:53 AM.

I hope this short manual was useful.
Any replies, suggestions, or comments are welcome.
8)

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
one BIG question Mr.Wise Guy

how wud u ensure logging in on Windows XP/2003???

reply that and i guarantee that ur idea is the greatest (for that time until when another greatest emerges)

Prav.

PS: not meant to annoy the original author... just in order to safe-guard the n00bs...

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
cool_dude_prav said:

reply that and i guarantee that ur idea is the greatest (for that time until when another greatest emerges)

Prav.

Even simpler method....

control userpasswords2

now click OK

3) In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary logon.

4) Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users password.

Click OK when you are done!

naveenpoddar

Journeyman
@yrana2002: I am using Phoneix Award BIOS only for my RS480 mobo. but there is no option for Automatic Power-ON. or like that. If there is any other alternative pls suggest .

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
yrana2002 said:
cool_dude_prav said:

Prav.

Even simpler method....

control userpasswords2

now click OK

Click OK when you are done!

thanks for the reply... my post was only meant as a reminder to ur slight mistake. now u can edit ur original post to incl. the same...

Prav.

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
naveenpoddar said:
@yrana2002: I am using Phoneix Award BIOS only for my RS480 mobo. but there is no option for Automatic Power-ON. or like that. If there is any other alternative pls suggest .

The Bios that i'm having is the IBM Pheonix Award BIOS 2CKT20AUS.
Just check more deeply, there maybe some other option not exactly as Automatic Power On, but something in the Power Managment section.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Even I've I posted a detailed tutorial regarding this. But somehow I'm not able to find out. Also I cant believe that you can tell that it does not work. IT DOES. I have tried and tested it and thats the way I download my stuff from the net during the free period. Mr. Rana, plz tell me why it doesn't work and what was the workaround you came up with.

@navjodpoddar-Dude, even I've got the same motherboard. Go to the BIOS settings and go to Power Management Setup. Later, set the wake-up time and the date(set the date to 0 for everyday start). Set the time. Save the setting and you are done!!

P.S-Unfortunately I dont have my broadband connection now as I used to surf the whole day and the bill mounted a lot Hope my tutorial also worked.

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
phreak0utt said:
Even I've I posted a detailed tutorial regarding this. But somehow I'm not able to find out. Also I cant believe that you can tell that it does not work. IT DOES. I have tried and tested it and thats the way I download my stuff from the net during the free period. Mr. Rana, plz tell me why it doesn't work and what was the workaround you came up with.

You see i did not mention your tutorial here. I indicated the one by Mario_pant. Somehow, the method indicated there doesnt work with my pc.

Its because i dont dial into my connection. I have an always-on-connection( PPPoE). So, it doesnt work for this matter.

Also, i am really happy with this method as there isnt much electricity consumed when the pc is off, rather than on standby.

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, Mario, i'm indeed surprised by your reply.
now i see my name being mentioned here and that too with wrong aligations on me....

If you have searched the whole post properly, i dont see any kindof Wrong Allegations:rolleyes: been put to you.

Neither did anyone critisize you for your tutorial. Even i think it was a good one, but just like others & mine too, it didnt work for some. Its absolutely normal.

I still dont understand your reaction. :confused:

BTW, yes, you better mind your language there. You cant punch somebody and say that you were sorry..:eek:

Savvy:!:

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
cyberzook said:
I have Intel 865 GBF board.. I can't find auto on feature.. Is it there in this board? Help

Well, as far as my knowledge tells me, there is an Auto-Power On feature in your indicated motherboard.

When you enter the BIOS settings, go & search around anything related to Power settings.(the tab names may not correspond to the ones indicated here).
I think you'll find it.

cyberzook

Journeyman
yrana2002 said:
Well, as far as my knowledge tells me, there is an Auto-Power On feature in your indicated motherboard.

When you enter the BIOS settings, go & search around anything related to Power settings.(the tab names may not correspond to the ones indicated here).
I think you'll find it.

But I did not find any.. I have even checked the manual for 865 board...
anyone plz find it for me..(if its there)
Desperately need this

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Of course, its worked for me, thats the reason i posted this tutorial.

I have already mentioned. Those who dont have this Auto-power on facilitated BIOS, this method may not work for them.
They should try to put the pc on Standby rather than Shut it Down and use a program to wake it up on a scheduled time while the rest of the procedure follows the same pattern.

Savvy :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom