Data usage of internet increases to 15mb only on opening google

vaibhav23

In the zone
I have formatted my pc on this Tuesday and after that installed avast and comodo firewall.But found that I am getting bad download speeds.So I uninstalled Comodo and after that see that my usage has gone to 15MB in 6 min on opening google.The usage goes on increasing
Before I used Kaspersky and never such a thing had happened.
Is there anyway to find which software is causing the trouble

probably avast is dowloading updates..
start your pc in safe mode (with networking) then see ..

it can also be another background process using the internet
if you are using win 7 then go to resource manager n task manager , then see what process are using your connection

OP
vaibhav23

vaibhav23

In the zone
I have put update to manual.But I read in the update section that"last update attempt 3 min ago"
I am not using windows 7

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
from within comodo firewall you can check which process is eating how much data. also don't forget windows automatic update.

OP
vaibhav23

vaibhav23

In the zone
from within comodo firewall you can check which process is eating how much data. also don't forget windows automatic update.
Is avast 6.0 enough or should I install comodo firewall.My download speeds had dropped due to comodo:cry:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ are you sure its cause of Comodo firewall or have you installed the bundled A/V. also, is your comodo firewall upto date? i last used comodo firewall more than a year ago & then it didn't have any auto update thing if i remember correctly. so maybe comodo introduced auto update in recent version.

alternate firewall: zone alarm (~150Mb) or Online Armor Free. you may use default windows firewall too.

OP
vaibhav23

vaibhav23

In the zone
No I am not sure it was comodo or not but my download speeds have increased.
Yes it has ask on update feature

Today I again tried downloading and I got speeds till 20 KBps.Please help me.
Do you think it is a problem on BSNL's part as yesterday evening I got speeds upto 160 KBps.The problem only occurs during 2 a.m - 8 a.m.
Another thing is that it during this time there are frequent disconnections and adsl takes a lot of time to become stable

Last edited:

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Mention your plan and promised speed.

20 KBps = 160 Kbps.

If you doubt firewall is causing any issue, turn it off and check.

Rajesh345

Youngling
No I am not sure it was comodo or not but my download speeds have increased.
Yes it has ask on update feature

Today I again tried downloading and I got speeds till 20 KBps.Please help me.
Do you think it is a problem on BSNL's part as yesterday evening I got speeds upto 160 Kbps.The problem only occurs during 2 a.m - 8 a.m.
Another thing is that it during this time there are frequent disconnections and adsl takes a lot of time to become stable

Mayb U installed old version of commodo and C Firewall was updating itself to latest ?

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Did you try disabling firewall and AV ? It should give you somewhere around 2 Mbps. Try some Linux torrent and report the speed.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you wanna check which softwares are accessing net silently, install Netbalancer, its a good 1, showsup all hidden processess going on while you are online ... i 2 had same problem, it helped me a lot ..... try it

thanks a lot for the link and info on Netbalancer - I first came to know about this from Digit mag but forgot the app name - this is the only freeware that offers limited bandwidth management . Once again I can use this useful app ;-)

BTW, to monitor network connections I use networx apps NetStat feature ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ so what app was using all that bandwidth ... have you found that - this might be helpful to others.

u r welcome my frd ... thats why this wonderful forum is about, helping frds ...

rightly said .. ;-)

bt quite curious, so who was eating bandwith ???

only OP can tell that.

OP
vaibhav23

vaibhav23

In the zone
yes I had installed an older version of comodo firewall which I had from before.Its was updating itself and another software of the name of geek help that came with comodo also was automatically updating.Due to this the bandwith was being eaten
The slow speeds are due to BSNL's servers and it will rectified soon as told by them

Top Bottom